View Full Version : potentially stupid computer/internet question

Nate the Grate
01-22-2006, 11:35 PM
okay, we don't have wireless at my house, but when I'm in my room my laptop sometimes gets a signal from "linksys". it's usually low or very low, but works for like 20 minutes before disconnecting, then sometimes it comes back. I know linksys is some company or something, and I think I connect to it at school too. so where could it be coming from? my neighbor? I get another signal, but it's password protected. so what is linksys?

bornentertainer
01-22-2006, 11:45 PM
This fucking happens to me all the time, except my house DOES have wireless, and sometimes the server will switch from mine to "linksys", and then I don't have a strong enough signal anymore.

I realize that didn't help you at all...sorry.

patrick
01-22-2006, 11:48 PM
linsys is a company that makes wireless routers

someone near you has a router made by linsys and didn't change its name in the network settings. and they've also foolishly left it open for you to leech from

pink_ribbon_scars
01-22-2006, 11:57 PM
yeah, what patrick said

linksys and default are two names to look for if you're trying to steal some wireless internet

Nate the Grate
01-23-2006, 12:00 AM
alright...I'm not complaining then!

bornentertainer
01-23-2006, 12:01 AM
I am, that shit never has a decent signal for me

Mooney
01-23-2006, 12:04 AM
back in the fall i was leeching off 'lynksis' for the six weeks it took the phone company to come and hook up my dsl. i never got good signal, but when i lost it i could always find it again in the bathroom. :erm.

Lucy Sky Diamonds
01-23-2006, 12:22 AM
There are 2 unsecured wireless networks on this floor of my apartment building, and another one across the street. Woot!