View Full Version : non-canadians: just curious if you know about Terry Fox

Voice Implodes
09-17-2005, 03:07 AM
i know they do the terry fox run all over the world, but do other countries really learn who he was or what he did?

Voice Implodes
09-17-2005, 03:08 AM
http://www.medcalf.ca/Pics/TerryFox.jpg

Fathoms (unadored)
09-17-2005, 03:09 AM
dude. your epidermis is showing! <RED EXES MAKE TOMMY A BLIND CHILD@1>

but in response to your question. I am curious as well. That man is a fucking legend.

Voice Implodes
09-17-2005, 03:13 AM
dude, i don;t even need to ask you. ;)

Voice Implodes
09-17-2005, 03:16 AM
that better? now you get beavis.

Fathoms (unadored)
09-17-2005, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Voice Implodes
that better? now you get beavis.

you ever look beavis up in the dictionary. fun times.

alisonmonster
09-17-2005, 10:35 AM
i'm watching terry fox on tv now- my friend is running in a 10 km race today in Ottawa in honor of him. The people i used to live with built memorials and monuments for a living and their biggest project they did was the huge Terri Fox monument that sits up in North Bay Ontario where he had to give up his run because the cancer had spread to his lungs.

I was just slightly too young to have seen him run but my parents got up very early to watch him when he passed through their town.

i read that he's known throughout the world but i never really believed it myself either.

severin
09-17-2005, 11:24 AM
who?

alisonmonster
09-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by severin
who?
In the early 80's Terry Fox lost his leg to cancer. He decided to run across canada from ocean to ocean to raise money for the Canadian Cancer Society. He ended up running aprox. one marathon a day on his prosthetic leg for somthing like a year or so. He ran through the most awful weather conditions- he never missed a day. When he got to Thunder Bay Ontario he had trouble breathing- the cancer had spread to his lungs. He died a few weeks later. Now every year there are Terry Fox runs throughout the world and in Canada, the money going towards funding for fighting cancer. So far- without corporate sponsership- the run has raised more than $360 million dollars over the years.
http://www.terryfoxrun.org/english/home/default.asp?s=1

severin
09-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by alisonmonster

In the early 80's Terry Fox lost his leg to cancer. He decided to run across canada from ocean to ocean to raise money for the Canadian Cancer Society. He ended up running aprox. one marathon a day on his prosthetic leg for somthing like a year or so. He ran through the most awful weather conditions- he never missed a day. When he got to Thunder Bay Ontario he had trouble breathing- the cancer had spread to his lungs. He died a few weeks later. Now every year there are Terry Fox runs throughout the world and in Canada, the money going towards funding for fighting cancer. So far- without corporate sponsership- the run has raised more than $360 million dollars over the years.
http://www.terryfoxrun.org/english/home/default.asp?s=1 now that's cool

Travis Meeks
09-17-2005, 12:34 PM
that's amazing. No I never heard of him but that is an incredible story.

alisonmonster
09-17-2005, 12:40 PM
yeah, its a good story- especially since when he first started running in newfoundland no one had really heard about him or paid much attention to what he was doing. It's a pretty big thing here every September and i feel bad about not participating in the run this year, considering i/everyone did all through kindergarten- highschool.

Fathoms (unadored)
09-17-2005, 01:25 PM
His grave is actually in this very modest graveyard about a block a way from my cousin's place. And there are lots of buildings around Coquitlam named after him (library, school) and such. Also there is a statue at the library...

I totally just sat on my ass all day yesterday too. I'm a year older than he was when he died. Kind of makes me feel like I should do something with my life.

There is also Rick Hanson who wheeled the circumfrance of the earth in 1985 on his wheelchair. There is this really steep ass hill in Coquitlam (the size of a small moutain) that he apparently wheeled himself up without assistance. Crazy.

Voice Implodes
09-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Jai Guru Deva
that's amazing. No I never heard of him but that is an incredible story. he's definately a national hero. he was raised about 15 minutes from where i live. i think fathoms lives there.
but yeah, i just always wondered if people outside of canada really knew who he was or what he did.

Voice Implodes
09-17-2005, 02:50 PM
this was his leg

http://images.google.ca/url?q=http://www.saturdaynight.ca/dynimages/TerryFoxHeader.gif

a marathon a day, with only one leg. incredible.

Voice Implodes
09-17-2005, 02:53 PM
http://www.swlauriersb.qc.ca/schools/terryfox/tf1.jpg

Voice Implodes
09-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by alisonmonster
It's a pretty big thing here every September and i feel bad about not participating in the run this year, considering i/everyone did all through kindergarten- highschool.
me too. by next year i will be in better shape, and maybe i will participate.

spring
09-17-2005, 04:46 PM
people from work are participating in one of these marathons today, and hopefully by this time next year i'll be in good enough shape to run too.

i think it's an amazing story and it's so inspiring. What makes me shiver though is that the son of one of my dad's best friends is pretty much going through the same thing - he had cancer in his leg, had it amputated at the beginning of this year, and now the cancer reappeared in his lungs. it's very scary to think that chances are he probably won't make it until next year. :(

RopeyLopey
09-17-2005, 06:32 PM
I've been to that place where he had given up.

I have also been to that statue by Thunder Bay. it's beautiful out there.

dean moriaty
09-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Jai Guru Deva
that's amazing. No I never heard of him but that is an incredible story.

Mayfuck
09-17-2005, 06:48 PM
pfft. i could do a marathon a day with a robotic leg, too

Deleted_User
09-17-2005, 06:49 PM
is he who that part of forrest gump is loosely based on? i would assume so.

Mayfuck
09-17-2005, 06:53 PM
no, people were running across countries way before this loser

Deleted_User
09-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
no, people were running across countries way before this loser i just mean, considering the cultural impact and the time period.

Voice Implodes
09-18-2005, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by refills 79 cents
i just mean, considering the cultural impact and the time period.

i never thought of that. maybe. but he was doing it for cancer research. and he was not retarded. :D

it may have stemmed from that though, now that i think of it, but i dont really think so.

RopeyLopey
09-18-2005, 01:00 PM
no, people were running across countries way before this loser when do you hit the road

Mayfuck
09-18-2005, 01:09 PM
lets talk about when do i hit your mom

RopeyLopey
09-18-2005, 01:16 PM
lets talk about when do i hit your mom want pics (of my mom)?