View Full Version : Who else loves Lily?

Lord Lemons
02-27-2006, 10:18 PM
I havent seen that many people who show interest in Lily (moao). PLEZ 'SPLAIN

wHATcOLOR
02-27-2006, 10:22 PM
i love Lily and i love you, Lord Lemons

wHATcOLOR
02-27-2006, 10:24 PM
i was thinking the other day about how the songwriters i admire more these days seem to write songs that are like short stories, and i was trying to think of examples where bill's songs actually tell a story, and i was disheartened to realize that they are few and far between. lily sort of tells a story, and i like it, and the music is wonderful as well. but it made me realize that so many of bill's songs are just repeating phrases and saying vague things that don't seem to mean very much anymore

Mablak
02-27-2006, 10:27 PM
I love this song, it almost seems like the only attempt at humor ever found in a real pumpkins song too ;].

Lord Lemons
02-27-2006, 10:30 PM
I just noticed a couple ago days ago, was Billy trying to make him sound like a creepy stalker at the end of the song. That really made me like the song a little less.

wHATcOLOR
02-27-2006, 10:30 PM
I love this song, it almost seems like the only attempt at humor ever found in a real pumpkins song too ;].

someone please tell Mablack that bill said Pennies is a rare example of actual pumpkins humor in a song

edit: fuck i'll do it myself. hey Mablack, bill said that Pennies is a very rare example of actual pumpkins humor in a song

http://www.starla.org/history/burlap/songs/pennies.html

wHATcOLOR
02-27-2006, 10:31 PM
I just noticed a couple ago days ago, was Billy trying to make him sound like a creepy stalker at the end of the song. That really made me like the song a little less.

it made me like it more

Mablak
02-27-2006, 10:42 PM
I must add that I deplore musical stories for the most part... that's called country music, and I'm glad the pumpkins have never undertaken a flat-out story as one of their songs. If I want to read a story that gives me insight into real life, it really has to be in a book. Billy's lyrics are extremely understandable in most songs, such as tonight, tonight, dealing with change and the urgency of the moment. Sometimes he's pretty cryptic though, and it's hard to make out a theme, but you can at least understand lines piecemeal and pick up on individual ideas. It's pretty uninspiring to listen to a story, dealing with specifics and not universal, immortal, themes. I'd consider story format in songs one of the lowest forms of song writing because of that, it doesn't seek to explore any real ideas, it's like a story for the sake of a story, just for the sake of putting together words that rhyme.. ;\

wHATcOLOR
02-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I must add that I deplore musical stories for the most part... that's called country music, and I'm glad the pumpkins have never undertaken a flat-out story as one of their songs. If I want to read a story that gives me insight into real life, it really has to be in a book. Billy's lyrics are extremely understandable in most songs, such as tonight, tonight, dealing with change and the urgency of the moment. Sometimes he's pretty cryptic though, and it's hard to make out a theme, but you can at least understand lines piecemeal and pick up on individual ideas. It's pretty uninspiring to listen to a story, dealing with specifics and not universal, immortal, themes. I'd consider story format in songs one of the lowest forms of song writing because of that, it doesn't seek to explore any real ideas, it's like a story for the sake of a story, just for the sake of putting together words that rhyme.. ;\

that's pretty insightful and i think that you've changed the way i view the world.

to summarize, stories in songs = country = automatically not good, because how could a story deal with universal theme, and they don't seek to explore any real ideas. meanwhile vaguely strung together phrases with lots of angst are immortal and inspiring and a higher form of art.

did i get that right?

neopryn
02-27-2006, 10:59 PM
don't forget it's impossible for country to be good

topleybird
02-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Neko Case?

topleybird
02-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Also it's fine to talk about Bugg because he brought it on himself, what with the video and all, I mean, he's in the limelight and he's here to stay, but it's repugnant to me to drag Billy's cat out into the open for public scrutiny, even under the auspices of a seemingly positive "who else loves Billy's cat" thread, 'cause I mean that shit is weird, you've never even met

Mablak
02-27-2006, 11:07 PM
I've never heard a story in a song dealing with any significant universal theme. Length is a crucial factor to me in telling a story, half a page of lyrics telling a story can't express an idea nearly as well as more general writing, and there's a difference between general themes and just vague random crap, which you might find in, I dunno, Beck? Songs can't be hours long, I don't think story-telling can ever function in a song as well as insightful, general music that encompasses much more.

