View Full Version : The Smashing Pumpkins live in France, England (and rest of Europe?) 2006

eyesbomb
01-02-2006, 06:45 PM
just heard on french national radio that there will be a Curiosa Festival (the Cure-curated one) in england and france (rest of europe?!??) abd that The Smashing Pumpkins will be part of it

Dead
01-02-2006, 06:47 PM
That's cool.

Cherub Angel
01-02-2006, 06:48 PM
I missed Curiosa first time around, hope it comes back to the states. And seems appropriate to have SP on there. Hope it's true.

eyesbomb
01-02-2006, 06:48 PM
fuck, I believe I agree with you!

you've heard it here first.
I just wish there were dates

Rockin' Cherub
01-02-2006, 06:58 PM
that's horrible news, but news, eyesbomb!

Cherub Angel
01-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Rockin' Cherub
that's horrible news, but news, eyesbomb!

it's not horrible....how is it horrible?

Netphorian Gadabout
01-02-2006, 07:00 PM
I don't believe it.

heart of palm
01-02-2006, 07:02 PM
i still trying to analyse eyesbomb's motivation for posting genuine news like this.

im 50 50 on it.

Rockin' Cherub
01-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Cherub Angel

it's not horrible....how is it horrible?
i try to look at the smashing pumpkins reunion as a joke but i can't stop being really really terrified.

Cherub Angel
01-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by heart of palm
i still trying to analyse eyesbomb's motivation for posting genuine news like this.

im 50 50 on it.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I hope it's true because I think they would be a good fit for Curiosa.

siva6760
01-02-2006, 07:03 PM
I can't find anything about this anywhere, are you sure it wasn't just a mention of Auf der Maur? The Cure and SP on the same night might just be too much for me to cope with!

Netphorian Gadabout
01-02-2006, 07:04 PM

im 50 50 on it. 1. It's Eyesbomb. He's one of the worst posters in this place's history.
2. He "just" heard it. It's like 1 or 2AM in Rome. Something tells me this announcement doesn't get made in the middle of the night.
3. Something tells me if you go look at Cure sites, there's no one else you heard this.

Cherub Angel
01-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Rockin' Cherub

i try to look at the smashing pumpkins reunion as a joke but i can't stop being really really terrified.

it's a rock band......I think 'terrified' is overdoing it.

Rockin' Cherub
01-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Cherub Angel

it's a rock band......I think 'terrified' is overdoing it.
it's my favourite rock band. evar.

eyesbomb
01-02-2006, 07:08 PM
we'll see if this indeed turns up to be true, don't be too surprised if it does, really.

siva6760
01-02-2006, 07:28 PM
If this is true, you could surely let us know which station you heard it on, and then perhaps we could look up their news webpage.

benjamin619
01-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by siva6760
If this is true, you could surely let us know which station you heard it on, and then perhaps we could look up their news webpage.

don't worry. it's surely bullshit.

Injektilo
01-02-2006, 07:31 PM
yeah, is there any other confirmation fo this? Like a post on a Cure messageboard or anything?

It sounds promising, as it it doesn't seem like it'd be the sort of rumour that a radio station would just make up (why go with SP if you're pulling names out of your ass? Go with a band that people still have some memory of), but we need another source...

Netphorian Gadabout
01-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Injektilo
It sounds promising, as it it doesn't seem like it'd be the sort of rumour that a radio station would just make up (why go with SP if you're pulling names out of your ass? Go with a band that people still have some memory of), but we need another source... I'm not saying the station made it up, I'm saying Eyesbomb has been lurking the last few days and is making up shit because he's eyesbomb.

siva6760
01-02-2006, 07:37 PM
This was stickied pretty fast, does the moderator know something we don't?

schaadow
01-02-2006, 07:40 PM
This was stickied pretty fast, does the moderator know something we don't?
probably not, because it hasn't been stickied.

siva6760
01-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by schaadow

probably not, because it hasn't been stickied.

Oh yeah, shit!

eyesbomb
01-02-2006, 08:01 PM

Radio France Inter

and you're all a bunch of pathetic, scary nerd kids for freaking out and screaming all around "made up bullshit, made up bullshit"

just relax, really, relax

heart of palm
01-02-2006, 08:01 PM
<a href="http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Cure;action=display;num=1136131848; start=20">link</a>

my five minutes of research. look about a third of the way down. someone else heard it france.

i fucking hate when eyesbomb is right.

benjamin619
01-02-2006, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by eyesbomb

and you're all a bunch of pathetic, scary nerd kids for freaking out and screaming all around "made up bullshit, made up bullshit"

just relax, really, relax

no one is freaking out, well some people are. but truly, 99% of the time, any SP news around here is bullshit. I make up SP-related bullshit all the time, I know. It's nothing personal.

