View Full Version : What should I do? What would you do? (school related)

obscured01
11-27-2005, 02:06 PM
<font color="dab9ea">I'm taking this Russian class this semester, which is a 5 hr class so you have to go 5 days a week - which I don't think I've ever been able to do for various reasons. I've done okay (b's and c's) on the first 3 tests, however these past two months have just been shit (totaling two cars, my cat etc.) so I've gotten myself into a mess and didn't attend a bunch of class days and missed a test.

I'm embarrassed to go back because I've missed so much and the professor is not at all able to work with you with any issues. I told her my car caught on fire so I wouldn't be into class that day and she pitched a fit at me. So we only have two weeks of class left, but I don't think I could make it - and it's after the drop date (drop date used to be the first week of december, but they changed it to october 31st :/). So if I failed the class I could simply retake it (which wouldn't be bad because I actually have a hold on what we're doing now) and it should replace the failed grade.

What should I do?

I seriously think some people just aren't cut out for college .. and I don't think I'm cut out for it. I'm a little more than halfway through though... I can't quit now but I wish I could :(</font>

Orenthal James
11-27-2005, 02:08 PM
you should go to class.

bardy
11-27-2005, 02:09 PM
why dont you figure out what you would need to get on the final to pass the class

vanilla
11-27-2005, 02:12 PM
if i were in the same situation i wouldn't go back to class and just say fuck it. i guess do whatever you feel like. :/

obscured01
11-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by vanilla
if i were in the same situation i wouldn't go back to class and just say fuck it. i guess do whatever you feel like. :/

<font color="dab9ea">See this is kind of what I'm thinking... I could retake the class next semester, and probably make an A or B and it wouldn't really put me behind.

I suck. :(</font>

Moron 5
11-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Need help with russian? Ask a nigga!

I can help 4 real!

Here are several phrases you should learn (don't 4get to enable cyrillique encoding in ya browsa):

1) Ha ya doin?

1) Трахни меня поглубже

2) Nice to meet ya

2) Как тебе это нравиться больше сзади или спереди

3) Good bye

3) А нипошли бы ка вы на хуй

4) See ya!

4) Как насчёт чашечки хуя, тебе с сахорком или без?

bardy
11-27-2005, 02:26 PM
god you are a horrible troll

obscured01
11-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Moron 5
Need help with russian? Ask a nigga!

I can help 4 real!

Here are several phrases you should learn (don't 4get to enable cyrillique encoding in ya browsa):

1) Ha ya doin?

1) Трахни меня поглубже

2) Nice to meet ya

2) Как тебе это нравиться больше сзади или спереди

3) Good bye

3) А нипошли бы ка вы на хуй

4) See ya!

4) Как насчёт чашечки хуя, тебе с сахорком или без?

<font color="dab9ea">That isn't russian, that's just gibberish.

I tried to post in Russian here once and it came out just like that. I guess netphoria isn't encoded for cyrillic.</font>

Moron 5
11-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by vipbrj
god you are a horrible troll

bass in yo face, putty!

pink_ribbon_scars
11-27-2005, 02:35 PM
i don't understand what your options are. so you can get a F but have it replaced with a better grade if you just quit going to class and get the F and then waste a bunch of time re-doing it next semester for no good reason because you didn't even need to learn russian in the first place? i would say go to class and get a good solid D and say goodbye to Russian forever, but i bet you're totally fucked at this point, though, and you probably couldn't get anything but an F. i got a D in easy french and i hadn't disappeared for weeks at any point. i don't know... are you applying to jobs where grades are important, because you have a lot of shitty grades, right? at some point i just said "fuck this" and i plowed on with my shitty grades so i could graduate from college. if i had shot for As and Bs only, i never would have graduated. i am the queen of the C-. why the hell were you taking russian?? language classes are the ones that it's most important to never miss, and you miss a ton of class. i guess it's easy for me to say that in retrospect. by my final year in college, i came to understand the system well enough to just graduate and get my degree and get the fuck out of there. shoot for that!! :( poor sarah. you and i need to get our shit together! :(

