View Full Version : Jonny Greenwood and Phil Selway of Radiohead being sued


Tchocky
10-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Canadian Folk Group Sues Jarvis Cocker, Members Of Radiohead, Warner Brothers Over Harry Potter Movie

<i>Harry Potter, the bespectacled wizard who fights off evil demons and snotty classmates, has a new adversary to deal with - a female fronted Winnipeg folk group.

15-year-old folk band The Wyrd Sisters are suing Warner Brothers Entertainment Canada, Warner Brothers Records, Pulp's Jarvis Cocker and Radiohead's Phil Selway and Johnny Greenwood for trademark infringement in an Ontario court.

Here's the problem: In J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire there's a band of wizards called The Wyrd Sisters, who play at the Hogwarts Yule Ball. In the movie, due out November 18, Cocker, Selway and Greenwood play these rock 'n' roll wizards, originally under the same name.

Of course, this pissed off the Juno-nominated Wyrd Sisters. Singer and band co-founder Kim Baryluk says if their name is used in the Harry Potter movie it'll mean the end for these folkies.

"[Harry Potter] is so much more huge than us in their reach that we'll go out on tour a month after the movie comes out and we'll go all over to Australia, to New Zealand and people will wonder who are these strange people stealing the Harry Potter name?"

Baryluk was first made aware of this conflict back in June after Warner sent her a letter offering her $5,000 to share their name. She quickly realized that sharing a band name with characters in a Harry Potter film could cause some trouble so she turned down their offer. Baryluk says getting her band off the ground again - which could involve a name change - will cost significantly more than $5,000 or the $50,000 Warner later offered.

"Do you know what I've spent on the band in the past 10 years?" says Baryluk. "In the last 10 years I've spent more than a million dollars. Offering me $50,000 is more than an insult."

So what does Warner say about all this? Although they said they don't comment on pending litigation, they did point out in a statement that the band in the movie don't have a name and that they have no intention to use The Wyrd Sisters moniker.

Radiohead's management were willing to clarify this a little further.

"[Johnny and Phil] were asked to be in the film to be The Wyrd Sisters, which is what J.K. Rowling called the band and then there's this [Canadian] band called The Wyrd Sisters, so now they can't be called The Wyrd Sisters," says a member of Radiohead's management, who didn't want to be named. "The [Canadian] Wyrd Sisters are just trying to sue them for namesake. The whole story is just a couple of people in a band trying to get some money."

Radiohead's management reiterated that the name The Wyrd Sisters won't be used in the movie. "In the film they're not being called by that name."</i>


Silly.

FearFactory
10-01-2005, 11:17 PM
Radiohead deserve to be sued for creating boring music that dorks like you keep gobbling up like it was cock.

Tchocky
10-01-2005, 11:19 PM
The source was www.greenplastic.com , BTW.

Tchocky
10-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by FearFactory
Radiohead deserve to be sued for creating boring music that dorks like you keep gobbling up like it was cock.

:2thumbsup

I'm Hardcore
10-01-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by FearFactory
Radiohead deserve to be sued for creating boring music that dorks like you keep gobbling up like it was cock.

stfu metal boy

redbreegull
10-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Radiohead pwnz guys.

I'm Hardcore
10-02-2005, 12:11 AM
actually, FearFaggotry, i cant hassle you too much, because Rush are awesome

13
10-02-2005, 12:26 AM
lol @ $5,000

talk show host
10-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by FearFactory
Radiohead deserve to be sued for creating boring music that dorks like you keep gobbling up like it was cock.

Says the guy who talks about nothing but metal

:banoonoo:

Fathoms (unadored)
10-02-2005, 12:49 AM
^us dorks are a sensitive lot!

talk show host
10-02-2005, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Fathoms (unadored)
^us dorks are a sensitive lot!

token as it may be, this made me lol

kiwi
10-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by redbreegull
Radiohead pwnz guys.
they're a bit indie/conceptual for me imo

FearFactory
10-02-2005, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by talk show host


Says the guy who talks about nothing but metal

:banoonoo:

Excuse me, but I also talk about anally penetrating 3rd graders.

green chair
10-02-2005, 10:20 AM
i love zappa and whatnot

but fearfactory has the worst taste in music on this board i'm pretty sure


not that i like radiohead's last 3 albums


thos bitches should've taken that 50 grand

the wyrd sisters of canada:

<img src=http://www.mts.net/~wyrds1/pic3_lg.gif>

Ensoul
10-02-2005, 10:45 AM
I first read it as a band of 15 year olds.

but that's gay. don't diss Jarvis.

