View Full Version : so i'm taking myself off paxil

DeadSwan
01-18-2003, 12:24 PM
wish me luck. i'm gonna need it.

jenniferkate
01-18-2003, 12:27 PM
on the bright side youll be able to try e now.

strange_one
01-18-2003, 12:27 PM
<font color=33FFFF> good luck to you, I've been on 20mg for the past 14 months now, and I don't think I'm coming off anytime soon

:(</font>

DeadSwan
01-18-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by jenniferkate
on the bright side youll be able to try e now.

heh. yes. i was just talking to my friend about that the other day. i think we'll do it together. well. if i can do this :erm

Affect
01-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Good luck. Hardest drug I've ever come off of. This was almost four years ago.

Brain flashes and voices. Not a fun time.

You should try to taper you dose down slowly. As in lower it once a week.

DeadSwan
01-18-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by strange_one
<font color=33FFFF> good luck to you, I've been on 20mg for the past 14 months now, and I don't think I'm coming off anytime soon

:(</font>

you could always try liquid paxil..you can lower the dosage by as little as 1 milligram...and you can take as long as you need...

i'm just sick of it. totally and completely. i'm scared, too, b/c i graduate in a few months and i need to find an apt. by may and all this other bullshit...but i want to do it before i have to get a job and be a real adult. it's mostly the fatigue that bothers me. you know. sleeping 12-16 hours a day. i've been secretly weaning myself off for the last month and so far i don't feel bad at all, although i've started having hand tremors again. i guess the difference this time is i know it's all withdrawl, and not my fault...so i'm just gonna try to get through it. *sigh*. 8 years is a long time.

strange_one
01-18-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Affect

<font color=33FFFF> I read you can get some sort of liquid paxil that you can take in 1mg doses, do you know anything about that? it'd make lowering a little easier by the sounds of it

edit: don't worry it has been mentioned above:)</font>

DeadSwan
01-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Good luck. Hardest drug I've ever come off of. This was almost four years ago.

Brain flashes and voices. Not a fun time.

oh yeah. i did that my senior year of high school. tapered down over 2 months...was fine for a month, then i bottomed out. brain zaps, or flashes, like you called them. fucking suicidal and crazy. so um. yeah. it's goddamned hard. at least you were able to do it.
i guess i can, too.

strange_one
01-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by DeadSwan

i'm just sick of it. totally and completely.
<font color=33FFFF> I'm totally sick of it as well, but I don't have too much trouble with it, other than the apathy, it doesn't make me sleep longer or anything.
it sounds like it is best that you try come off it now, I agree with that, you don't want to get a job and then be sick because of coming off the drug</font>

strange_one
01-18-2003, 12:36 PM
<font color=33FFFF> do the brain zaps actually hurt or what? I can't even begin to imagine what they feel like, I have not tried tapering once yet. the longest I went without a dose was about 48hrs, and all I had was a bad headache and other flu-type symptoms</font>

strange_one
01-18-2003, 12:38 PM

you could always try liquid paxil...
<font color=33FFFF> and as for that, I'm not sure I could even get it down here, I mentioned it to a few doctors and they had no idea what I was talking about, I should ask the pharmacist next time</font>

shaniqua
yeah, what affect said.

very hard. glad i'm off it. you will be too.

Affect

oh yeah. i did that my senior year of high school. tapered down over 2 months...was fine for a month, then i bottomed out. brain zaps, or flashes, like you called them. fucking suicidal and crazy. so um. yeah. it's goddamned hard. at least you were able to do it.
i guess i can, too. You can.

And yes, the brain zaps hurt. Looking hurts. Closing your eyes hurts.

DeadSwan, I recommend you pick up some 5-htp, and take three pills a day. It might help you out.

strange_one
01-18-2003, 12:40 PM
<font color=33FFFF> I hate the fact that I was dumb enough to fall for taking them before I did any research and found out the truth behind the drug. I really doubt I will be able to get off for a long time either, my problem is not depression, it is a type of anxiety where I constantly need to urinate once I leave the house. I'm afraid that if I do successfully wean off paxil that I'll just get the old symptoms back again and it would have all been for nothing</font>

DeadSwan
01-18-2003, 12:42 PM
You can.

what is that? where can i find it?

and thanks

AND

well. my brain zaps didn't really hurt. it felt like an electrical shock going through my brain. i could even hear them. it sort of felt like i was coming out of my head...if that makes any sense?

