View Full Version : i feel like an old man at shows now.


spa ced
09-25-2005, 12:04 PM
- i no longer care to arrive at or before doors open.
- i no longer care to be at the front or anywhere near the front. it's too hot and uncomfortable to be surrounded by too many people.
- i hate crowds. the more packed the show the less i seem to enjoy it.
- if the opening band sucks, which 95% of the time they do, i'll just wear earplugs because it's not worth wasting my hearing on shitty music.

i saw two sold out shows this weekend. the arcade fire on friday and the decemberists/built to spill on saturday.
i couldn't really enjoy myself at the arcade fire show because the crowd was just way too into the show. the decemberists/built to spill show wasn't as crazy but built to spill went on these long jamming sessions and it got pretty annoying. i just wanted them to play car, twin falls, idaho, carry the zero, randy described eternity, and you were right. they didn't play any of those songs. i was pretty dissapointed.

anyone else here also going through this?

DeviousJ
09-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by spa ced
built to spill went on these long jamming sessions

Isn't that, like, what they do?

2Marlon2Brando
09-25-2005, 12:25 PM
if it is a band i really like i am still like a kid and i get my tickets early and get there early so i can go get in the front

dean moriaty
09-25-2005, 12:57 PM
i still get there for slightly before when the doors open. i don't bother trying to get front row centre any more. i normally get maybe 4 or 5 rows back and slightly to the side where you still get a great view but it isn't so much of a crush.

spa ced
09-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ


Isn't that, like, what they do?

if you noticed the songs that i listed (minus randy described eternity) they are these rather short straight pop songs. it seemed like they just wanted to jam out and weren't really interested in giving the audience the show they really wanted. granted they've been around since 1992 so they're probably bored of doing those straightforward shows.
oh well, i doubt i'll ever be seeing built to spill live again.

spa ced
09-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 2Marlon2Brando
if it is a band i really like i am still like a kid and i get my tickets early and get there early so i can go get in the front

i'll be seeing you in a few years at the back of the venue. we can be those annoying people that socialize while everyone else tries to listen to the music.

Oblivious
09-25-2005, 01:54 PM
when i go to shows i still get there super early. but only so that i can get the best balcony seat or standing space(far from the crowd of course) available. alas, i also am too old and tired to be doused in malt liquour while i fight some frat boy for floor space.

Rockin' Cherub
09-25-2005, 01:59 PM
i know what you mean. i go to a show because of the music. moshing and sweating teens can be quite annoying.

spa ced
09-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Oblivious
alas, i also am too old and tired to be doused in malt liquour while i fight some frat boy for floor space.

exactly. it's not that i'm not excited about the show. i am. i'm just not excited about the thought of fighting with someone to be the closest as possible or having beverages thrown on me or geting pushed back and forth. i've experienced enough of that.

ravenguy2000
09-25-2005, 02:26 PM
Didn't built to spill break up? A while back? Or am I thinking of someone else.

spa ced
09-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by ravenguy2000
Didn't built to spill break up? A while back? Or am I thinking of someone else.

There were rumors that they did but they weren't true. They're working on a new album that's going to be released next year.

pine trees
09-25-2005, 03:29 PM
I always get a spot right in the front out of necessity: I'm too short to be in the back and enjoy a show.

And a bigger crowd means more energy. I get sad whenever the place isn't packed for a band.

dean moriaty
09-25-2005, 03:35 PM
yeah i'm 6'4" so i can see over pretty much anyones head anyway. sometimes when a place isn't that packed the band will be down and just go through the motions but other times they get more involved with the crowd, a more personal experience. just depends on who's playing and how they feel that day i guess

wHATcOLOR
09-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by pine trees
I always get a spot right in the front out of necessity: I'm too short to be in the back and enjoy a show.

And a bigger crowd means more energy. I get sad whenever the place isn't packed for a band.

woah, you go out in public?

Aeris Hilton
09-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by dean moriaty
yeah i'm 6'4" so i can see over pretty much anyones head anyway. sometimes when a place isn't that packed the band will be down and just go through the motions but other times they get more involved with the crowd, a more personal experience. just depends on who's playing and how they feel that day i guess

man you are like me

a big bearded guy who spends way too much on music and stands in the back

Aeris Hilton
09-25-2005, 03:56 PM
except being british makes you a lot cooler

dean moriaty
09-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Sean Casey
except being british makes you a lot cooler

you are the coolest mr tatsy :love:

D.
09-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by spa ced

anyone else here also going through this?
i remember the exact concert i started realizing that comfortable front row balcony seat (or just being in back of crowd) are way better than standing for 2 hours in line, then 4 hours in concert, just to have people sweat all over me:

Interpol 02/08/2005

ever since then, i've stood up/been crowded for only two shows:
weezer/cake ampitheatre show (lawn seat) and abileen (local band, in a semi-crowded bar).