And I'm not talking about everything that is in part a story, but any song that's almost purely telling events... country for the most part.

Aquasol
02-27-2006, 11:26 PM
A great example of a song expressing universal themes and emotion while still containing a story would have to be Nick Cave's "Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum". Anyone who loves the themes of Machina should check it out

hereisnowhy
02-27-2006, 11:45 PM
Lily was the first song that really got me into the pumpkins.

hereisnowhy
02-27-2006, 11:48 PM
that's pretty insightful and i think that you've changed the way i view the world.

to summarize, stories in songs = country = automatically not good, because how could a story deal with universal theme, and they don't seek to explore any real ideas. meanwhile vaguely strung together phrases with lots of angst are immortal and inspiring and a higher form of art.

did i get that right?

I was going to respond to that post but you've done the job well here. That distinction between stories and universal themes is misguided and sad.

I would point out The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete as a song to listen to at this time.

Dark Eternity
02-28-2006, 12:06 AM
I see nothing wrong with having a story being told through a song and there being a universal theme to it. It happens all the time. It may not be be spelled out with the exact description using many different words but it doesn't mean it is not possible. The theme can be in the song as part of the story. The idea may be hard to get or understand at first, but after actually listening to the song one should be able to pick it up. If someone actually needs many pages to express the idea in the story then it might be up to a level of comprehension. A little imagination goes a long way in songs and sometimes things are implied.

But Mablak, thank you for pointing out to us that old school rap and country are the same thing.

Mablak
02-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Actually that is one reason why nothing good comes out of either of those genres. Dusty and Pistol Pete is a pretty gewd song, my singular favorite line is simply 'vengeance and dust'. It's not a story though, unless every song that has elements of a story must be a story :o.

wHATcOLOR
02-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Mablak will you at least consider the idea of getting married to me

Mablak
02-28-2006, 01:14 AM
I've considered it, and frankly, I don't think we have that spark. We can always make believe and cyber furiously online though.

wHATcOLOR
02-28-2006, 01:53 AM
well that's not what i was hoping for, but its better than nothing

Junebug
02-28-2006, 02:57 AM
I haven't read most of this thread. i'm sorry. But I love lily. It makes me happy. And I also love, like bwhh, that it's stalker-ish. when I hear it I always think of that scene in back to the future when marty's dad is watching his mom through the window in the tree with his binoculars. Also a great movie. But lily is a better song. They could have made a neat music video out of it.

Lily was the first song that really got me into the pumpkins.

how did you hear that song? usually it's a single or something, not some random song that most people consider filler.

tcm
02-28-2006, 03:57 AM
hey i think Billy's sense of humor shines through a lot more often than people seem to think. i guess this is a pretty vague and not terribly helpful statement, but i've felt it for a long time and just wanted to get that out there. carry on.

tcm
02-28-2006, 03:58 AM
i haven't seen that many people who use the acronym LMOAO.

ChristHimself!
02-28-2006, 04:31 AM
I used to play Lily semi frequently at an acoustic night, and one of the guys who went there was a pumpkins fan and would sing back up vocals from the crowd <3

But Mablak, thank you for pointing out to us that old school rap and country are the same thing.

Thanks. I was just to ask if Slick Rick - Children's Story was country. It all depends on who writes the song if a song with an easy to follow story is good or not. Leonard Cohen - Famous Blue Raincoat is country and crap because it tells a story? umm.. no!

