View Full Version : Just Got Back from a 6-Month Study Abroad in Chile

Anus Meatballs
10-05-2005, 11:40 AM
I was hoping to meet up with KAT but that never happened.

Spent most of the time in San Felipe.

Was able to do some sightseeing and touristy shit.

Great place man. Great fucking place.

I'll post pics and my diary shortly.

Krazee's Ghost
10-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Wow, cool! Thanks, Anus Meatballs.

Anus Meatballs
10-05-2005, 02:35 PM
I guess noboby care.

pink_ribbon_scars
10-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Anus Meatballs
I guess noboby care.

if you posted more tactile stuff about the trip then we might care, anus meatballs

Anus Meatballs
10-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Let me tell you about a side trip me and my trip companion went on when we had some time off from our studies.

We travelled to the Chilean towns of Punta Arenas (12 hours from Ushuaia) and then onto Puerto Natales where we would travel through the Chilean fjords on the Navimag ferry. We had just enough time to travel back into Argentina to visit the towns of El Calafate and El Chalten where we spent a few days checking out the sites in these places. El Calafate is home to the Perito Moreno glacier and the latter is home to the beautiful Fitz Roy range. Unfortunately, we have downloaded all the pictures from these two places onto a CD which is now in one of our packs, so the only photo we have to share is the sunset over El Calafate. On our return to Puerto Natales, the bus we were on blew a tire, and we were just fortunate to reach the Chilean border before it closed for the night. We boarded the Navimag ferry, The Puerto Eden, which is a smaller ferry than normal. The larger ferry was damaged in an earlier voyage, so accomodation on the smaller ferry was a bit tight. We were fortunate to have upgraded to a 4 berth cabin and shared it with 2 great ladies from Germany. We travelled through some very narrow channels, saw lots of seals, sea otters and birds and every once in awhile some whales. The first 2 days we had great weather, then the sky and sea both turned gray, and the sea became rough. Fortunately the bar tender sold sea sick pills, and they worked really well, and I didnīt experience any sea sickness, but the lineups for dinner that night were very short. The next morning we were back in protected waters, but it was very much a B.C. morning, fog, rain and cloud.

The following morning we docked in Puerto Montt and everyone was glad to be back on solid ground. We had hoped to catch a bus that morning to Bariloche, but everyone had the same idea, so we had to wait one day in Puerto Montt. The 12 hour bus trip to Bariloche through the Chilean countryside was great. Fields are lush and green, lots of holsteins kicking their heels up in the tall grass. A large area is devoted to dairy farms and orchards. As we got closer to the mountains the trees towered over the highway and I felt somewhat claustrophobic, you have to remember we have been travelling in the open flat pampa now for well over 2 months. Once we reached the pass, the trees dwindled and once again I could see open sky and felt much better. The forests are very thick, with bamboo groves, huge gunnera plants and pines and firs. It reminded us very much of B.C. especially when we hit all the lakes and rivers. The water is very clear, and we know the big fish are hiding there somewhere!! We got off the bus in Bariloche and took one look at the city with high rises and decided to catch another bus 2 hours south to the laid back town of El Bolson. We will spend some time here.....

pink_ribbon_scars
10-05-2005, 04:53 PM
that was alright to read but would be better with pictures

Anus Meatballs
10-05-2005, 04:56 PM
I'll post pics when I get home.

RopeyLopey
10-05-2005, 04:57 PM
how did you like the wind in Patagonia?

pink_ribbon_scars
10-05-2005, 04:59 PM
i'm envious of your trip. i tried to win the lottery yesterday so i could do something similar, but it didn't pan out. please do post the pictures.

Black Somalian
10-05-2005, 05:00 PM
www.livejournal.com