View Full Version : Ran across this story on MTV.com

Dead
09-15-2005, 02:10 AM
I think its from May 2005, has some SP related bits. Sorry if it's been posted. Make sure to check out the 2nd page also.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/m/music_geek/doublealbum_053005/index.jhtml

Dead
09-15-2005, 02:12 AM
If you want to cut straight to the SP:

Billy Corgan, meanwhile, stops short of calling the Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness a mistake, but he echoes Reznor's sentiments.

"Many fans of the Pumpkins prefer the second album [Siamese Dream] over the third, which is the double CD, and my feeling is, if you actually broke just one record out of the Mellon Collie album, that would be considered our best album," he said. "The second album is more cohesive, whereas the third is this prowling kind of mass of feelings."

What's Your Favorite Double Album?

Billy Corgan:
"Mine [Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness]. No, just kidding. Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix, because it's an incredible piece of work, top to bottom. The White Album by the Beatles is usually mentioned as a great double album, but it's a little bit scattered, like my album is. Of course theirs is better."

mourninglight
09-15-2005, 03:44 AM
http://www.mtv.com/bands/m/music_geek/doublealbum_053005/images/main.jpg
<font color=99CCFF>yellow bolly frightens me!

thanks for posting this. i didn't realize trent felt that way about the fragile.... as for mellon collie, its easily the best pumpkins album - maybe tied with siamese dream. i certainly hope bolly doesn't think it any kind of mistake</font>

talk show host
09-15-2005, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Dead
like my album is.

goddamnit, that faggot

TuralyonW3
09-15-2005, 03:48 AM
No, just kidding. Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix, because it's an incredible piece of work, top to bottom. The White Album by the Beatles is usually mentioned as a great double album, but it's a little bit scattered, like my album is. Of course theirs is better."

Heh, you KNOW he's not kidding. I agree though.;)

Dead
09-15-2005, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by mourninglight

<font color=99CCFF>as for mellon collie, its easily the best pumpkins album - maybe tied with siamese dream.</font>
I feel the same way.

Spaldz
09-15-2005, 06:03 AM

What's Your Favorite Double Album?

No, just kidding. Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix, because it's an incredible piece of work, top to bottom.

WTF. I have that album and it's only one cd. :( Bolly and his ultra 133+ 2 cd shit.

Radiofred
09-15-2005, 06:04 AM
Generally, Mellon Collie is the favourite album for fans of The Smashing Pumpkins while Siamese Dream is the favourite Smashing Pumpkins album for the masses.

ChristHimself!
09-15-2005, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Radiofred
Generally, Mellon Collie is the favourite album for fans of The Smashing Pumpkins while Siamese Dream is the favourite Smashing Pumpkins album for the masses.

You'd be surprised how many people around here prefer SD and go on about all the supposed 'filler' on mcis.

hendy
09-15-2005, 06:11 AM
mcis 'filler' > spaceboy & sweet sweet

Silver-bolt
09-15-2005, 07:01 AM
spaceboy is a nice song! i dont count that as a filler

ChristHimself!
09-15-2005, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by Silver-bolt
spaceboy is a nice song! i dont count that as a filler

he didn't actually call it filler, he just said that the songs people call filler on mcis (generally we only come out at night, lily, take me down etc) are better than spaceboy and sweet sweet.

I really like sweet sweet, I'm uber bored of spaceboy and cherub rock though, and have been for a LONG time.. they're good songs, I just outplayed them.

I'm Paul, I'm a mellon collie lover and I don't dislike any songs on it.

davin
09-15-2005, 07:04 AM

I feel the same way.

Same here.

davin
09-15-2005, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by talk show host

goddamnit, that faggot

Why do you say that? He's just saying that his album is scattered. :think:

Example
09-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Radiofred

I think the exact opposite is true.

neopryn
09-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by davin

Why do you say that? He's just saying that his album is scattered. :think: i'm guessing because he called it "my album"

morespsoon
09-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by neopryn
i'm guessing because he called it "my album"

I think it's because he compared MCIS to the White Album. I want an answer though! :p

marrs-guitar
09-15-2005, 10:03 AM
i'm surprised he didn't mention The Wall, i thought he loved that big time

TuralyonW3
09-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Spaldz

WTF. I have that album and it's only one cd. :( Bolly and his ultra 133+ 2 cd shit.

Long ago, before cds, there were these big black things called records, or albums, or LPs, that only held 40-50 minutes as opposed to a cd that holds 80

wHATcOLOR
09-15-2005, 02:08 PM
it really knocks my dick in the dirt:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Dead
09-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by ShotFullOfDiamonds

he didn't actually call it filler, he just said that the songs people call filler on mcis (generally we only come out at night, lily, take me down etc) are better than spaceboy and sweet sweet.
I'd like to meet the man who thinks Lily is filler. So I could whupp his ass. It's one of my favorite songs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mourninglight
09-15-2005, 04:33 PM

It's one of my favorite songs!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <font color=99CCFF>RIGHT ON!!</font>

seign
09-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Spaldz

CDs are longer than LPs. It was probably pressed on two records back in the day. Don't quote me though because I don't own the album either, just the cd.

And The Wall is the greatest double album of all time. Hands down.

transluscent
09-15-2005, 06:02 PM
it was.

and it now costs 25 bucks on a good day :mad:

davin
09-15-2005, 06:55 PM
In the 1996 guitar world magazine (the one with the megaman poster insert) Billy says his albums is more "all over the place" like the White Album, as opposed to centralized around a single theme like The Wall. He said he tried to maek the themes cohesive, but couldn't control the natural direction of his song-writing.

