View Full Version : I hate it when...

Trotskilicious
11-22-2005, 04:46 PM
You're just entering the bus transfer station to watch the bus you're supposed to catch leave the transfer station.
Professors assign four page papers when the topic and questions can be concicely answered in two pages.

sppunk
11-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Paper length mandates are a true sign your professor doesn't know shit.

Trotskilicious
11-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by sppunk

Coming from a journalism major, this means a lot.

ammy
11-22-2005, 04:56 PM
his grammar, or the statement's implication?

Axis of Action
11-22-2005, 04:59 PM

I dislike it when they give you a very specific goal to shoot for, like 4 pages. I don't mind ranges however, like 2-4. I think that's probably the best tactic cause otherwise people would be dumb about it.

ammy
11-22-2005, 04:59 PM
generally i get pissed off at length specifications 'cause i have to par mine down. :(

sppunk
11-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Axis of Action

I dislike it when they give you a very specific goal to shoot for, like 4 pages. I don't mind ranges however, like 2-4. I think that's probably the best tactic cause otherwise people would be dumb about it. Ranges are OK - but college students should know how much it takes to correctly fulfill the assignment.

Whether the student can be concise and do it in 3, or use 20, it shouldn't matter.

Nimrod's Son
11-22-2005, 05:08 PM
I have to take the bus in the first place

Axis of Action
11-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Ranges are OK - but college students should know how much it takes to correctly fulfill the assignment.

Whether the student can be concise and do it in 3, or use 20, it shouldn't matter.

oh I totally agree

once you're an upperclassman in college, and you still resort to being a dick about paper assignments, they should forcibly throw you out on your ass

Deleted_User
11-22-2005, 05:10 PM
WHEN PEOPLE MAKES THREADS AND COMPLAIN ABOUT STUPID SHIT THAT NOBODY CARES ABOUT HAHA

Toby
11-22-2005, 05:10 PM
i get paid and im immediatley broke that next day

Trotskilicious
11-22-2005, 05:12 PM
or use 20, it shouldn't matter.

I completely disagree. If someone is unable to argue their point without writing a master's thesis there is a problem.

sppunk
11-22-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Trotskilicious

I completely disagree. If someone is unable to argue their point without writing a master's thesis they have missed the point.

Lets not even mention the fact that if a professor has to read 30 some odd five to six page papers and if you had papers of random length it would be even more difficult. I honestly don't want to read a sophomore prattle on for 20 pages about World War II. But if the student uses the 20 to delve into the issue far beyond the "requirement" it shouldn't be viewed as wrong.

If I were a professor, I'd not assign papers in any non-specific and non-upper level/advanced course because the majority of students not in those can't write or articulate points worth a damn.

Trotskilicious
11-22-2005, 05:17 PM
But if the student uses the 20 to delve into the issue far beyond the "requirement" it shouldn't be viewed as wrong.

Considering that professors usually have to read 40-50 papers for small classes, I would be pretty upset that the goody two shoes are turning in overlong papers.

sppunk
11-22-2005, 05:22 PM

Considering that professors usually have to read 40-50 papers for small classes, I would be pretty upset that the goody two shoes are turning in overlong papers. Point made.

But in that case, put a limit on pages (say no more than eight). Most collegiate papers shouldn't be long anyway, as most are specific and point-driven.

When I eventually become a history professor, my class with have three assignments all year. A book report on a book chosen by the student (in-depth analysis), a mid-term that consists of three short answer essays and a longer essay and a final that consists of solely one question ecompassing the entire spectrum we have studied.

Will some students loathe this style? Most definitely. As a professor though, I'll feel it's the best way to judge students' attrition of the information we cover over the course of the semester.

Trotskilicious
11-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son

I have to take the bus in the first place

Yeah, I sure miss paying gas prices.

Fathoms (unadored)
11-22-2005, 05:26 PM

You're just entering the bus transfer station to watch the bus you're supposed to catch leave the transfer station.

I'm fairly confident that I have the worst luck with buses of any person ever.

Trotskilicious
11-22-2005, 05:35 PM
\Will some students loathe this style?

Your final sounds pretty gay.

wHATcOLOR
11-22-2005, 05:35 PM

Your final sounds pretty gay.

you're pretty gay

Trotskilicious
11-22-2005, 05:41 PM
The wit!

jczeroman
11-22-2005, 06:20 PM
, I'll feel it's the best way to judge students' attrition of the information we cover over the course of the semester.

I couldn't agree more. If my bid to take over the world fails and I become a history professor. I'll have a similar approach...

tootsie
11-22-2005, 06:22 PM
one paper i had to write this semester had to be EXACTLY 4000 words. we were marked down for going over or under that exact number. it was retarded.

Trotskilicious
11-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by tootsie
one paper i had to write this semester had to be EXACTLY 4000 words. we were marked down for going over or under that exact number. it was retarded.

Somebody's professor has OCD.

Trotskilicious
11-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by jczeroman

I couldn't agree more. If my bid to take over the world fails and I become a history professor. I'll have a similar approach...

Well then, lets say the course is on, lets say, 19th Century America. What would the question be? This goes for both of you.

sppunk
11-22-2005, 07:52 PM

Well then, lets say the course is on, lets say, 19th Century America. What would the question be? This goes for both of you. I had this exact format in a Russian history (rise of the serf rebellion) course.

The question, while I don't remember, had three parts and basically centered on presenting the ideological and political shifts that eventually led to the 1917 overthrow.

But, the course itself has to be specific and not an overview like "American history from 1800-1899".

murgle
11-22-2005, 08:12 PM
-i break my toe on the bathroom door frame

Trotskilicious
11-22-2005, 08:13 PM
I had this exact format in a Russian history (rise of the serf rebellion) course.

The question, while I don't remember, had three parts and basically centered on presenting the ideological and political shifts that eventually led to the 1917 overthrow.

But, the course itself has to be specific and not an overview like "American history from 1800-1899".

I personally find in-class essays to be ridiculous and unreasonable. I'm talking about simple ones I get now, not 8 page papers like you expect.

It really proves nothing if someone can write an essay in class. Preperation and extensive research can produce far better results. There is nothing wrong with short answer essay tests. This shit about having to formulate an essay in less than an hour makes little sense and has no practical application. I know there are extremely bright students that struggle with in-class essays and slacker douchebags (like me) that breeze through them with little to no effort.

My greatest challenge as a professor would be to flunk slackers.

MusicMan4
11-22-2005, 08:23 PM
i hate it when i read this abysmal message board

Trotskilicious
11-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Sean Casey

Why are you so sad? Basketball is here again!

patrick
11-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Sean Casey
that and

when i spend a lot of time on myspace

MusicMan4
11-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by patrick

that and

when i spend a lot of time on myspace

you just signed off aim when i opened the window to type you a message