edit: OOPS. didn't mean to delete that part of the quote.

strange_one
01-18-2003, 12:44 PM

well. my brain zaps didn't really hurt. it felt like an electrical shock going through my brain. i could even hear them. it sort of felt like i was coming out of my head...if that makes any sense?
<font color=33FFFF> is it sorta like the sound static electricity makes when you touch and shock something, or is it totally different to that?
that's just how I always thought they'd feel</font>

DeadSwan
01-18-2003, 12:44 PM
<font color=33FFFF> I hate the fact that I was dumb enough to fall for taking them before I did any research and found out the truth behind the drug. I really doubt I will be able to get off for a long time either, my problem is not depression, it is a type of anxiety where I constantly need to urinate once I leave the house. I'm afraid that if I do successfully wean off paxil that I'll just get the old symptoms back again and it would have all been for nothing</font>

whatever you do, DO NOT let them up your dosage.

Affect
01-18-2003, 12:45 PM

what is that? where can i find it?

and thanks

AND

edit: OOPS. didn't mean to delete that part of the quote. GNC or any online health store. I get mine online.

Look into it.

strange_one
01-18-2003, 12:46 PM

whatever you do, DO NOT let them up your dosage.
<font color=33FFFF> yeah no way, I will tell them to get fucked if they even slightly mention it to me. I guess I'm sort of grateful that I'm only on 20mg though and not more</font>

DeadSwan
01-18-2003, 12:46 PM

<font color=33FFFF> is it sorta like the sound static electricity makes when you touch and shock something, or is it totally different to that?
that's just how I always thought they'd feel</font>

hmm. kinda sorta? it's IN your brain, though...like...electricity passing through...ever had an electrical shock? you know, touched a live wire or something? it's SORT OF like that. it's pretty unique, though. i don't know if i can adequately describe it.

DeadSwan
01-18-2003, 12:47 PM
GNC or any online health store. I get mine online.

Look into it.

ok, i will. thank you.

strange_one
01-18-2003, 12:48 PM

..like...electricity passing through...ever had an electrical shock? you know, touched a live wire or something? it's SORT OF like that.
<font color=33FFFF> oh ok, I still don't quite get it but thanks for trying to explain. I guess I'll find out what it feels like one day</font>

Travis Meekz
01-18-2003, 03:19 PM
I was on it last year for like 8 months for panic attacks. It is a horrible drug in my opinion. Made me really apathetic, unfocused and tired. I got off it last summer when it made me limp while fornicating. I decided to get off right away and cut down from 30mg to 10mg and then nothing in like 2 weeks. It sucked but it wasn't that bad. Yeah the brain zaps suck, they're real but I didn't think they hurt at all, just a wierd feeling. You'll feel kind of dizzy too but I totally recommend doing it right away and cutting down as fast as you can. A week later you'll feel alot better, more in tune with reality and awake and happy you don't have to be on those shitty pills (or liquid)

twice
01-18-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by jenniferkate
on the bright side youll be able to try e now. the first thought i had when i read the thread title. DO IT. :)

Apart
01-18-2003, 08:24 PM

i guess i can, too.

hah. you are such a pathetic fucking loser.

go do some e you waste. it just *might* cheer you up for a day. my god.

Apart
01-18-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by twice

now you can be as much of a loser as this waste^

yay!!

My lgloo
01-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Paxil and other SSRIs are powderkegs waiting to fuck your mind over.

They are only understood "in theory" and had incredibly mixed
and unpredictable results in the testing stage.

www.prozacspotlight.org

Yet doctors give them out like candy. A hyped mental "cure all" for
people who could probably be easily treated with a few sessions
with a therepist.

I've been on 'em, and they are hell in pill form.

Actually, I don't even think they're any help to really crazy
people either...unless you call going crazier a benifit.

TiaraGurl
01-18-2003, 09:41 PM
I realize now how much anxiety I have that Ia m off paxil but I am in a better place than I was when I went on it in 1998. (took it for 3 years)

Just be ready to have to sit down a lot I felt really light headed.

I sometimes miss the trippy technicolor paxil induced dreams.

Affect
01-18-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by TiaraGurl
I realize now how much anxiety I have that Ia m off paxil but I am in a better place than I was when I went on it in 1998. (took it for 3 years)

Just be ready to have to sit down a lot I felt really light headed.