By the way guys, Jimmy Chamberlain is hammering out some rough takes for the next Complex album right now. He's working in L.A.

eyesbomb
01-02-2006, 08:30 PM
uh-oh, looks like I was right.

where are the fuckers that were flaming when you need them (to apologize) ?

TheDeuce
01-02-2006, 08:37 PM
<a href="http://www.musicfanclubs.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Cure;action=display;num=1136131848; start=20">link</a>

my five minutes of research. look about a third of the way down. someone else heard it france.

i fucking hate when eyesbomb is right.

Two people on there say they've heard it now. What is this Curiosa? A festival or something? Anybody have any dates?

Corganist
01-02-2006, 08:56 PM
If this is true, then we can probably assume that at least a couple US dates will occur first. Surely the band wouldn't re-unite at a festival show. I imagine we'll know more soon enough, but assuming this isn't BS, it seems like things will start happening with this reunion pretty soon (like in the next month or two).

Iamone6942
01-02-2006, 09:00 PM
the smashing pumpkins and the cure at the same venue?! orgasms!

wHATcOLOR
01-02-2006, 09:13 PM
fuck you bill !!!!!!!!!

wHATcOLOR
01-02-2006, 09:13 PM
wait, im sorry, i take it back :(

sledge
01-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Sweet! Eyesbomb pulls through.

Injektilo
01-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Pumpkins23836
I'm not saying the station made it up, I'm saying Eyesbomb has been lurking the last few days and is making up shit because he's eyesbomb.

I was going on the assumption that eyesbomb was being honest (which it looks like he is/was) and was wondering if the radio station had and basis to its report.

Now of course we'll hear it from other outlets, but if they're basing their info on that radio report, it doesn't mean that we have a secondary source of information.

joshm
01-02-2006, 11:54 PM
the smashing pumpkins and the cure at the same venue?! orgasms!

That's exactly what I was thinking!

ProgressChrome
01-03-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Pumpkins23836
I'm not saying the station made it up, I'm saying Eyesbomb has been lurking the last few days and is making up shit because he's eyesbomb.

he is eyesbomb.... but he did make the longest thread ever... so "like whoa"

Travis_Wright
01-03-2006, 12:47 AM
i've been monitoring a couple of french message boards as well as cure message boards and it seems that it was announced on french radio that sp will be touring with the cure in june and july, but the translations could have been "a member of the smashing pumpkins will be touring with the cure" it's still fuzzy as what was actually said.

the dj stated this after disarm played... not that it makes it any more special i just thought everyone would want to know the last freaking fact down to what color socks the dj had on.

gray

Mariner
01-03-2006, 01:11 AM
so the surprise is that bill and rob will be performing "to love somebody" together during curiosa.

No. 13 Baby
01-03-2006, 01:20 AM
that's what i was thinking.

MonteLDS
01-03-2006, 01:44 AM
the surprise is also going be that SP is going start as an accoustic set with just jimmy and billy.

something like what happen during the machina days after d'arcy left, where it was the birdge school benfit shows

siva6760
01-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by eyesbomb
uh-oh, looks like I was right.

where are the fuckers that were flaming when you need them (to apologize) ?

Sorry eyesbomb, it's just that the prospect of seeing SP and The Cure playing at the same show is getting me rather excited and i'm scared of more dissapointment.

We can't be blamed for being suspicious.

ChristHimself!
01-03-2006, 05:01 AM
anyone who doesn't trust someone as beautiful as eyesbomb is obviously insane.

swans.

Kahlo
01-03-2006, 07:38 AM
hope ye had a good hogmanay! I hope the Cure SP thing is true... i would die of happyness
:)

The Gaddrow
01-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by benjamin619
By the way guys, Jimmy Chamberlain is hammering out some rough takes for the next Complex album right now. Who?

ChristHimself!
01-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by The Gaddrow
Who?

