View Full Version : Showtime gets a giant, raging hard on for "Arrested Development"

Ugly
01-21-2006, 03:41 AM
Boya!

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|99635|1|,00.html

<I>Showtime is certainly not playing coy about its desire to pick up "Arrested Development" if FOX cancels the show. But the cable network doesn't seem to be blind in its ardor either.
Speaking to reporters Thursday (Jan. 19) at the Television Critics Association press tour, Showtime Entertainment president Robert Greenblatt acknowledged that his network and 20th Century Fox TV, which produces "Arrested," have been discussing the show. (ABC has reportedly expressed interest as well.)

"I always thought it was probably a better fit on a cable network than on a broadcast network," Greenblatt says. "And you know, in fact, I think it really does fit in with a lot of the things that we're doing."

Still, several things have to fall into place for the Emmy-winning series to make the move to premium cable. FOX, first of all, has to cancel the show -- which it probably will, given network head Peter Ligouri's statement earlier in the week that it's "highly unlikely" the show will return to FOX next season. And Greenblatt says striking the right deal between network and studio "is complicated and takes longer than you'd ever imagine."
More important, though, Greenblatt says Showtime would only want "Arrested Development" if its creator, Mitch Hurwitz, remains involved.

"I think he's the genius behind it, and he hasn't yet come to that decision to continue the show," Greenblatt says of Hurwitz. "He's been through a lot of sort of emotional roller coaster over the last couple years. So he finished the season for FOX, and he's in that period of, you know, thinking about whether he wants to continue the show."

"Arrested's" audience of about 4.2 million viewers per week is pretty small for a broadcast network. But for Showtime, which is in fewer than 20 million homes, even, say, a quarter of that number would be considered a success. The lure of the show could potentially lead to new subscriptions, meaning a bigger possible audience for Showtime's other series.

"[Picking up 'Arrested'] at a point in time where we're having a good deal of success both critically and commercially makes a really big statement for us," Showtime Chairman and CEO Matthew Blank says. There's a lot of things we could be doing right now. But for me, the prospects of having 'Arrested Development' and [recent Golden Globe honoree] 'Weeds' on this network, you know, at the same time are quite remarkable."
</I>

A - here's hoping the network deal / creator Hurwitz pulls through

B - the show is funnier with the bleeps. Keep 'em.

neopryn
01-21-2006, 04:27 AM
One thing to be concerned about: I've heard rumors that Showtime wouldn't be able to afford the entire cast and Will Arnett would be one of the losses. That's completely unacceptable. The only people it can afford to lose are Tambor and maybe de Rossi, and even then it would be drastically different.

neopryn
01-21-2006, 04:28 AM
Also, they will keep the bleeps if it moves to cable, they've said that a couple of times.

And I took off work for Feb. 10th. Television event of the milennium.

Nimrod's Son
01-21-2006, 04:28 AM
it should go on ABC

marketed right this is a bigger money maker than some new crapass show ABC will trot out starring some lame obscure comic

FearFactory
01-21-2006, 04:30 AM
And I took off work for Feb. 10th. Television event of the milennium.

what, is bush gonna get whacked upside the head with a rake?

neopryn
01-21-2006, 04:30 AM
I don't get Showtime so I was hoping for ABC until they cancelled those Heather Graham and John Stamos shows after one episode each, both of which got more viewers than AD.

Although it seems like they'd know what they were getting into.

daydreamer999
01-21-2006, 04:32 AM
you know what makes me laugh?

when people say arrested development "isn't funny"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Nimrod's Son
01-21-2006, 04:33 AM
NBC should add it to their New Thursday

Ugly
01-21-2006, 04:34 AM
Arrent is in a bunch of movies comming up now, but this is first I heard of him ditching if it goes to Showtime.

Without G.O.B, seriously, the show would be 70% less of the show it is.

ABC is a bad call, bad mojo and bad history - see Clerks.

Of course, they did go with "Emily Reasons Why Not?" which looks horrid.

how did that show do in the ratings, anyway? When the hell is it on?

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|99618|1|,00.html

<I>The network has pulled its Monday-night duo of "Emily's Reasons Why Not" and "Jake in Progress," <B><U>each of which has aired a total of one time this season</B></U>, until further notice.</I>

BWAH-AHA-HA-HA-HA!!

Christ, how hard did they pimp those shows durring Monday Night Football, anyway?

But, seriously, ABC is a bad idea. See Every Different Comedy on ABC Ever. (how "Lost" ever managed to survive and become a powerhouse on that network I have NO idea)

neopryn
01-21-2006, 04:42 AM
what, is bush gonna get whacked upside the head with a rake?last 4 episodes of AD!

Analrapist
01-21-2006, 05:18 AM
The only people it can afford to lose are Tambor and maybe de Rossi, and even then it would be drastically different.

No way, the only cast change I think I could accept is Alia Shawkat. And of course Ann.

agenda suicide
01-21-2006, 09:23 AM
ohh shit! I'd just been talking about how I hope some other network decides to pick up the show.

tcm
01-21-2006, 09:28 AM
But, seriously, ABC is a bad idea. See Every Different Comedy on ABC Ever.
Desperate Housewives? ABC should take Arrested Development and make it an hour-long show!

wally
01-21-2006, 10:02 AM
Desperate Housewives is barely a comedy

tcm
01-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Jake In Progress is barely a comedy. LOL!

pale blue eyes
01-21-2006, 10:23 AM
I do really hope everybody sticks around if it comes back, including Mitch. It's not that everybody is as involved in the plot as say Michael or GOB but there are so many little ongoing subplots I love that I'd hate to see dropped.

Fattening Ass
01-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Each character brings its own part to the show. It would be a shame to see one of them leave. Boo to you neosporin for wishing Tambor leave. I Seriously hope AD goes to cable, because i couldn't watch it then, but at least i know it will survive enough for me to buy the season box sets.

neopryn
01-21-2006, 03:52 PM
i didn't say i wished he would leave, just that his departure would have the least impact on the show. he wasn't supposed to be a regular character from the outset, and you can kinda tell in seasons 1 + 2 with all the unneccessary trips to prison/the attic. although it's obviously different now since he's back in the penthouse.

daydreamer999
01-22-2006, 02:44 AM
i made friends with someone at work today who's favourite show is arrested development. he's a cool dude, he likes iron maiden.

topleybird
01-22-2006, 06:02 PM
np: Teenage Dirtbag