Shapan
02-28-2006, 05:26 AM
that yoshi avatar makes me really happy.

pale blue eyes
02-28-2006, 05:35 AM
I love Lily. My drummer friend actually taught me how to play it in high school since it was pretty simple, or at least how he showed me it was. Oh and this:

I must add that I deplore musical stories for the most part... that's called country music

....is retarded. Lots of different kinds of music tell a story and I feel sad for you if don't like a song or band because of how you think it might be categorized by someone else.

tcm
02-28-2006, 05:41 AM
it's called folk music!

tcm
02-28-2006, 05:54 AM
folk music sucks!

Mablak
02-28-2006, 06:20 AM
Gross generalizations are sometimes not to be taken seriously. Although you can tell tcm is serious. That's music racism.

tcm
02-28-2006, 06:26 AM
oh christ. i forgot i meant to call you a Nazi before. you beat me to the punch.

Mablak
02-28-2006, 06:32 AM
It's a chinese symbol for peace, you, you.. charlatan.

tcm
02-28-2006, 06:39 AM
you've earned a place in my hall of fame, Mablak.

BumbleBeeMouth
02-28-2006, 12:58 PM
bob dylan tells lots of stories and he did pretty well for himself. lily always makes me smile

hereisnowhy
02-28-2006, 01:05 PM
how did you hear that song? usually it's a single or something, not some random song that most people consider filler.

I listened to all of mellon collie because I was intrigued by BWBW and 1979. But Lily was the first song that blew me away and made me look at the band more closely.

Phoenix Down
02-28-2006, 07:59 PM
i was thinking the other day about how the songwriters i admire more these days seem to write songs that are like short stories, and i was trying to think of examples where bill's songs actually tell a story, and i was disheartened to realize that they are few and far between. lily sort of tells a story, and i like it, and the music is wonderful as well. but it made me realize that so many of bill's songs are just repeating phrases and saying vague things that don't seem to mean very much anymore

i know where you're coming from, but there's definitely a thin line between singing vague lyrics that "don't seem to mean very much" and singing vague lyrics that many people can relate to. i always appreciated SP for exactly this very thing ^^
btw: i really like Lily, my ex-gf used to dance to it in this really cute way...aww, old times

Lord Lemons
02-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Whoa, I just noticed your name. Awesome.

waltermcphilp
02-28-2006, 11:25 PM
i like the song because its just so old fashioned sounding, but its talking about stalking some girl

tcm
02-28-2006, 11:39 PM
yeah that's ironic 'cause stalking is a phenomenon that's only arisen in the last 15 years.

waltermcphilp
02-28-2006, 11:54 PM
yes thats exactly what i meant

tcm
03-01-2006, 12:19 AM
really? voyeurism's been around for, like, ever, though, man.

neopryn
03-01-2006, 12:59 AM
this board is akin to locke's state of nature of right now. pretty hellish. without tcm, it would be hobbes' state of nature.

'nuff said.

tcm
03-01-2006, 01:18 AM
you're sweet.

Corgan Rules
03-03-2006, 03:28 AM
I havent seen that many people who show interest in Lily (moao). PLEZ 'SPLAIN

This was one of the songs on Mellon Collie that I never really liked. I love, By star light, We only come out at night and beautiful though. In my opinion, these other 3 sings blow Lily away. The other song I never got into from that album is Tales of a scortched earth.

siva6760
03-03-2006, 08:02 AM
I just like the way MCIS has those few songs that break the mould of whats expected from your standard rock album. I can't think of a double album, or any album for that matter, that's as well structured as MCIS. Those last songs end the album so well.

douglas78
03-03-2006, 09:26 AM
I was going to respond to that post but you've done the job well here. That distinction between stories and universal themes is misguided and sad.

I would point out The Tale of Dusty and Pistol Pete as a song to listen to at this time.

daphne descends

aztec litany service
03-03-2006, 09:58 AM
This was one of the songs on Mellon Collie that I never really liked. I love, By star light, We only come out at night and beautiful though. In my opinion, these other 3 sings blow Lily away. The other song I never got into from that album is Tales of a scortched earth.
ah, toase rocks
lol toase, toast..scorched..