The drummer out Smashing Pumpkains

frogfusious
01-03-2006, 08:43 AM
damn! if only I lived in Europe :(

Phoenix Down
01-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by frogfusious
damn! if only I lived in Europe :(

:banoonoo: :banoonoo: :banoonoo: :banoonoo: :banoonoo:

Villarelo
01-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Phoenix Down

:banoonoo: :banoonoo: :banoonoo: :banoonoo: :banoonoo:

:( :( :( :( :(

Mariner
01-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by ChristHimself!

The drummer out Smashing Pumpkains

gotcha

Spaldz
01-03-2006, 01:23 PM
I would of thought you would of heard some american shows before Billy hops over to Europe to do a big festival

hrm.

And why does the title say England? when they were only talking about France. Billy doesn't even like England much. They didn't even play an encore at the Birmingham 2000 gig the chodes.

Cool As Ice Cream
01-03-2006, 01:32 PM
I heard a recording of the radio show and they say they just got an email stating that the Cure and the Smashing Pumpkins will tour together this summer at the Curiosa festival in England and in France.

"An email" is the only source stated.

"Est-ce que tu en sais plus? Pas du tout." (Do you know more about this? Not at all.)

keito
01-03-2006, 02:30 PM
It would be great :D

but if it's just 2 countries then probably getting the tickets will be a very hard thing to do...

Cool As Ice Cream
01-03-2006, 02:32 PM
I think the guy on the French radio (Lenoir?) was just making stuff up.

BeautifulLoser
01-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Interesting...

Cool As Ice Cream
01-03-2006, 02:49 PM
i found the audio sample here: http://www.blamonet.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1894404#post1894404

Injektilo
01-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by CoolAsIceCream

"An email" is the only source stated.

Oh well that's a reliable source. Does this station say anything anyone will email them?

Quiet CD
01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
maybe the pumpkins will headline coachella, depeche mode is already confirmed to be headlining one day.

wHATcOLOR
01-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Quiet CD
maybe the pumpkins will headline coachella, depeche mode is already confirmed to be headlining one day.

maybe they won't

Cool As Ice Cream
01-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by CoolAsIceCream
I think the guy on the French radio (Lenoir?) was just making stuff up.
quote from the french blamonet thread:
Originally posted by walleum
Lenoir vient de dire que c'était de l'intox. Ah bravo Bernard. if i understand this correctly, the french radio guy admitted he said this because he was drunk.

so ta ta! :p

Dead
01-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Case closed.

Spaldz
01-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Damn french and their vin

Toby
01-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Dead
Thread closed.

schwarzy
01-03-2006, 11:39 PM
I'm sorry to arrive a little late. I wish i could have said how much french radio and newspapers are shitty (and i know this stuff well because i live here and i work for most of them).
Even if this station is one of the most reliable, speakers always say stuff like that. Most of the time i have news way before them.
So : never trust a french !

GeoX
01-03-2006, 11:47 PM
fucking french people.

frogfusious
01-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by GeoX
fucking french people.
best first post of 2006

pale blue eyes
01-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Remember that fake Coachella line-up posted here and on other boards last year before it was officially announced? And it was way too good to be true but people spread the rumor like it was the real thing anyway? There you go. Nothing against eyesbomb, I'm just not buying it at all until some kind of official statement is made.

tcm
01-04-2006, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by schwarzy
So : never trust a french !
no problem.

Sonic Johnny
01-04-2006, 11:28 AM
if this was anybody but Eyesbomb, i'd call bullshit. i'm still gonna call bullshit.

keito
01-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Case closed

not necessarily

We all know that Billy likes secrets, surprises and so on...
maybe someone from Cure crew leaked sth... and when BOlly read it on netphoria they needed to cover up this news...

remember the TFE on the radio. No radiostation could play the songs until it got released. They don't want any leaks...

[probably coz BOlly likes to surprise us by himself :D ]

Cool As Ice Cream
01-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by keito

remember the TFE on the radio. No radiostation could play the songs until it got released. They don't want any leaks... that's not correct. walking shade came out before the album did and a100 got played on the radio even earlier.

keito
01-04-2006, 01:34 PM
A100 was a controlled leak and walking shade was a single.

