View Full Version : so let's discuss bowling for columbine i guess

Samsa
01-10-2003, 01:56 AM
i'm not sure it's worth discussing. i mean i highly enjoyed it...i don't know if enjoyed is the word. part of it it's the word, part of it i found emotionally affecting. anyways. i wouldn't trust it farther than i can throw it. i mean it was just well-shot and amusing but nothing more than that right?

Andy /
01-10-2003, 07:49 PM
This thread has a thread id equivalent to 11000:

http://www.netphoria.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11000

Samsa
01-10-2003, 11:24 PM
um. ooooooooooook.

so i guess no one wants to talk about it? :(

umm. these old people sat next to me :-/ like 10 of them. well not all of them were next to me just one of course. why didn't they have the courtesy to leave one extra seat :mad: maybe there wasn't one extra. maybe they weren't that old i forget. i think they were. at the point hwere he was asking terry nichols' brother some question about the o c bombing, the woman next to me starting going "oooooh, his eyes are soooo creepy" and i didn't get to hear! :dammit: yeah that got me mad but oh well. what does mr costanza say? serenity now?

meow
01-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Samsa
what does mr costanza say? serenity now?

LMFAO <3 <3

I loved the movie... although i think Michael Moore is awesome so i guess im biased.

Samsa
01-10-2003, 11:47 PM
one thing he DID make me think about was his thing on hte "culture of fear". uhh that funny little short cartoon with the pilgrims and how scared they are all the time etc, like. yeah. and the evening news reporting on shit, how the murder rate has been on a constand decrease but the reporting of violent crimes is what, going up at uhh. my vocabulary isn't very good tonight. but that was interesting and it is something you always fucking notice. even.

this horrible story i read in the washington post metro section, about some kid who poisoned some other kid's vanilla coke with potassium cyanide he ordered off the internet, the kid ended up dying etc. it's really fucking weird but. what can you do? i found some article about how "this stuff is so easy to get", and, i mean bad things happen you know? :dammit: like you can kill someone with a potted plant if you really want to and what can you do about it? yet every time something *bad* happens people start freaking out about "oh no, bla bla bla" or whatever, well bad things happen and maybe the good thing to do is to just stop worrying.

kind of hypocritical of me :noway: i also realized from that documentary that i am a product of american society or some shit. i am the number one consumer of fear i think :noway: sort of like donnie darko. i identified with patrick swayze's character sooort of, because fear is really bad :( i've had this horrible feeling of impending doom lately, i don't even know why! but every time i feel like happy or content i suddenly get really scared that something horrible is going to happen. maybe it's north korea who knows. *shudder*

yeah here, this is an older article though cuz as i said the boy has since died anyways

Toxin that poisoned boy is easily available

BALTIMORE (AP) – Potassium cyanide, the substance police say an Ellicott City, Md., teenager used to poison a friend, is widely available for purchase by anyone in small amounts, said the company that sold it to the teen.
A spokesman for Louisville-based chemical supplier Antec Inc., said potassium cyanide is commonly used to plate metal and is sold to hobbyists and students.
"We sold it to him — it's legal to sell," said the spokesman who declined to give his name but described himself as a partner and a chemist at the company. "It's everywhere. It's in every high school and college laboratory in the country."
Ryan Thomas Furlough, 18, of Ellicott City was charged Sunday with attempted murder, assault and poisoning. Police said he spiked his friend's vanilla Coke with potassium cyanide he bought with his mother's credit card over the Internet. The charges could carry a life sentence.
Benjamin Vassiliev, 17, was in critical condition Monday at Johns Hopkins Children's Center. His family requested that the hospital release no additional information about his condition or his prospects for recovery, hospital spokeswoman Staci Vernick said.
Michael Veltri, clinical pharmacist for Johns Hopkins Children's Center, said the chemical is "a very lethal toxin, without a doubt," adding that survival will depend on how much was ingested.
A lethal dose of cyanide would be 200 milligrams to 300 milligrams, he said. It's not clear how much Benjamin ingested.
Mr. Furlough purchased about 5 grams of potassium cyanide, along with a small amount of copper nitrate in late November, the company spokesman said. Mr. Furlough told the company he planned to do metal plating, a common use for potassium cyanide and copper nitrate.
Potassium cyanide has the consistency of sugar and smells faintly of bitter almonds; it's also soluble in water and alcohol, the company said.
On Friday evening, when the two teens were playing video games in the basement of Mr. Furlough's family home, police said Mr. Furlough laced his friend's drink with the cyanide in an attempt to kill him.
Mr. Furlough told police he intended to kill his friend with the cyanide, and that he had been thinking about it since October, according to charging documents.
After going into respiratory arrest, Benjamin was taken to Howard County General Hospital, then transported to Johns Hopkins, where a pediatric intensive-care physician reported his cyanide level was two to three times higher than normal, the charging documents said.
Howard County Police spokeswoman Sherry Llewellyn said police do not yet have a motive. But in charging documents, police reported finding a letter at Benjamin's residence indicating Mr. Furlough's love for Benjamin's girlfriend.
"There isn't a day that passes by where I don't think about her " Mr. Furlough wrote to Benjamin in a letter dated June 19, 2002, according to the charging documents. "I want to tell you this as I did with her, I will never give up until I have the key to her heart."

SuckSuckStyle
01-11-2003, 12:05 AM
I really liked it. It should be shown in school.

Red Wine Cage
01-11-2003, 12:25 AM
i tried to download it, but some fucker labeled Signs as BFC.

GEI.

Reine Noir
01-11-2003, 01:33 AM
it was amusing, but it didn't leave me with anything new to consider. i've always liked his work. i think it was just more amusing to me because i live in michigan and i've been to the places he films and talks about. i've met some members of the michigan militia too.
detroit is fucking shit for a city, but flint is definitely the worst. we watched 'roger and me' in a class last year. flint is sooo depressing... it pissed me off that the mother of the boy who shot kayla (?) had to go all the way to the stupid upper middle class mall just to work for min. wage. my best friend is an emt in flint and she has to deal with the violence and stupidity on a daily basis...bah...sorry to go off topic...

Samsa
01-11-2003, 01:35 AM
yeah. in the documentary they showed shots of whatever her name is in court. did she seriously get arrested 'cause her kid shot a little girl? was she convicted?

Reine Noir
01-11-2003, 01:41 AM
oops...i messed my last post up...
i'm not sure if she was convicted. i'm going to find out...