I sometimes miss the trippy technicolor paxil induced dreams. The go do some acid, fuckbag.

strange_one
01-18-2003, 10:05 PM

I sometimes miss the trippy technicolor paxil induced dreams.
<font color=33FFFF> yeah I gotta say, that is the only thing I would miss about the drug, in the last year I have had the best, most realistic dreams I have ever had. but then I've also had some killer nightmares too</font>

My lgloo
01-18-2003, 10:10 PM
I realize now how much anxiety I have that Ia m off paxil

Drugs are a passive treatment.

Anxiety is caused by thought, and thought is a habit, and it is
possible to change the way you think with practice.

How can you expect to change if you're not activly practicing change?

Travis Meekz
01-19-2003, 12:48 AM

<font color=33FFFF> but then I've also had some killer nightmares too</font>

my dreams were horrible. like everything that could ever go wrong per night

Smiley33
01-19-2003, 12:58 AM
how the hell did you guys come to take paxil in the first place? did you tell your doctor you were depressed and he handed you a prescription?

fucking shit. why the hell would a doctor give you something that is so physically addictive?

Travis Meekz
01-19-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Smiley33
how the hell did you guys come to take paxil in the first place? did you tell your doctor you were depressed and he handed you a prescription?

fucking shit. why the hell would a doctor give you something that is so physically addictive?

I got it because of panic attacks....the doctor gave me paxil because I needed to chill the fuck out but I didn't want anything stronger (xanex which she offered without much haste). They market it as a wonder drug which I believe it is not. But some people strive on it. Like any drug I guess, works for some, not others. But it did help out a bit I guess, calmed me down to stop the panic attacks (which are bad thinking patterns), and then I got off it relatively easily. But I do hate that fucking drug overall.

strange_one
01-19-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Smiley33

<font color=33FFFF> at the time I didn't know much about anti-depressants, and all I wanted to do was feel better so when the doctor said 'here, try these' I had no reason to back away. the drug has helped me and changed my life, I can now go out and shop around for cds/comics in the city all day without even thinking I need to urinate, but it still isn't worth it, I wish I could go back in time and know then what I know now, I would have seeked alternative treatment.</font>

Best Looking Boy
01-19-2003, 01:19 AM
I hate to be an ass but this bothers me. I get depressed as much as the next person but I've never felt the need to get some ass of a doctor to give me some sort of medication. What is so tough about coping with your life? Maybe one of you might actually need this stuff but for fucksake...

strange_one
01-19-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Best Looking Boy
I hate to be an ass but this bothers me. I get depressed as much as the next person but I've never felt the need to get some ass of a doctor to give me some sort of medication. What is so tough about coping with your life? Maybe one of you might actually need this stuff but for fucksake...
<font color=33FFFF> I realize that about 90% of people that take the drug don't really need to, but when you are uneducated about paxil and a doctor offers you something when you feel like shit that may make things easier, it is only natural to take it. I'm not sure about depression, but when you have an anxiety problem you are pretty much willing to try anything to feel better again</font>

Travis Meekz
01-19-2003, 01:39 AM

it's different than that. I would had said the same thing a year and a half ago. In anxiety situations, you begin to freak yourself out....like all of a sudden at a Tool concert I had my first panic attack and passed out for a couple seconds....after that I was thinking "oh fuck, what was that, what is wrong with me, what if it suddenly happens when I'm driving or shopping" and you think it all the time. Taking paxil gives you something to come down, to look at what you're doing and try to change that thinking pattern which is hard to do. It's not like waking up saying, fuck today sucks, I'm gonna go get pills. But yes, for many, many people it is like that.

Best Looking Boy
01-19-2003, 01:44 AM
It sounds like you have a geniune problem. I probably shouldn't have used depression as an example since it is a totally different playing field. What you described seemed pretty shitty, but I still feel that you are the exception to the rule.

My lgloo
01-19-2003, 01:45 AM
I get depressed as much as the next person but I've never felt the need to get some ass of a doctor to give me some sort of medication. What is so tough about coping with your life? Maybe one of you might actually need this stuff but for fucksake...

There are transient moods of positivity and negitivity in everyone's
life. That's normal. But being depressed for long periods of time is an
indication that it may need professional treatment. So what?
It doesn't mean you're not "as tough as the next person".

In fact, it's probably more UNhealthy to go through life "toughing it out"
when you could have a legitimate problem.

But I also agree that effective treatment of depression HAS to
involve a degree of pro-activity on behalf of the sufferer. You can't
just sit there chomping on pills & crapping on to a therepist and wonder
why "I'M NOT GETTING BETTUR!!!1".