TuralyonW3
09-25-2005, 07:18 PM
You guys are all uninformed pussfags.

crystalline
09-26-2005, 05:19 AM
i'm going to see built to spill in early october. did they by chance play "the plan" when anyone saw them recently? i'm crossing my fingers because i've been abusing this song as of late.

Nothing/everything
09-26-2005, 07:33 AM
not that i'm feeling old or something at shows, but there's quite the difference in behaviour between people who come to see their first shows, and die hard concert goers, which is funny to observe.

What bothers me most are people that are definately not there for the music. When i go see an unknown band, i try to listen to what they play. If i don't like them, and want to talk to friends in stead, i leave. And i don't try to overscream the band the entire show.

mirrar
09-26-2005, 09:31 AM
yeah. i get tired of standing around for hours and sometimes i get so tired and burnt out i leave before the opening band comes on :(

dean moriaty
09-26-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Nothing/everything

What bothers me most are people that are definately not there for the music. When i go see an unknown band, i try to listen to what they play. If i don't like them, and want to talk to friends in stead, i leave. And i don't try to overscream the band the entire show.

Rockin' Cherub
09-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by crystalline
i'm going to see built to spill in early october. did they by chance play "the plan" when anyone saw them recently? i'm crossing my fingers because i've been abusing this song as of late.
they should play broken chairs man.

beef curtains
09-26-2005, 12:21 PM
I felt so old at Coachella when I went to see British Sea Power and the crowd was full of 14 yr old emo kids who had rushed to the front to see the Faint (which wasn't until about 3 sets later). So frustrating to see them rifling through their backpacks to get their new best friends in the crowd's phone numbers and talk about all the cool parties they'd been to :hurl:

Nimrod's Son
09-26-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by beef curtains
I felt so old at Coachella when I went to see British Sea Power and the crowd was full of 14 yr old emo kids who had rushed to the front to see the Faint (which wasn't until about 3 sets later). So frustrating to see them rifling through their backpacks to get their new best friends in the crowd's phone numbers and talk about all the cool parties they'd been to :hurl:
i didn't even go see BSP because they were against NIN

I guess that makes me even older

machinaddict
09-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Rockin' Cherub
i know what you mean. i go to a show because of the music. moshing and sweating teens can be quite annoying.

This nearly ruined the Most Serene Republic for me on saturday night. Can't people just calm the fuck down and watch the show?

Brute Squad
09-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by spa ced
i'll be seeing you in a few years at the back of the venue. we can be those annoying people that socialize while everyone else tries to listen to the music.

yes, that's me as well. at the back, slugging tasty alcoholic beverages, talking occasionally, but mostly listening.

i hated those motherfuckers when i enjoyed being up front, and i still hate them. i give the people up front the respect they deserve - i talk in the back.

mono
09-28-2005, 04:36 AM
why are the fat guys always in the back? are you too polite that you don't want us to be violated by your underarm stench?

Brute Squad
09-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by mono
why are the fat guys always in the back? are you too polite that you don't want us to be violated by your underarm stench?

Because we'd knock everyone over if we got in the pit, if such a thing were appropriate at the given show. Also, we sweat enough as it is and don't need to be surrounded by warm bodies to enjoy the show.

Also, underarm stench doesn't occur because you're fat. It just means that you don't know how to apply deoderant properly. I never stink because I know how to use the stuff.

pastry sharp
09-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by spa ced


exactly. it's not that i'm not excited about the show. i am. i'm just not excited about the thought of fighting with someone to be the closest as possible or having beverages thrown on me or geting pushed back and forth. i've experienced enough of that.

in general i'm not that excited about live music anymore - and i have the opportunity to pretty much see anyone who comes through the dallas area for free. it's just too much of a pain in the ass to go hang around a bar all night long, getting burned by some random dudes' ciggerette, paying entirely too much for a pint, to get my ear drums damaged by some asshole who doesn't know how to run a sound board - when i've got a hot wife and a super cool daughter at home, and when we can just listen to the cd.

if there is a band that i'm really into i'll go. if there's a band (like the arcade fire) who has a reputation for being a good live band, i'll go. if it's a band that my wife wants to see, i'll go. beyond that, i feel like i've seen enough rock shows for several lifetimes.

i think i'm just getting too cranky to deal with assholes in general.

beef curtains
09-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by pastry sharp

when i've got a hot wife and a super cool daughter at home, and when we can just listen to the cd.

i

is your daughter not hot and your wife not cool ?