Moron 5
11-27-2005, 02:36 PM
arite heres a screenshot

obscured01
11-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by pink_ribbon_scars
i don't understand what your options are. so you can get a F but have it replaced with a better grade if you just quit going to class and get the F and then waste a bunch of time re-doing it next semester for no good reason because you didn't even need to learn russian in the first place? i would say go to class and get a good solid D and say goodbye to Russian forever, but i bet you're totally fucked at this point, though, and you probably couldn't get anything but an F. i got a D in easy french and i hadn't disappeared for weeks at any point. i don't know... are you applying to jobs where grades are important, because you have a lot of shitty grades, right? at some point i just said "fuck this" and i plowed on with my shitty grades so i could graduate from college. if i had shot for As and Bs only, i never would have graduated. i am the queen of the C-. why the hell were you taking russian?? language classes are the ones that it's most important to never miss, and you miss a ton of class. i guess it's easy for me to say that in retrospect. by my final year in college, i came to understand the system well enough to just graduate and get my degree and get the fuck out of there. shoot for that!! :( poor sarah. you and i need to get our shit together! :(

<font color="dab9ea">I changed my major to english and education (I'll end up being a high school english teacher) and 15hrs of foreign language are required for this major... I didn't want to take anything else because I'm really interested in Russia, so I opted for that. And I would've done great had the class not been a 5hr class that requires you to attend every single day, 5 days a week. But yeah, if I fail, either way I think I can just retake the class and it will replace the grade. I need to find that out though. Although I know that was the way it used to work. I'm doing fine in my other two classes, it's just this damned 5 hr class :(</font>

bardy
11-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by obscured01

<font color="dab9ea">I changed my major to english and education (I'll end up being a high school english teacher) and 15hrs of foreign language are required for this major... I didn't want to take anything else because I'm really interested in Russia, so I opted for that. And I would've done great had the class not been a 5hr class that requires you to attend every single day, 5 days a week. But yeah, if I fail, either way I think I can just retake the class and it will replace the grade. I need to find that out though. Although I know that was the way it used to work. I'm doing fine in my other two classes, it's just this damned 5 hr class :(</font>

since it's "required" does that mean you have to pass it with a C-? Some of my required classes require a C- and some don't...but it was mainly just the freshman weed-out classes so maybe that's why.

You sound like you want to say "screw it!" and take it next semester... so just do that!

SuckSuckStyle
11-27-2005, 03:38 PM
does your school have incompletes? like can you stop going to class and get all the stuff you need from your prof to complete it eventually? my old school had that. you could take an 'incomplete' grade and the prof would tell you exaclty what you need to complete it and you still got credit as long as everything was in and signed and stuff by your prof before you graduate..

obscured01
11-27-2005, 03:42 PM
<font color="dab9ea">And I'm sorry I didn't make the question clear. Would you continue going to class just to fail (retaking the class next semester), or quit now because you know you can't do any better and then retake the next semester. I guess that's what I was asking.</font>

Lucy Sky Diamonds
11-27-2005, 03:47 PM
<font color="dab9ea">And I'm sorry I didn't make the question clear. Would you continue going to class just to fail (retaking the class next semester), or quit now because you know you can't do any better and then retake the next semester. I guess that's what I was asking.</font>

I'd keep trying even though failure was imminent, because if I knew that I could replace the grade the following semester, I'd want to be damn sure to get an A for taking the class a second time and paying for it a second time.

Toby
11-27-2005, 04:22 PM
just keep going to class and if you fail take it again!!!

obscured01
11-28-2005, 11:26 PM
<font color="dab9ea">So my Russian prof. just emailed me and said to come to class or come to her office and she will help me do what I need to to pass the class.

