View Full Version : has anyone used priceline? (cheap airline tix needed)

pink_ribbon_scars
03-11-2006, 08:44 PM
flying home to louisville from houston is really expensive. does anyone have any cheap flight tips, or have any of you saved money with priceline? any stories or tips would be awesome. thanks.

Pinnacle
03-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't used Priceline before due to the fact that I prefer to know all of the details of my trip in advance rather than what they choose to give me. However, I've used Kayak before as a search tool and have had positive results thus far.

http://www.kayak.com

It compares a number of airlines and shows you which one is the cheapest and least number of stops.

wHATcOLOR
03-11-2006, 10:57 PM
i've used priceline twice and each time afterwards swore i'd never do it again. i'm still holding strong after the second time, and that was probably no later than 1999 or 2000.

the reason why i don't like it is you have absolutely no control over the arrival and departure times, and when i was flying home from school my dad would have to drive 1.5 hours to boston (and he complains about the traffic always), and EACH single time it was at an ungodly hour. arrivals at like 11:50 pm of the day, so that whole day counts as nothing, departures at like 5 am, meaning we get up at like 1 in the morning to get ready.

i felt awful inconveniencing him that much, even though he said it wasn't a big deal, i decided for myself that it was and swore i'd never do it again.

i suppose it is possible that you can end up with a-ok times for you flights, but that was not my experience by a long shot.

when i need a flight, i search:

www.orbitz.com
www.jetblue.com
www.flysong.com
www.southwest.com
www.expedia.com
www.travelocity.com

i used to use a download called sidestep, that was pretty good, don't know if it still exists

EDIT:

if you're on a very flexible travel schedule and don't have to worry about inconveniencing anyone, and price is THE most important factor, it's probably gonna be a good site for you though

Nimrod's Son
03-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Kayak is good.

I usually find the best deals however on the airlines' websites themselves. Often times they will have exclusive deals posted there.

Geek USA
03-12-2006, 12:19 AM
Kayak is good.

I usually find the best deals however on the airlines' websites themselves. Often times they will have exclusive deals posted there.

this is true

Toby
03-12-2006, 12:25 AM
sidestep is good

FearFactory
03-12-2006, 01:03 AM
I booked my flight through travelocity with no problems. I've heard many, many bad things about priceline.

bornentertainer
03-12-2006, 01:26 AM
I've found the cheapest flights through southwest.com and orbitz.

The Stars Fell
03-12-2006, 01:40 AM
orbitz.

Skellington
03-12-2006, 02:14 AM
Travel Cuts (http://www.travelcuts.ca)

That's a really good site, especially if you are a student.

sppunk
03-12-2006, 10:59 AM
http://www.mobissimo.com/search_airfare.php

Ghetto_Squirrel
03-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Southwest serves airports in both Houston and Louisville. If you book far enough in advance you can get tickets that are amazingly cheap. I think I paid like $35 each way over holiday from school last year.

sppunk
03-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Actually, booking Southwest within three/four weeks of your trip is cheapest.

They don't publish schedules more than four/five months ahead of time, and they publish their specials a month out.

pink_ribbon_scars
03-12-2006, 06:56 PM
thanks so much for all the advice. i'm going to work with a lot of the info that's been given to me. wow, jetblue really is cheap. isn't it?

as far as trains go, is amtrak the only real choice or not?

if the Houtson->Louisville->Houston tickets don't get cheaper on Southwest, i could go to Austin and fly to NYC and spend a couple of days there with my friends, then fly from NYC to Richmond and take a train to DC and spend a day there and stay over with a friend, then take a train to Cincinatti and get a ride home from my parents. Cincinnatti is as close to my home as Louisville is -- about an hour away.

i haven't decided yet, but if i have spare time that sounds like it would be pretty fun and actually as cheap as any flights that are available now. i'd still have to buy a flight back to Houston, but even after buying that it would be basically just as cheap as the current RT flights between the two citites, and the longer trip would be an altogether cool experience. i know i'd end up spending more money, but not a lot more and it would be worth it for the fun.

sppunk
03-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Amtrak is usually more expensive than flying when going long distance.

JetBlue also has the U.S.'s worst on-time performance. Just a FYI.

And, why not just fly from Houston to NYC (which will most always be cheaper), then fly from NYC to BWI, which is cheap as fuck.

agenda suicide
03-12-2006, 07:10 PM
thanks so much for all the advice. i'm going to work with a lot of the info that's been given to me. wow, jetblue really is cheap. isn't it?

as far as trains go, is amtrak the only real choice or not?

if the Houtson->Louisville->Houston tickets don't get cheaper on Southwest, i could go to Austin and fly to NYC and spend a couple of days there with my friends, then fly from NYC to Richmond and take a train to DC and spend a day there and stay over with a friend, then take a train to Cincinatti and get a ride home from my parents. Cincinnatti is as close to my home as Louisville is -- about an hour away.

i haven't decided yet, but if i have spare time that sounds like it would be pretty fun and actually as cheap as any flights that are available now. i'd still have to buy a flight back to Houston, but even after buying that it would be basically just as cheap as the current RT flights between the two citites, and the longer trip would be an altogether cool experience. i know i'd end up spending more money, but not a lot more and it would be worth it for the fun.
hahaha that sounds pretty complicated. My flight to Chicago was almost $400 because I didn't wanna make the 3 hour drive to Houston for a probably cheaper and direct flight. I'm connecting in random places.

wHATcOLOR
03-12-2006, 07:26 PM
each time i flew jet blue i was real happy with it, if it was late, it wasn't by very much. the one complaint was the one time the plane was brand new and the direcTV stuff hadn't been configured yet, so as far as airline complaints go, that's pretty minor. also of particular interest to pink_ribbon_scars, in general, the odds of having an attractive female flight attendant seem to be highest on jet blue. one time i was sitting in the back and this one asked me what i wanted to drink and for some reason i said a shot of jager.. anyhow, she ended up sitting in the empty seat next to me for most of the flight and told me about how she was using various men for money and gifts. i learned quite a bit