Cool As Ice Cream
01-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by keito
A100 was a controlled leak and walking shade was a single. i heard radio stations play songs of tfe two weeks before release.

i must admit, this was also controlled, it was during promotional interviews and such. but isn't that just normal?

and isn't a controlled leak like a100 rather abnormal? usually you only can hear the first single. a100 never was a single.

ms. X
01-04-2006, 02:57 PM
I am new here, but I've been a SP fan for a decade. Hmmm, this is a taff call. . .Yes, there are lots of rumour about SP reunion; fans are just awaiting for that for long time.
About the curiosa tour, I think it could have been a leak, we cannot say it's totally true or otherwise. Also, you can't find those kind of news at the cure, just a fan posted about the french radio station, but Cure fans always get the news from other fansites, and Robert drops a line rarely. So if curiosa is true, I just can say, may the reunion being confirmed, but I don't know what is holding back Corgan's announcement. Maybe he wants to save the surprise and just appear with the band on stage, kind of KISS reunion or something like that. Or it may not happen either. We have two extremes here. Also we have to have in mind, the relations among billy and the rest of the band members except for Jimmy, who talks to Billy in a regular basis. I hope D'arcy and James are in the boat too. That would be the dream Smashing Pumpkins' line-up

Endless Whining
01-04-2006, 02:59 PM
controlled leaks are rather common these days.
Juicebox by The Strokes and some of the other tracks were presumably leaked by control and it did stir up the interest in the band anew.
with the Pumpkins it was The Everlasting Gaze which was promo-ed out to radiostations, more or less as a controlled preview/leak, but the song never made it to an official single stage, although there was a video made for the song it was not a commercially available single...
sometimes radio and other press outlets get a teaser disc which is or is not radio restricted for a certain date. sometimes these discs leak, but more often i suspect marketing plans behind the leakage of new albums or songs thereof. then you scream bloody murder and you'll be sure to get a lot of attention, hence, since the singlesmarket (apart from the collectors and UK 7"-s) has fallen to an absolute lowpoint in decades, controlled leaks will work the same as a former lead-off single: the hype, the attention and all the press drama is there, even without an actual release. (press) promotion for records is a rapid changing world, not only does the press recieve less and less 'finished product' promo's. also a lot of these are watermarked, whilst on the web some cleverly chosen songs will miraculously 'leak', yeah right...

ms. X
01-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Hello everyone...I am new here, but I've been a SP fan for long time.
Hmmm, this is a taff call. . .Yes, there are lots of rumour about SP reunion; fans are just awaiting for that for long time.
About the curiosa tour, I think it could have been a leak, we cannot say it's totally true or otherwise. Also, you can't find those kind of news at the cure, just a fan posted about the french radio station, but Cure fans always get the news from other fansites, and Robert drops a line rarely. So if curiosa is true, I just can say, may the reunion being confirmed, but I don't know what is holding back Corgan's announcement . Maybe he wants to save the surprise and just appear with the band on stage, kind of KISS reunion or something like that. Or it may not happen either. We have two extremes here. Also we have to have in mind, the relations among billy and the rest of the band members except for Jimmy, who talks to Billy in a regular basis. I hope D'arcy and James are in the boat too. That would be the dream Smashing Pumpkins' line-up:confused:

laradelocke
01-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Personally I wanna add i think it'd be bollox if they were on the curiosa tour. I seen the cure here last year, was great except they were part of a festival and i wished it was just them somewhere else...with just cure fans.. sounds a bit sick but MEH

If sps were part of a fucking line up like the pixies did it'd piss me off to no end. Plus i'd be so paranoid about getting tickets ( id HAVE TO GO ANYWAY! ..) i'd think of nothing else til i got them. my life would suffer. tis how sad i am.

/end rant

Ramdust
01-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by pale blue eyes

http://guffman.warnerbros.com/shots/corky.jpg

"You're bastard-people! That's what you are! You're just bastard people and I'm goin' home and I'm gonna I'm gonna bite my pillow!"

Nothing/everything
01-04-2006, 03:59 PM
the only way i can approve of an SP comeback is a comeback supported by a good album. Anything else will be pathetic and i won't be wasting any of my hard earned euros to watch b0lly and jimmy play disarm in front of 15000 screaming fucktards.

pale blue eyes
01-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Ramdust

http://guffman.warnerbros.com/shots/corky.jpg

"You're bastard-people! That's what you are! You're just bastard people and I'm goin' home and I'm gonna I'm gonna bite my pillow!"

<3

I love that scene but I think my favorite hissy fit of his is when Johnny calls him to drop out of the show:

"Well, then, I just HATE you... and I hate your... ass... FACE!"

