View Full Version : is / are

dean moriaty
09-11-2005, 04:18 PM
do you refer to bands in the singular or plural, i.e. i always refer to bands as a group of people so in the plural i.e nickleback <b>are</b> from canada. franz ferdinand <b>are</b> pretty dull but a lot of people on here use <b>is</b> instead. that kind of bugs me so i was wondering which you use...

Rockin' Cherub
09-11-2005, 04:25 PM
franz ferdinand is the name of a person so people are probably unconciously forced to use is.

Luke de Spa
09-11-2005, 04:35 PM
"Band" is a collective noun so if the band name doesn't describe a group of individuals (e.g. the Beatles, the Smashing Pumpkins), "is" should be an acceptable alternative to "are".

dean moriaty
09-11-2005, 04:47 PM
yeah i accept it's probably a reasonable alternative but it just seems wrong to me...

anyway you haven't told me which you use!

Luke de Spa
09-11-2005, 04:53 PM
I think it makes more sense to refer to bands like Franz Ferdinand or Radiohead with a collective "is", but I use "are" out of habit.

dean moriaty
09-11-2005, 05:07 PM
thats good by me man

Izzle
09-11-2005, 05:12 PM
i agree, this has always bugged me too. i always use "are" when describing bands. although i suppose LDS's logic makes enough sense.

this doesn't annoy me nearly as much, however, as people who say "could/would/should of" instead of could've/would've/should've". now that's poor.

dean moriaty
09-11-2005, 05:14 PM
i find this is / are thing the wording issue i get most worked up about, closely followed by people who say burn when they mean scold :mad:

Luke de Spa
09-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by dean moriaty
i find this is / are thing the wording issue i get most worked up about, closely followed by people who say burn when they mean scold :mad:
"Bored of" instead of "bored with" or "bored by"
"Less" instead of "fewer" (e.g. "There are less cars on the roads than earlier")

BUT MOST OF ALL
"Scold" instead of "scald".

Okay not really.

The difference between the above and this "is / are" thing is that the collective "is" isn't actually incorrect at all. You're just being inappropriately pedantic. http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon10.gif

dean moriaty
09-11-2005, 05:40 PM
goddamn i even know how to spell it. it was just a typo :(

wally
09-11-2005, 08:17 PM
I'm requesting this thread be moved to the "Grammar/Lexicon Forum".

dean moriaty
09-11-2005, 08:28 PM
i'll ignore that comment and compliment you on your avatar. i've had four pet praying manti, they're awesome. they've all been named after female cartoon characters except my first one who was called steve. my last two were peggy and betty :)

wally
09-11-2005, 08:30 PM
i'll ignore that comment and compliment you on your avatar. i've had four pet praying manti, they're awesome. they've all been named after female cartoon characters except my first one who was called steve. my last two were peggy and betty :)

it was the image of the day on wikipedia. usually my avatars suck raw ass, so I thought I'd put it up.

I love giving pets human names. I have a dog named Stewart.

Dead
09-11-2005, 08:33 PM
I think mostly I say are.

dean moriaty
09-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by wally

it was the image of the day on wikipedia. usually my avatars suck raw ass, so I thought I'd put it up.

I love giving pets human names. I have a dog named Stewart.

we had a cat called jack. my parents had him before i was born and i grew up with him. he lived until i was 20 and he was 21. i was <b>very</b> sad when he died :(

Luke de Spa
09-11-2005, 08:50 PM
i've had four pet praying manti ... my first one who was called steve.
Steve is pretty much the best pet name ever. For a while now I've considered getting a few pets and calling them all Steve. Sadly I haven't thought of any other good reasons to get pets right now, so it probably wouldn't be a sensible move. I mean, I'd get a lot of joy out of having five different pets all called Steve, but that's not really fair on the animals is it?

Ensoul
09-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I use "are" for bands (like Franz Ferdinand) and "is" for solo artists (Bob Dylan), obviously. isn't that how it's supposed to be?

dean moriaty
09-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Ensoul
I use "are" for bands (like Franz Ferdinand) and "is" for solo artists (Bob Dylan), obviously. isn't that how it's supposed to be?

as far as i'm concerned this is the correct way of doing things

Eulogy
09-11-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Ensoul

No. Lucky Day Spa is correct. Substitute "the band" for "Franz Ferdinand" and see what you get. "The band are..."

No. However, if the name of a band is a plural noun, then you would use "are."

It's really not complicated at all.

smashingjj
09-12-2005, 02:47 AM
i've always learned that you should use the plural for groups of people (whereas in Dutch, a <i>group</i> is one thing of itself). So, it's <i>the police are, Franz Ferdinand are, the band are</i>...

ChristHimself!
09-12-2005, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by smashingjj
i've always learned that you should use the plural for groups of people (whereas in Dutch, a <i>group</i> is one thing of itself). So, it's <i>the police are, Franz Ferdinand are, the band are</i>...

THIS MAN CAN'T EVEN SPEAK ENGLISH PROPERLY AND HE IS THE RIGHTEST

ChristHimself!
09-12-2005, 05:55 AM
*disclaimer: joeri speaks english better than me

smashingjj
09-12-2005, 06:07 AM
yeah that's why i showed up. Netphorians often need help with their English, it seems

tcm
09-12-2005, 06:21 AM
uh actually Lucky Day Spa is still the rightest. have a nice day.

