View Full Version : I was rocked by the Foos last night

redbreegull
10-11-2005, 05:26 AM
Best fucking concert ever. Weezer fucking destroyed too. No time to post a full review now, I'll do it when I get home from school. In short, I had great seats even though they weren't right up front. At one point Grohl ran through the crowd and came and played on a platform just a few feet in front of us. It was an hour and a half of screaming and guitar pounding with such an incredible amount of passion that when the band cut out and Dave played Everlong by himself, I was almost brought to tears.

dean moriaty
10-11-2005, 05:31 AM
redbull

I'm Hardcore
10-11-2005, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by redbreegull
Dave played Everlong by himself, I was almost brought to tears.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl:

I'm Hardcore
10-11-2005, 06:24 AM
Dave Grohl is so so fucking overrated

Netphorian Gadabout
10-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Patriot Center? I was there too. Awesome show. Kaiser Chiefs were amusing too. Were you on the floor?

celluloid_love
10-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by I'm Hardcore

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl:

Cut him some slack man, don't be so judgmental. I was the same way about bands in my earlier years of high school.

disslunker
10-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by celluloid_love

I was the same way about bands in my earlier years of high school.

I have been nearly brought to tears at a show before (eels, animal collective) but...i randomly do that in the car / at home / in malls as well, so its possibly not because of the music.

either way i would never cry at a foo fighters concert

...out of joy, that is.

at least not anymore

:erm

ZackZ
10-11-2005, 12:21 PM
SOMEONE'S GETTING THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST OF YOUUUUU! :rockon:

dishpan
10-11-2005, 01:05 PM
heads up, i use the phrases great and really fun a lot in here because i didnt have a lot of time to write this.

went to the patriot center last night to catch a great concert. we had good seats and it was a lot of fun. ive seen weezer plenty of times and none of us had seen the foo fighters before even though we all love them. they were co-headlining, meaning even though one plays before the other, both play for 90 minutes and get an encore.

weezer opened with my name is jonas, which they did a little slower than on the cd, and i didnt think was that great. but then they followed with dont let go, which they pitch-shifted up a key. normally when bands do that live its just to be different, and nowhere near as good as the album version. but on this song it really worked well, i liked it. they then played through a selection from all their albums, mostly the hits (like beverly hills and hash pipe), and even some pinkerton songs, which was fun. then they did some very unusual things that i have never seen them do. first, they played this dope knows but scott sang it instead of rivers. he did a great job. then they played why bother, but brian sang it instead of rivers, and that was great too. then they played photograph , during which rivers and pat switched spots, so rivers played drums, and pat played lead guitar and sang!

other crazy stuff -- they told the crowd they love the foo fighters, but were sad that the foo fighters never play their old hit big me anymore. so they covered it and it was really fun. they also covered song two by blur and that was really fun. during el scorcho some nameless guy came out from backstage and played guitar for rivers, while brian played keyboards, and then rivers ran around and jumped around singing without playing an instrument, which i havent seen him do before. at one point in the show, the whole band left the stage except for rivers, and he walked out all the way to the back of the crowd and played island in the sun solo with just an acoustic guitar back at the soundboard. it was great. the absolute highlight of their show though was when they went into the crowd to find a fan who knew how to play undone the sweater song on guitar from memory. they found a girl in the second row whom they brought on stage and then the whole band gathered around her and they jammed out on the spot. it was so crazy, she couldnt believe it. lots of fun. the final song they played was surf wax america which they extended for the ending.

then the foo fighters took the stage and played a bunch of rockin songs off their new album. as you know dave grohl is from here so there were lots of jokes about the area. he made sure to point out his mom and dad and wife in the audience with a spotlight. they too played lots of hits (like my hero, learning to fly, everlong, etc) and were very energetic and exciting. he was very funny throughout all his chatter with the fans, jack black like humor. they didnt cover any other bands songs, but like weezer they did a switch where dave played drums and taylor played lead guitar and sang.

thanks for reading
dan

ps: dave set the record straight, he said he went a year at both jefferson and annandale high schools.

Netphorian Gadabout
10-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Weezer played alot more songs after Surf Wax. They closed the main set with Photograph>Song 2>Hash Pipe, and the encore was Island In The Sun, Undone, Buddy Holly.

dishpan
10-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Pumpkins23836
Weezer played alot more songs after Surf Wax. They closed the main set with Photograph>Song 2>Hash Pipe, and the encore was Island In The Sun, Undone, Buddy Holly.

my mistake, faulty memory

Rockin' Cherub
10-11-2005, 01:38 PM
've seen the foos some months ago and that quiet version of everlong was the best part. although it wasn't a very good idea.

I'm Hardcore
10-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by celluloid_love

Cut him some slack man, don't be so judgmental. I was the same way about bands in my earlier years of high school.

:rolleyes:

man, get off your high horse. Its funny that he was moved to tears by Dave Grohl. Im down with crying, its all good.

FasterThanFate
10-11-2005, 02:47 PM
awesome. glad you had fun.

Shapan
10-11-2005, 04:56 PM
sounds cool, dave grohl still belongs behind a drum kit.

i might cry when i finally see radiohead live.

green chair
10-11-2005, 06:30 PM

Im down with crying, its all good.

yeah but not at a Grunge Rock show!

LittleWing
10-11-2005, 06:39 PM
I had some crap seats too, but one of the security guys let me down onto the floor about 3 songs into weezers setlist. I saw someone wearing a zero shirt and thought there was an outside chance they were from netphoria, but I didn't say anything.

LittleWing
10-11-2005, 06:41 PM
I liked groping the crowd surfers.

pale blue eyes
10-11-2005, 07:33 PM
They're always pretty good live, even if you're not crazy about the newer stuff.

redbreegull
10-11-2005, 08:50 PM
I saw the guy with the Zero shirt too.

Dishpan already covered most stuff.

I was in the first row behind the floor, so I had a great view right over everyone's head. This was a small arena, so it wasn't far at all. Dave commented that he had gotten high several times at the college campus where the arena is located. He also talked about Krispy Kream and other weird things.

Rivers played Island in the Sun alone, on a platform 10 feet in front of me. Later on Dave Grohl ran through the crowd and climbed onto the same platform. Him and Chris dueled on their guitars from across the arena for a few minutes. I can't remember a set list, but I think these were all the songs played:

In Your Honor
All My Life
My Hero
Times Like These
Best of You
Up In Arms (was played for his parents, the word girl was replaced with Grohls)
Learn to Fly
Stacked Actors
D.O.A.
Cold Day In The Sun (sung by Taylor)
This Is A Call
Everlong (played by Dave only until last chorus when the whole band came in, dedicated to his wife)

Encore:

Break Out
Monkey Wrench

celluloid_love
10-11-2005, 09:35 PM

:rolleyes:

man, get off your high horse. Its funny that he was moved to tears by Dave Grohl. Im down with crying, its all good.

Same here. I was talking about bands like Foo Fighters and the RHCP.

dishpan
10-11-2005, 09:42 PM
i too saw someone in a zero shirt. in the back middle section i think.
i also saw a cute chick with short hair in a TFE shirt of all things. was that any of you?
dan

Nimrod's Son
10-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Shapan
sounds cool, dave grohl still belongs behind a drum kit.

i might cry when i finally see radiohead live. i might cry if I had to watch Radiohead for an hour too