Kahlo
01-04-2006, 04:17 PM
The Everlasting Gaze which was promo-ed out to radiostations, more or less as a controlled preview/leak, but the song never made it to an official single stage, although there was a video made for the song i

there was a video?? wha???

Ramdust
01-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Kahlo

there was a video?? wha???

:erm

It was definitely the greenest of all their videos.

Kahlo
01-04-2006, 05:20 PM
what the hell am i on about.. of course i know the video, lots of smashing.. i even own the GH... im such a retard :(

Cool As Ice Cream
01-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Kahlo
im such a retard :(

laradelocke
01-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Nothing/everything
the only way i can approve of an SP comeback is a comeback supported by a good album. Anything else will be pathetic and i won't be wasting any of my hard earned euros to watch b0lly and jimmy play disarm in front of 15000 screaming fucktards.

You said it better =D

ms. X
01-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I agree. The only big "surprise" that would be in the range of surprise, it would be a darn SP reunion, with the originals Pumpkins. I've read on Internet (and it just confirmed what I thought about Billy ad in the Chicago Tribune) that he did this big public confession so the other Pumpkins (so read James, D'arcy and Jimmy) could come along and reunite as prodigal children return to the nest. Well, it was pretty obvious...As we know only Jimmy has expressed his willigness to come back and we don't hear anything about the rest...(well, auf der maur too, but...)
Now i've also read here that someone of cure's crew could have possibly leaked this curiosa thing in France and maybe not even the cure are sure of that (that happened with Live 8 line-up they ended playing in France not in UK as it was in live 8 website. It could be true or not, but I think Billy is really aware about all this and perhaps, there is no reunion :( or everything fell. -I am just talking hypotetically, hope this is not the case! Why he didn't go to wgn...due to illness?...but they don't specify who was with the illness, some say the other guy, etc, etc.

...and I thought that Hitchcock was the master of suspense...

lunchmoney
01-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by ms. X
I agree. The only big "surprise" that would be in the range of surprise, it would be a darn SP reunion, with the originals Pumpkins. I've read on Internet (and it just confirmed what I thought about Billy ad in the Chicago Tribune) that he did this big public confession so the other Pumpkins (so read James, D'arcy and Jimmy) could come along and reunite as prodigal children return to the nest. Well, it was pretty obvious...As we know only Jimmy has expressed his willigness to come back and we don't hear anything about the rest...(well, auf der maur too, but...)
Now i've also read here that someone of cure's crew could have possibly leaked this curiosa thing in France and maybe not even the cure are sure of that (that happened with Live 8 line-up they ended playing in France not in UK as it was in live 8 website. It could be true or not, but I think Billy is really aware about all this and perhaps, there is no reunion :( or everything fell. -I am just talking hypotetically, hope this is not the case! Why he didn't go to wgn...due to illness?...but they don't specify who was with the illness, some say the other guy, etc, etc.

...and I thought that Hitchcock was the master of suspense...

hey guess what!

avsfan7733
01-05-2006, 07:45 PM
hell, if the stone temple pilots are gonna reunite for some lame VH1 special, why in the hell can't SP reunite for some lackluster greatest hits tour?

chackaman
01-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by avsfan7733
hell, if the stone temple pilots are gonna reunite for some lame VH1 special, why in the hell can't SP reunite for some lackluster greatest hits tour?

Cause they're not gonna, dumass. Jimmy said they weren't in it for the money, they never were you dickhead. So shut the fuck up!

commander
01-05-2006, 08:16 PM

This STP thing looks like a hoax anyway...

http://boards.atlanticrecords.com/artists/stonetemplepilots/forums/a/tpc/f/330103873/m/9851001223

psyren
01-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Nothing/everything

Is anyone else hoping that the last few months have been spent writing/recording an awesome little EP or something? To be followed by a tour...it'd be great. I'd love a new album but something small with a small tour would be awesome too. Then onto a new album when the momentum is there.

gisher
01-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by psyren

Is anyone else hoping that the last few months have been spent writing/recording an awesome little EP or something? To be followed by a tour...it'd be great. I'd love a new album but something small with a small tour would be awesome too. Then onto a new album when the momentum is there.

That would be very cool. And I'd like to see some old-school James Iha cover art on that EP too....like with Lull. :cool:

Okay, enough fantasizing.

psyren
01-05-2006, 08:53 PM
More dreaming...

