View Full Version : Might want to turn on your favorite cable news network (plane about to crash land)

sppunk
09-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Jet readies for emergency landing at LAX

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A JetBlue airliner with landing gear problems circled the Los Angeles area for more than two hours Wednesday as the pilots dumped fuel over the ocean and officials tried to determine how to make an emergency landing.

The pilots discovered the plane's front wheels were turned sideways and stuck as they tried to retract the gear shortly after takeoff.

The back landing gear was also down as the plane circled, but it appeared to be in the correct position. Officials planned to try to land the aircraft, relying on the back wheels, at Los Angeles International Airport, which has longer runways than surrounding airports and more emergency equipment.

JetBlue Flight 292 left Burbank's Bob Hope Airport at 3:17 p.m. with 139 passengers headed for New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, said airline spokesman Bryan Baldwin.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Donn Walker said the Airbus A320 was dumping fuel over the Pacific to lighten the plane for an emergency landing.

"After leaving Burbank, pilots reported a landing gear indication light on, meaning there may be a problem or issue with the landing gear," Baldwin said. He said the crew decided to head for a nearby airport to attempt to land.

The plane first circled the Long Beach Airport, about 30 miles south of Burbank, then was cleared to land at Los Angeles, said LAX spokeswoman Nancy Castles.

JetBlue is based in Forest Hills, New York.

BeautifulLoser
09-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Watching it right now...

I love how all the news stations are making up shit, as usual, to make up for the time that it's not landing..

I thought Paula Zhan's head was going to explode earlier, when they started reporting on the tornado in Minnesota...

Nimrod's Son
09-21-2005, 09:09 PM
this is awesome

MusicMan4
09-21-2005, 09:14 PM
goddammit i thought you were on

someone make the custom title character limit lower

BeautifulLoser
09-21-2005, 09:14 PM
The suspense is terrible... I hope it lasts..

BeautifulLoser
09-21-2005, 09:15 PM
holy shit fire!!

BeautifulLoser
09-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Damn. That sucked.

In all seriousness, that was a fucking amazing landing..

Ugly
09-21-2005, 09:19 PM
woah.

MonteLDS
09-21-2005, 09:47 PM
what cool sparks

BeautifulLoser
09-21-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Ugly
woah.

ROFL, what is your sig from??

Ugly
09-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by BeautifulLoser

ROFL, what is your sig from??

comic called "Wha...Huh?" that was published by Marvel recently. basically kind of like a Mad Magazine issue, except with Marvel characters. The gag was "What if Wolverine Showed Up In Every Comic". So, Archie and the Gang = Wolverine slashing Reggie. I just thought the "Sweet Jesus, the Horror!" line was funny.

Junebug
09-21-2005, 10:32 PM
i could almost hear the dissapointment in larry king's voice when nothing happened.

was cool to watch, though.

dean moriaty
09-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by BeautifulLoser
The suspense is terrible... I hope it lasts..

thats my favourite bit.

severin
09-22-2005, 08:44 AM
the coolest thing about this is, that the people on board had live tv and saw everything until the last 30 minutes or so...