View Full Version : Neil Young - Heart of Gold (The Movie)

Raskolnikov
03-31-2006, 02:53 PM
So, has anybody else seen this? If you're not familiar with it, check out www.heartofgoldmovie.com - it's a movie that recently previewed at Sundance and now is out for semi-general release.

I caught it at home in Irvine a few weeks ago. It was radical to see Neil on the big screen, and I thought that the cinematography was wonderful... but I was a bit dissapointed overall. I loved the talk between songs and the few moments (literally) of documentary at the beginning, I would of loved to have more of that stuff and less of the songs. It gave me more of an appreciation for Prarie Wind - which I think is a pretty darn good album overall.

What did you guys think of it?

-adam

Nothing/everything
03-31-2006, 03:58 PM
The small piece of old man in the trailer gave me goosebumps. Prairie wind isn't that bad, but it's not stunning either.

In other news: N/E's Neil Young album of the moment: On the beach. This album is stunning.

spring
03-31-2006, 09:13 PM
In other news: N/E's Neil Young album of the moment: On the beach. This album is stunning.

that's an awesome album!

Raskolnikov
04-02-2006, 01:28 AM
I agree about Prairie Wind - not stunning, but decent.

Haven't heard On The Beach... will check it out, though. The guy only has a few hundred albums, I'll have to dig that one up sometime.

I recently got the unplugged - I really like the "Like A Hurricane" on there, cool organ intro.

Travis Meeks
04-02-2006, 03:00 AM
I think that Prairie Wind is stunning. I don't know what it is but I couldn't put that CD down for about 2 months. Anyone have the enhanced version with the DVD? It's great....each song was cut as one take with all the old fogey musicians playing.

On The Beach is awesome too....Ambulance Blues is one of his best songs

redbreegull
04-02-2006, 03:51 AM
I saw this when it came out. I thought the whole thing was beautiful (musically and visually). I didn't really like the documentary part at the beginning. It was just his band rambling about absolutely nothing. I'm glad it was mostly music. But overall I thought the movie was one of the best concert movies I've seen.

Nothing/everything
04-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Haven't heard On The Beach... will check it out, though. The guy only has a few hundred albums, I'll have to dig that one up sometime.

well basically you can buy Rust Never Sleeps and everything before that. Well maybe except American stars n bars. Isn't very impressive.

TuralyonW3
04-03-2006, 07:09 PM
well basically you can buy Rust Never Sleeps and everything before that. Well maybe except American stars n bars. Isn't very impressive.

uuuuhhhhh, how about freedom, weld, sleeps with angels, broken arrow, silver&gold, etc??

Raskolnikov
04-03-2006, 10:53 PM
uuuuhhhhh, how about freedom, weld, sleeps with angels, broken arrow, silver&gold, etc??

Seriously, man... Silver and Gold, Harvest Moon, Weld... all are definate winners.

Rockin' Cherub
04-04-2006, 11:23 AM
just don't by his 80s albums i guess

RopeyLopey
04-04-2006, 05:15 PM
is the movie better than Year of the Horse?

Nothing/everything
04-04-2006, 05:44 PM

rockin in the free world makes me puke, weld is nostalgia live stuff, sleeps with angels is pretty ok, broken arrow i haven't heard yet and silver and gold i didn't really enjoy. Ragged glory however......
Seriously, they're not bad (especially compared to crap like trans and reactor and whatnot), but they're just nothing compared to his 70ies output.

Just to get another discussion going: A man needs a maid, and especially there's a world are kitschy songs that fuck up Harvest.

transluscent
04-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Radiohead do an amazing version of On The Beach!

TuralyonW3
04-04-2006, 09:37 PM
rockin in the free world makes me puke, weld is nostalgia live stuff, sleeps with angels is pretty ok, broken arrow i haven't heard yet and silver and gold i didn't really enjoy. Ragged glory however......
Seriously, they're not bad (especially compared to crap like trans and reactor and whatnot), but they're just nothing compared to his 70ies output.

Just to get another discussion going: A man needs a maid, and especially there's a world are kitschy songs that fuck up Harvest.

Ragged Glory is as good as his 70s stuff. Make sure to check out Broken Arrow, it's big jammy songs w/crazy horse in the style of cowgirl in the sand.

I totally agree, Harvest has some great songs and weak ass songs.