What if the pumpkins became a non-record label band, releasing albums for free on the internet (or for very little money) as a kind of step away from major labels and the music industry. Making money from tours only. Not that they really need any more money. It would be great if no money men got their hands on a smashing pumpkins comeback. But of course, it wouldn't work at all would it?

No. Shame though.

Phoenix Down
01-05-2006, 10:42 PM
why should billy refuse to make money off his job?

psyren
01-05-2006, 11:27 PM
of course he should make money, I wasn't saying that he shouldn't. Just that giving Machina II away free was quite a first, and quite statement. I was just saying that if they continued this it would be interesting as it would be fairly unique, it would allow them 100% artistic control and it would be an interesting leap into what I think will happen anyway with the music industry in the years to come....bands recording their albums themselves and releasing them on the net for a reasonable price and not giving most of the cash to the label. Of course billy should make money though, was just reflecting on release of Machina II though I know that was for different reasons and will be a one off.

pumpkinxyu
01-06-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by psyren
of course he should make money, I wasn't saying that he shouldn't. Just that giving Machina II away free was quite a first, and quite statement. I was just saying that if they continued this it would be interesting as it would be fairly unique, it would allow them 100% artistic control and it would be an interesting leap into what I think will happen anyway with the music industry in the years to come....bands recording their albums themselves and releasing them on the net for a reasonable price and not giving most of the cash to the label. Of course billy should make money though, was just reflecting on release of Machina II though I know that was for different reasons and will be a one off.

there's a lot of interesting things to consider here. the legal situation regarding Machina II remains a mystery to me, as there can be almost no doubt that Virgin fronted a good bit of the bill for those sessions (since most of those songs were tracked during MACHINA sessions). whether the label was somehow reimbursed to avoid a lawsuit or simply gave in to billy's desire to release it for free (since they had refused to release it, more or less), it was an inspiring move that was unfortunately overshadowed by the fact that the press has a very hard time saying nice things about billy corgan. despite his pioneer work in the world of charity tours, free concerts, free albums, and incredible music, most "journalists" don't seem to put in the time to recognize this aspect of billy's career. it's always easier to focus on the negative. sorry for getting off topic...back to it.

while it would be nice for the consumer if albums were free, and while a self-release system would grant total artistic control, what exactly would the artist be controlling? while pro tools in the bedroom of any singer/songwriter has changed the face of making records, the results from a professional studio and a professional engineer still tend to set a standard that in-home pro tools setups can't match (in rock, at least). and though albums can be released for free online, non-established artists need promotion (and distribution if not online) that may be hard to come by without some form of record deal. non-established artists don't make money on tour, so if that is the only form of promotion, the band members are essentially paying to put out records and do their jobs. a lot of record deals work out this way as it is, but at least the record company is footing the studio bill and the artist may have stashed away an advance from the record company if the album doesn't go double platinum.

the internet and things like myspace (which makes me nauseous...still formulating an all-inclusive theory as to why myspace is a dangerous institution) are allowing a wider form of self-promotion. the record companies are fully aware of this and as myspace becomes increasingly bigger for music promotion, it will be interesting to see if it gets essentially neutered like napster or if it will actually become a viable force.

the state of "artistic freedom" in record making is rather sad. established artists, such as billy corgan, may get their own way even on a major label release. i don't think billy changed his opinion based on the "keep up the good work" for SD or "this is career suicide, but ok" for MCIS or "um..." for Adore. he made his records because he had some clout and a fan base. but look at the kind of promotion TFE got. record companies are companies and the bottom line is the bottom line. no major label is concerned with art. maybe people within the label are concerned, but shareholders aren't concerned. the dangers of corporate living and its impact on the arts...a long post. so if there's no money in touring and record labels are abandoned, maybe the artist could sell a song for a commercial or tv show. this means a shitload of money, instantly, paid up front and more over time. but at what cost to the artist. everyone has his or her own opinion on whether or not selling a song for a commercial goes against the notion of artistic integrity. i personally feel that it does, and i hope billy doesn't sell any pumpkins songs. but i also think the artist should get paid, and if record companies won't do it, and another company will...fuck. the difference is this. a band is not endorsing or promoting a record company. they're facilitiating the services of a record company. this calls into question the notion of responsible endorsement, and with no morality in the corporate world (again, individuals may have morals, but a corporation doesn't), this poses a lot of potential issues. very political, and very sad.

best strategies for band's in the past 15 years:
1) Pumpkins (until things started to shift around Adore, but the Caroline to Virgin jump worked perfectly...by then it was a different game).