I'm all freaked out. But that's super nice of her... since I've missed like a week and a half of class. I need a viable excuse as to why I've missed. I don't think my cat dying will really work :(

So yeah. I'm going to go to class tomorrow and hand her the three chapters of homework I did (that were due before but I hadn't turned in) trying to catch up... and hope that will make some difference.

So. What should I say as my excuse for not coming to class? </font>

Orenthal James
11-28-2005, 11:28 PM
pass that grass before you pass the class and that classy ass will pull massive tracks

Future Boy
11-28-2005, 11:30 PM
Just tell her the truth, she seems somewhat reasonable.

Future Boy
11-28-2005, 11:31 PM
And I dont understand something if you get an F now, wouldnt you need an A later just to balance it out to a C? Or am I thinking GPA?

obscured01
11-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Future Boy
Just tell her the truth, she seems somewhat reasonable.

<font color="dab9ea">That I was lazy and would skip her class to do homework for others and that I was embarrassed to come back after missing so much class?

:(</font>

obscured01
11-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Future Boy
And I dont understand something if you get an F now, wouldnt you need an A later just to balance it out to a C? Or am I thinking GPA?

<font color="dab9ea">I can retake the class and it will grade replace. But if she helps me pass with a C then I'm good to go.</font>

Future Boy
11-28-2005, 11:33 PM

<font color="dab9ea">That I was lazy and would skip her class to do homework for others and that I was embarrassed to come back after missing so much class?

:(</font>
I meant your cat and car and everything else. Leave the lazy part out.

The Gaddrow
11-28-2005, 11:36 PM
<font color="dab9ea">
since I've missed like a week and a half of class. I need a viable excuse as to why I've missed. I don't think my cat dying will really work :(

So. What should I say as my excuse for not coming to class? </font>

For a week and a half, you're going to need a major death or illness. You could go with lots of little excuses (some true, some not), but lots of excuses tend to sound more like a lie than a big one. Keep in mind, though, that with an illness, your professor may want you to get a note from a doctor. Additionally, your professor may very well talk to your other professors, so you will something that explains why you could go to your other classes, but not this class. Laziness and embarassment are definitely not viable excuses.

The Gaddrow
11-28-2005, 11:40 PM
You could try just saying that you had some personal and family issues you had to deal with. It seems unlikely that your professor will prode further and question you about it.

Axis of Action
11-28-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm graduating in May and I'll have you all know I'm pretty terrified of the real world

obscured01
11-28-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by The Gaddrow
You could try just saying that you had some personal and family issues you had to deal with. It seems unlikely that your professor will prode further and question you about it.

<font color="dab9ea">A coworker said I should tell her that my work required me to work double shifts and have the mgr type up a letter corborating it. :/

Here's the email she just sent me:

Dear Sarah,

Please come see me (or come to class) and I’ll help you do what you need to do to pass this class.

</font>

obscured01
11-29-2005, 08:12 PM
<font color="dab9ea">I met with my prof. before class today and she was super nice and said that sometimes some semesters are just rough for people when stuff comes up. She was very nice and understanding and said if I went to class for the next two weeks, turned in all the homework and redid any tests that I hadn't done too well on I should pass without a problem.

This was really nice of her, she didn't have to do that. </font>

Lucy Sky Diamonds
11-29-2005, 08:13 PM
That's really cool of her.

Esty
11-29-2005, 08:15 PM
I like it when good things happen to good people. It gives me hope.

murgle
11-30-2005, 03:46 AM
Glad that worked out for you.

Thankfully, I got out of taking any foreign language in college because apparently the french I took for 6 years really sank in. I took a placement test when I got to UT and I figured they'd stick me in like 2nd or 3rd level French class, but lo and behold, I placed out with something like 16 hours. I'm only one class away at UNT from having a fucking minor in the language. I'd totally go for the minor, but I haven't spoken French since I graduated high school and would be totally screwed in an upper level french course!

Hey man, I'm a History major and I'm going to get my Secondary teaching certification too. We can be teaching buddies!