Orchestra
10-02-2005, 11:50 AM
jesus christ.

FearFactory
10-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by green chair
i love zappa and whatnot

but fearfactory has the worst taste in music on this board i'm pretty sure


Trust me, dude.. when a netphorian says "you have bad taste in music", that's not a bad thing. It's actually one of the greatest compliments you can receive.

Nate the Grate
10-02-2005, 12:41 PM
but they do have a point

FearFactory
10-02-2005, 12:47 PM
It's called an opinion. :rolleyes:

I swear to god... the red sox win their first world series in 86 years and suddenly their fans know all.

Fonzie
10-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Tchocky
[b]"[Harry Potter] is so much more huge than us...



What, so Canadian witches don't have to spear english correctly?

bloop
10-02-2005, 04:53 PM
I've learned to take the lightweight opinions of the anti-Radiohead crowd as what they are - as funny little diversions.

You have to admit, they are at least delivered in a mildly amusing way.

FearFactory
10-02-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by bloop
I've learned to take the lightweight opinions of the anti-Radiohead crowd as what they are - as funny little diversions.

You have to admit, they are at least delivered in a mildly amusing way.

I'm not anti-Radiohead, I just think they've already released the two best albums they'll ever be able to create. It's like they hit the pinnacle with OK Computer and decided "okay, we can create this wanky, boring music and everyone will eat it up - and if not, fuck them!"

They said one of their albums (I can't remember which - it may have been Amnesiac) was meant to be listened to in one sitting. Well, if you want to do that, at least go the extra wanky mile and release it as one track. Several other bands have done so, including Fantomas and Meshuggah - so why couldn't they?

I'm leaving this one open so someone can jump in with the "THAYRE ONE A MAJUR LABELL!" comment.

yo soy el mejor
10-02-2005, 05:26 PM
radiohead sucks

bloop
10-02-2005, 05:42 PM
I believe the comment would technically say that you can listen to it in two sittings (on the way to the grocery store, and on the way back).

But, regardless, I fail to see how having them as separate tracks is any kind of real issue.

Enough has been written about their last few albums in a positive light (many with a thorough understanding of musical history etc.) that I feel those albums have already been vindicated at this point next to the ineffectual wailings of a few detractors.

(I'll readily admit, though, that there have been a number of positive reviews that weren't especially well thought-out, especially of Kid A)

Deleted_User
10-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by FearFactory


I'm not anti-Radiohead, I just think they've already released the two best albums they'll ever be able to create. It's like they hit the pinnacle with OK Computer and decided "okay, we can create this wanky, boring music and everyone will eat it up - and if not, fuck them!"

They said one of their albums (I can't remember which - it may have been Amnesiac) was meant to be listened to in one sitting. Well, if you want to do that, at least go the extra wanky mile and release it as one track. Several other bands have done so, including Fantomas and Meshuggah - so why couldn't they?

I'm leaving this one open so someone can jump in with the "THAYRE ONE A MAJUR LABELL!" comment. ...

because it's more than one song.

FearFactory
10-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by refills 79 cents
...

because it's more than one song.

So is Meshuggah's "Catch 33"

bloop
10-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Well, I for one appreciate it when it's tracked by song. Usually, I'm an album person, but it's nice to be able to skip to a particular section of the album.

I listen to a lot of music in the car, and when it's hot outside, I'm not going to leave the CD in so it will start in the same place I left off out of fear that the CD will be damaged, so it's nice that I can just remember that I was on track 8, or whatever, and just start there.

FearFactory
10-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by bloop
Well, I for one appreciate it when it's tracked by song. Usually, I'm an album person, but it's nice to be able to skip to a particular section of the album.

I listen to a lot of music in the car, and when it's hot outside, I'm not going to leave the CD in so it will start in the same place I left off out of fear that the CD will be damaged, so it's nice that I can just remember that I was on track 8, or whatever, and just start there.

The point is, they were bitching about how people need to listen to it in one sitting.