2) Interpol (yet to make any questionable moves in terms of their integrity, but they've done nothing but rise in popularity to the point that an indie band that makes great records can be on the cover of spin)

3) Dave Matthews Bands (took the idea of selling merchandise to the next level...brilliant because it's given incredible financial stability on top of their tour profits, allowing complete artistic freedom)

so...long story short, very miserable state of the music business, for artists and industry people alike. that said, i'm all about the Pumpkins playing Curiosa and i don't care how the band gets its music out...it's gonna be incredible.

frenchy
01-06-2006, 05:01 AM
For all local French news about the SP, check it out here :
http://www.blamonet.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=7

We already denied the information when this thread was opened.

Happy new year to you all (even the French-haters).

tcm
01-06-2006, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by frenchy
Happy new year to you all (even the French-haters).
bonne année, motherfucker!

laradelocke
01-06-2006, 08:09 AM
..jesus some people here need to remove the squirrels from their asses methinks:erm

tcm
01-06-2006, 08:37 AM
poor kitty.

sweetsupervixen
01-08-2006, 12:45 AM
I am suprised that they'd pick France & England over the US. I also wonder if they will have D'arcy or Melissa. I would personally like to see D'arcy. I do hope that they add some US dates.

frenchy
01-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by sweetsupervixen
I am suprised that they'd pick France & England over the US. I also wonder if they will have D'arcy or Melissa. I would personally like to see D'arcy. I do hope that they add some US dates.

It's fake, forget the whole thing.

sweetsupervixen
01-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Great! Then, on the French radio, what were they saying?

SpeedOfPain
01-08-2006, 12:06 PM
Why would you want Darcy on bass she is a horrible bass player Id rather have melissa at least she can play and keep up with Jimmys drum playing! Not to mention more alive on stage then a junkie with big lips

sweetsupervixen
01-08-2006, 12:40 PM
For some odd reason, I like D'arcy more than I do Melissa. I do like Melissa, she's very good. I've never seen the Pumpkins live, so I can't say she's that bad. It's just I like D'arcy more.

SpeedOfPain
01-08-2006, 12:58 PM
IF you never saw the pumpkins live with Darcy or Melissa how can you say who you would like to see on stage playing!

sweetsupervixen
01-08-2006, 01:38 PM
I guess you're right on that. I the Pumpkins live in Paris 2000, and obviously, Melissa was playing. I really can't say that Melissa played better, or D'arcy played better. I am saying, I like D'arcy more. Why? I don't know. Maybe because D'arcy was the original Pumpkins and Melissa was not. I give Melissa a lot of credit becuase once D'arcy left, Melissa stepped right in. Also, I believe that Melissa did most of the bass on Machina II. And I enjoy Machina II. I have absolutly nothing aganist Melissa, it's just I prefer D'arcy.

Cool As Ice Cream
01-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Great! Then, on the French radio, what were they saying? i posted a link.

frenchy
01-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Also, I believe that Melissa did most of the bass on Machina II.

MachinaII comes from the recording sessions of MachinaI.

Corganist
01-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by frenchy

MachinaII comes from the recording sessions of MachinaI.
Not totally. As I recall, the band was in the studio in July of 2000 working on material that presumably ended up being Machina II. I imagine a lot of the stuff for Machina II was culled from the Machina I sessions, but not all of it.

Either way, Melissa didn't play bass on Machina II. Any bass that was recorded on Machina II was played by either Billy or James.

tcm
01-09-2006, 01:41 AM
what Corganist said. the only released song that Melissa appears on is Rock On, as it was recorded during a soundcheck on tour.

ms. X
01-09-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Corganist

Not totally. As I recall, the band was in the studio in July of 2000 working on material that presumably ended up being Machina II. I imagine a lot of the stuff for Machina II was culled from the Machina I sessions, but not all of it.

Either way, Melissa didn't play bass on Machina II. Any bass that was recorded on Machina II was played by either Billy or James.

I also agree with Corganist too. Melissa just was came too late to do any great contribution, but the Metro show... I think that it's why many people like D'Arcy regardless of her bass playing...Sincerely, I like her too and I think Billy would love to have D'Arcy back...against the odds.:)