View Full Version : any Paul McCartney fans here?

FasterThanFate
10-15-2005, 04:45 PM
im downloading his new one right now, i heard it was pretty good. i hope so, because the last 10 albums he's put out have been 98% crap. (except his live album from a couple years ago. i liked it alot.)

yes, i knwo is sound old, but hey, once a beatles fan, always a beatles fan.

patrick
10-15-2005, 05:14 PM
yes he's great, no he hasn't put out anything worth hearing in nearly 30 years and yes i'm seeing him in november

Super Cres
10-15-2005, 05:18 PM
I am seeing him in November too, but only because I got a free ticket.

danondorf
10-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by FasterThanFate

yes, i knwo is sound old, but hey, once a beatles fan, always a beatles fan.

;)

green chair
10-16-2005, 10:37 AM
flaming pie had some good tunes

tcm
10-16-2005, 01:39 PM
i like that song, Blackbird.

FasterThanFate
10-16-2005, 02:26 PM
well, like every album, i think this one is kinda 'meh.' not a total throwaway, but it's no McCartney I either.

Izzle
10-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by tcm
i like that song, Blackbird.

agreed

spring
10-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by green chair
flaming pie had some good tunes

indeed.

i also liked a song or two, here and there, from the other albums he released over the past 30 years. i'd love to see him live, but he was in toronto last weekend and tickets were $75-$300...

C33
10-18-2005, 12:50 AM
i heard jenny wren is blackbird pt 2

patrick
10-18-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by C33
i heard jenny wren is blackbird pt 2
i'd just like to point out that this poster devoured this review-by-comparison bullshit soundbyte from the most recent issue of rolling stone, shat it out and sat on it

C33
10-18-2005, 07:29 AM
i've never read rolling stone in my life

green chair
10-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by spring

indeed.

i also liked a song or two, here and there, from the other albums he released over the past 30 years. i'd love to see him live, but he was in toronto last weekend and tickets were $75-$300...

completely worth the money to see a beatle (Besides ringo)!

i've shelled out 300 twice to see him

scouse_dave
10-19-2005, 06:26 PM
flaming pie had some good tunes it certainly did. that's his best album since the 70's in my humble opinion.

mellon_c0llie
10-20-2005, 09:53 AM
This one is produced by good ol' nigel godrich from radiohead fame. It's apparent that paul wants to sound like radiohead here which is cool but it doesn't really work for him. There's at least two songs that he does the a minor to a major chord progression of "morning bell" but it isn't delivered with as much finese as radiohead.

Jenny Wren is obviously the standout track on this album. It will get old fast so i'm not putting a lot of love it's way.

Fine line trys to capture the energy of "USSR" or "drive my car" but just fails to make the same connections.

I think vanity fair was about the most complete radiohead/mccartney synthesis that actually worked, but it's still not a memorable song.

One of pauls strengths as a beatle was creating cutting edge music that pointed the way for other musicians. Paul is not a leader anymore and the best he can do is get close to what others are doing. He does succed in doing that.

There's a ghost paul is chasing on this album and he may have gotten close enough to touch it but not close enough to grasp it.

spring
10-20-2005, 08:51 PM

completely worth the money to see a beatle (Besides ringo)!

i've shelled out 300 twice to see him

well, next time, take me :p. I can't really afford spending $300 on pretty much anything right now.

spring
10-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by mellon_c0llie
This one is produced by good ol' nigel godrich from radiohead fame. It's apparent that paul wants to sound like radiohead here which is cool but it doesn't really work for him. There's at least two songs that he does the a minor to a major chord progression of "morning bell" but it isn't delivered with as much finese as radiohead.

Jenny Wren is obviously the standout track on this album. It will get old fast so i'm not putting a lot of love it's way.

Fine line trys to capture the energy of "USSR" or "drive my car" but just fails to make the same connections.

I think vanity fair was about the most complete radiohead/mccartney synthesis that actually worked, but it's still not a memorable song.

One of pauls strengths as a beatle was creating cutting edge music that pointed the way for other musicians. Paul is not a leader anymore and the best he can do is get close to what others are doing. He does succed in doing that.

There's a ghost paul is chasing on this album and he may have gotten close enough to touch it but not close enough to grasp it.

i really enjoyed this review, thank you for posting it. i think it captures a few things that most of us would miss.