I think they're just trying to make Americans even fatter so they can invade us!

Rider
10-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by FearFactory


The point is, they were bitching about how people need to listen to it in one sitting.

I think they're just trying to make Americans even fatter so they can invade us!

Link to the artickle showing said comment and said bitching?

FearFactory
10-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Rider


Link to the artickle showing said comment and said bitching?

It's out there. Find it your damn self.

Shapan
10-02-2005, 11:55 PM
amnesiac, kid a, ok comp, and the bends are generally fighting for my favorite radiohead album.

i expect someone who listens to nothing but metal to be relatively ignorant and think two experimental album sucks. you must not like adore much either and think gish and siamese dream kick mellon collie's ass, two things i wouldnt agree with either.

Nate the Grate
10-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by FearFactory
It's called an opinion. :rolleyes:

I swear to god... the red sox win their first world series in 86 years and suddenly their fans know all.

not sure if this was directed towards me, but I was saying that the Wyrd Sisters have a point. I was staying on-topic, not getting into your little girly online fights.

FearFactory
10-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Shapan
amnesiac, kid a, ok comp, and the bends are generally fighting for my favorite radiohead album.

i expect someone who listens to nothing but metal to be relatively ignorant and think two experimental album sucks. you must not like adore much either and think gish and siamese dream kick mellon collie's ass, two things i wouldnt agree with either.

Actually, wise guy, I happen to think Adore is the best Pumpkins album and don't "listen to nothing but metal", but thanks for playing!

FearFactory
10-03-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Nate the Grate


not sure if this was directed towards me, but I was saying that the Wyrd Sisters have a point. I was staying on-topic, not getting into your little girly online fights.

They do have a point and fuck you.

Shapan
10-03-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by FearFactory


They do have a point and fuck you.

well your opinion on radiohead sucks and is wrong. :)

dean moriaty
10-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Shapan


well your opinion on radiohead sucks and is wrong. :)

dude just put fearfactory down and roll with it. this will not end well for you...

bloop
10-03-2005, 04:52 PM
I don't know that they have a legal case against Greenwood, Selway, and Cocker, but the case sounds pretty solid against Warner Brothers.

FearFactory
10-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Shapan


well your opinion on radiohead sucks and is wrong. :)

Your opinion on my opinion of Radiohead may be that it sucks, but there's no way it (my opinion) can be wrong.

Shapan
10-04-2005, 01:46 AM
you might be wrong.

Rockin' Cherub
10-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Shapan
you might be wrong.
zing!

pastry sharp
10-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by FearFactory
Radiohead deserve to be sued for creating boring music that dorks like you keep gobbling up like it was cock.

yeah, but then again, your screen name is fear factory...

barden
10-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Tchocky
Canadian Folk Group Sues Jarvis Cocker, Members Of Radiohead, Warner Brothers Over Harry Potter Movie

<i>

"[Harry Potter] is so much more huge than us in their reach that we'll go out on tour a month after the movie comes out and we'll go all over to Australia, to New Zealand and people will wonder who are these strange people stealing the Harry Potter name?"

</i>





Who are these weird people stealing their band name from Terry Pratchett?

ChristHimself!
10-07-2005, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by barden



Who are these weird people stealing their band name from Terry Pratchett?

I was wondering that myself.. they steal a band name from terry pratchett, someone else uses it, and they sue them!?!

barden
10-07-2005, 06:44 AM
I was bored so I found their site and emailed them:
------------------------
I'm just curious:

Where does a band get off suing members of another band for being in a
movie with a scripted band name, that happens to be the same as
theirs… when the name itself is far from original?

I'll assume you've heard of the author Terry Pratchett, correct?

Yeah.

Well:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0552134600/026-9572119-3051658

I know none of this is news to you. Just seems a little redundant, that's all.

Has Mr Pratchetts legal fellas got in touch with you folk yet?

Hmm…

Yeah.

I notice you guys asking for donations to fund your new transport too.
Seems you enjoy the 'money for nothing' approach ?

------------------------

ChristHimself!
10-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by barden
I was bored so I found their site and emailed them

You have to post the reply if you get one!

barden
10-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by ShotFullOfDiamonds


You have to post the reply if you get one!

Oh, naturally!

I hope they reply!