View Full Version : No Fiona Apple thread?

Ghetto_Squirrel
10-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Come on, if I can like the "new" album, so can all of you.

patrick
10-02-2005, 10:21 PM
what

Eulogy
10-02-2005, 10:53 PM
The only re-worked stuff I've heard is Oh Sailor and Not About Love. I'm curious to see what's different with all the other ones.

FearFactory
10-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Who?

Shparticus
10-04-2005, 09:44 PM
This thread must be re-purposed:

FIONA APPLE'S EXTRAORDINARY MACHINE INDICATES THE TRIUMPHANT RETURN OF MUSIC TO THE PUBLIC CONCIOUSNESS - DISCUSS

RopeyLopey
10-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Eulogy
The only re-worked stuff I've heard is Oh Sailor and Not About Love. I'm curious to see what's different with all the other ones. the whole album is on her myspace page.

Shparticus
10-05-2005, 07:19 AM
I am kinda disappointed that they took the edge off of a lot of the songs and threw some guitars around, but it doesn't change the fact that the songs are still good.

Eulogy
10-05-2005, 09:54 PM
fucking shit.

Jon Brion's work was so much better. Not About Love, Better Version of Me, and Used to Love Him (Tymps or whatever) were just butchered. Oh Sailor is a little bit better.

The strings in Not About Love and Oh Well were the best parts of the album. and they're gone. ugh.

Shparticus
10-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Mm. Brion's work was cuter. I really don't feel that anything was subtracted from the songs with the final release. I miss the strings a little bit, but in the end I think they were just too ostentatious on their own like that. It felt like Fiona VS the Boston Pops Orchestra string section.

Eulogy
10-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Shparticus
Mm. Brion's work was cuter. I really don't feel that anything was subtracted from the songs with the final release. I miss the strings a little bit, but in the end I think they were just too ostentatious on their own like that. It felt like Fiona VS the Boston Pops Orchestra string section.

The drums in Not About Love just don't fit. Maybe that's the point.... but they certainly don't make the song more accessible. And the last "what wasted unconditional love" is way less dramatic. And Oh Well in general is just a lot....lighter or something.

RopeyLopey
10-06-2005, 05:21 PM
Brion > this new guy.

I am glad I have the original version.

Lie
10-07-2005, 01:13 AM
I don't really feel like comparing the two. The released album has everything flipped around...song order, mood, etc. It's spacier and funkier and obviously more heavily produced and the gut reaction of most people (myself *******d) is that the first one was better, but that doesn't keep me from liking some of the weird atmospheric shit that got put on the new versions, especially already knowing the songs.

The leaked version of "Get Him Back" was really cool in a sort of frantic, perverse way, wasn't it? It really sounds like she's going to explode at the end.

Eulogy
10-09-2005, 09:13 PM
After repeated listens...

Not About Love almost redeems itself. After the first verse and chorus or whatever, it's actually pretty cool.

I still think Better Version of Me and Used to Love Him were completely ruined. Oh Well really benefited from the strings I think.

I think those are my only complaints.

Ghetto_Squirrel
10-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Does anyone want to YouSendIt the Brion version?