HIPPY IGGY: You've got to <i>be</i> the change you want to see

TiaraGurl
01-19-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by My lgloo

Drugs are a passive treatment.

Anxiety is caused by thought, and thought is a habit, and it is
possible to change the way you think with practice.

How can you expect to change if you're not activly practicing change?

um i got to therapy twice a week. Drugs may be a passive treatment in your opinion but at the time I went on the paxil I was in an awful place and was possibly going to hurt myself or someone else.

Affect-only my mother is allowed to call me fuckbag mmmkay?

My lgloo
01-19-2003, 01:48 AM
<font color=33FFFF> I can now go out and shop around for cds/comics in the city all day without even thinking I need to urinate.</font>

p.s.

...huh?

My lgloo
01-19-2003, 01:50 AM
Drugs may be a passive treatment in your opinion but at the time I went on the paxil I was in an awful place and was possibly going to hurt myself or someone else.

It takes several weeks for paxil to actually start working.

They would have been better off putting you under observation
if you were in immediate danger.

strange_one
01-19-2003, 01:52 AM

p.s.

...huh?

<font color=33FFFF> I mentioned about my problem earlier in the thread, I had trouble going anywhere because I'd constantly need to urinate, and it would be all I could think about. if I ever had to drive somewhere I always had public toilets mapped out in my head, and different places I could stop to piss without being seen, and if I went somewhere that had no toilets around I'd freak out. it was getting to the stage where I was worried I'd just piss my pants in public eventually, that probably sounds funny I guess but it seriously sucks to feel that way. so once I started taking the paxil, after a few weeks I hardly thought about it anymore. there have been a few times when I have felt the old nervousness coming back, but it is controllable enough to cope with</font>

TiaraGurl
01-19-2003, 01:53 AM

They would have been better off putting you under observation
if you were in immediate danger.

I was on it for three years it did work. Ia m so glad youare here to judge everyones experiences with RX drugs.

strange_one
01-19-2003, 01:54 AM

<font color=33FFFF> it depends on the dosage I think, if you start on 20mg you won't notice a difference in your life for a few weeks, but if you knock down 40-60mg daily then you'd feel it within a few days I think and suicidal tendencies would subside</font>

My lgloo
01-19-2003, 02:00 AM
Ia m so glad youare here to judge everyones experiences with RX drugs.

That's ok! "http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon10.gif"

Where have I judged anyone?

<font color=33FFFF>that probably sounds funny I guess </font>

No way! I'm paranoid that I'll be dying
to take a slash and won't be able to go in public, and I'll probably
piss my pantaloons or die of a ruptured bladder.

TiaraGurl
01-19-2003, 02:10 AM
You assert that they are hell in pil form which I agree in some ways is true they were a bitch ti get off when I stopped taking it but for me I thought it was a good drug I should have been in therpay when I first went on it. I agree things get handed out liek candy these days but I suppose I said that youwere bing judgemental because you have all these statements like drugs are a passive treatment well they may be but 5 years ago they worked for me and in the 2 years since I went off them I feel okay.

anyway the whole bathroom thing confused me.

My lgloo
01-19-2003, 02:15 AM
Jeesuz Chrust...talk about a persecution complex.

Just cuz I say pillz are passive and yackity schmackity doesn't
mean I'm blaming you for inventing them and making them readily
available to goth teens.

SHEESH!

Lie
01-19-2003, 02:25 AM
I was fortunate enough to know a lot about the addictive and long-term properties of Paxil before I started taking it. I made a deal with myself that I was going to be very careful about it and if I had any bad feelings about it I would immediately stop taking it. I quit taking it after about two weeks, and after having now heard stories about people being dependant on it for years, I'm convinced it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

I've talked about this before on here, but it might be helpful to know that taking Paxil as a medication for any psychological problem is pretty much a shot in the dark, and at the same time it seems to be pushed more freely than just about any other drug of its kind. It does <i>something</i> to your brain chemistry, but no one knows exactly what. The advertising campaigns done citing it as a cure for first social anxiety and then general anxiety are both basically scams. It was originally a run-of-the-mill antidepressant that a lot of patients just didn't react positively too, so they started moving it around into other areas, trying it out on new disorders. Of all the people I've heard of or talked to who have been on Paxil, at least 90% have had overall negative experiences. The only reason they can get away with it is because psychiatry at this point is still such a joke.