If the article wasn't like 9 pages, I would type it up...

Bust it out and re-read if you have it.

Dead
09-16-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by transluscent
it was.

and it now costs 25 bucks on a good day :mad:
I downloaded this shit like a year ago, haven't listened to it, but the txt file says "Total time .......... : 79:29" if that helps

talk show host
09-16-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by neopryn
i'm guessing because he called it "my album"

you are correct sir

TuralyonW3
09-16-2005, 01:55 AM

I downloaded this shit like a year ago, haven't listened to it, but the txt file says "Total time .......... : 79:29" if that helps

You haven't heard the wall?!:erm

marrs-guitar
09-16-2005, 07:56 PM
CDs have obscured have what were double albums anyway so albums like the hendrix one or dylan's blonde on blonde are not generally considered doubles anymore as their running time dips 80minutes, yet they were no doubt conceived as doubles as much as something like the wall

TriHell
09-17-2005, 08:17 AM
Even though SD is about half the length, I've had for a long time a hard time listening to the whole thing in a sitting. After Mayonnaise, the rest of the album, while excellent, just doesn't feel as pertinent to the feeling as a whole. While I suppose the same could be said about the songs after XYU on MC, it was just the opposite for me. I'd listen to the whole damn thing just to get to savor those last 5. In my opinion, the real expertise of MC was its individualization of every song, and yet a certain cohesion, which seems like a monster task of production, and I certainly applaud the album with my highest recomendation. I think given that only 1/4 of the songs Billy had written made it, and from what I understand, Flood had a large say in what songs were going on. I'm sure Billy still associates the time in which MC was recorded with the huge cadre of styles he was venturing into, and thus to him, the time probably feels scattered which influences his view of the album. Regardless of how people say TAFH songs are better than certain melon collie songs (and I agree), I believe that they would not have been better on MC (an endless debate, but I think I trust Flood just this once to have whiddled Billy's most massive creative streak to date, to a cohesive, and absolutely beautiful album).

MeAndMyLlama
09-17-2005, 08:21 AM
honestly mellon collie would be bulletproof to me if cupid de locke and take me down werent there. i like all the other songs

WalkingStrayz
09-17-2005, 01:00 PM
aint nothing wrong with cupid de locke

Dead
09-17-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by TuralyonW3

You haven't heard the wall?!:erm Thought we were talkin bout Jimi Hendrix!

Dead
09-17-2005, 01:16 PM
Flood rules, and I want him to work with SP2.

TuralyonW3
09-20-2005, 03:28 AM
Thought we were talkin bout Jimi Hendrix!

Well definitely check that out too.

croPUMPKINS
09-20-2005, 11:07 AM
IMO, the two best albums by the SP are MCIS and Adore

VoxUpDoc
09-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Cupid de Locke is one of the best tracks on MCIS.

My MCIS would go:

Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Tonight, Tonight
Thirty-three
In the Arms of Sleep
Muzzle
Where Boys Fear to Tried
Porcelina of the Vast Oceans
Beautiful
Lily
Thru the Eyes of Ruby
We Only Come Out At Night
Cupid de Locke
Galapogos
By Starlight
Farewell and Goodnight

Shakedown1979
09-22-2005, 02:31 AM
its crazy how billy is one of my musical heros, then the supreme of my heros is his favorite double album, greatness..

Dr Fager
09-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Wrong. MCIS was their mainstream triumph. If you asked joe blow pumpkin fan who likes the singles, MCIS will no doubt be considered their best album. The flipside, if you ask fans of the band that followed them from day one, the majority will prefer SD. Even a signifigant part of those diehards would cite Gish.

Dont forget Gish and SD are 12-14 years old respectively. Alot of fans from the 91-95 era have moved on and dont post on message boards or care about the band anymore in a meaningful way (please sapre me with the "not me" posts,as obviously im one of the few that keep in touch with the inner workings of the members after all these years).

The bottom line is there is generally a style gap amoungst most fans. Machina isnt Gish. SD is not Adore. Stylistically, inspirationally, intentions, executions were all drastically different. Me and my friends found the pumpkins in 92 with Gish. Im the ONLY one of the group that gave a shit about the band from Adore on. The second most of them heard the single Ava Adore they gave up on the band. (I probably should have too). But id bet those who liked Adore, could stomach Machina better then a Gish fan.

My point? Who the fuck knows... but i wouldnt take this message boards unofficial vote seriously, as the "masses" and "diehards" are gone. Nobody cares anymore. There is no "better" album. But the people that care to comment these days generally came along much further down the pike... they came along for the ride a third of the way through. Alot of indie fans LOVED gish but despised SD.

As far as Reznecks comments... they are valid. MC's brilliance is in its scope and intent...not in its execution or cohesiveness. Alot of the tracks could have used more time to iron out, but theyrushed through trying to get every idea to tape instead of perfecting things as they went. SD was a polished mammoth. Every idea was thoroughly exausted, wheras on MC they had to get parts down quick because they had to move on to other things. SD, the songs flowed from one to the next. Everything felt in its place. Both MC discs lost focus halfway through, and just became assembled messes. Half of the tracks would have been better of b-sides since they didnt really fit the whole. MC would have been best served if they picked the best 15 songs, labored on them to bring out the full potential of them...then realeased a mega Aeroplane box set so people could listen to "Take Me Down" "Beatiful" "Cupid" and the other filler that only killed then momentum of the other songs.