ChristHimself!
09-12-2005, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by tcm
uh actually Lucky Day Spa is still the rightest. have a nice day.

FUCK UP CUNTFLAPS

HAVE A SHITE DAY

tcm
09-12-2005, 06:26 AM
good gracious!

Coen
09-12-2005, 06:58 AM

wtf

Rockin' Cherub
09-12-2005, 02:08 PM
my family are telling me the same.

smashingjj
09-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Rockin' Cherub

my family are telling me the same. maybe this is another difference thing between <i>proper</i> English and wrong...er, American English?

i mean i'm quite positive this is the correct way

tcm
09-12-2005, 02:56 PM
hey man, way to put silly Americans like Lucky Day Spa in their place! if Rockin' Cherub's family says it, it must be true!

Luke de Spa
09-12-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm not American.

"Are" is common colloquially BUT
"Is" actually makes good collective-singular-friendly sense.

If you think "Radiohead is a good band" sounds weird, it's not because it's mismatched grammar; it's because you're not used to hearing it.

Hear a dumb mix-up enough and you'll start to treat it like it's sensible. The Stereotypical American likes to say "I could care less" when he means "I couldn't care less" and yeah, I'm sure it could be intentional irony some of the time (maybe that's how it got started), but really I think people say it because everyone else knows what they really mean, so there's no need to think about what's actually being said.

Luke de Spa
09-12-2005, 03:17 PM
P.S. This has gone TOO FAR

ChristHimself!
09-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Lucky Day Spa
I'm not American.

Didn't you know? If you're not from europe you're american, and if you're from the uk you're obviously english.

Coen
09-12-2005, 03:24 PM
maybe this is another difference thing between <i>proper</i> English and wrong...er, American English?

i mean i'm quite positive this is the correct way

I'm quite positive it's not. And definitely not in dutch

SnicketyStar
09-12-2005, 03:37 PM
am i the only one who thought this thread was about a band called is/are? :erm i wouldn't be surprised if there was one, anyway.

smashingjj
09-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by SnicketyStar
am i the only one who thought this thread was about a band called is/are? :erm i wouldn't be surprised if there was one, anyway. uh HELLO? it is?

we were discussing the album titles. sheesh. :rolleyes:

<i>do you refer to bands in the singular or plural, i.e. i always refer to bands as a group of people so in the plural i.e nickleback are from canada. franz ferdinand are pretty dull but a lot of people on here use is instead. that kind of bugs me so i was wondering which you use...</i> is a FANTASTIC is/are album.

SnicketyStar
09-12-2005, 03:44 PM
damn you hipster kids and your wordy rock and roll!

;)

Luke de Spa
09-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by ShotFullOfDiamonds

Didn't you know? If you're not from europe you're american, and if you're from the uk you're obviously english.
Oh right. That reminds me. About British passports. Are they changing them to some weird biometric spy-on-you got-your-DNA-in-a-vault-with-your-retinal-scans thing in a couple of months? I'd better get my arse into gear and apply for one before that happens.

rubber
09-12-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm sure most of you have heard of the Canadian band "Our Lady Peace".... anyway, a HUGE peeve of mine for some reason is the fact that most radio broadcasters I hear say, "are Lady Peace" (R lady peace). It's OUR, rhymes with hour.... OUR Lady Peace. I hate the band anyway but people in radio should know how to pronounce things. Great green monkey....

Fonzie
09-12-2005, 07:55 PM

Oh right. That reminds me. About British passports. Are they changing them to some weird biometric spy-on-you got-your-DNA-in-a-vault-with-your-retinal-scans thing in a couple of months? I'd better get my arse into gear and apply for one before that happens.

I just spent the last 3 days in wellington getting the wife made into an official Brit. x Hundred dollars later, 5 minutes wth a big bloke in a suit, cup of tea and some bickies, and it was all over.

I was uncomfortable about all the fucking politicians about the place. Pete Hodgeson and Phil Goff at the airport. Nameless ones on Lampton Quay (inc. Marion Hobbs, I think). Bundles of sad losers all handing out balloons in team colours.

Uh, politics annoy me. Especially at the moment.

dean moriaty
09-12-2005, 08:00 PM
she's a brit!!! are you one too? will you be coming to britain soon. would you like to get drunk if you do :)

tcm
09-12-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by rubber
I'm sure most of you have heard of the Canadian band "Our Lady Peace".... anyway, a HUGE peeve of mine for some reason is the fact that most radio broadcasters I hear say, "are Lady Peace" (R lady peace). It's OUR, rhymes with hour.... OUR Lady Peace. I hate the band anyway but people in radio should know how to pronounce things. Great green monkey....
funny, Merriam-Webster (http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=our) lists the "are" pronunciation first. i figured it'd be there, but not as the primary pronunciation! in any case, you're nuts.

Fonzie
09-12-2005, 10:54 PM
she's a brit!!! are you one too? will you be coming to britain soon. would you like to get drunk if you do :)

She's a brit now!

Thanks to her scottish mother.

I'm never going to be a real brit - my relatives moved out here too early.

Yeah, next time I'm in the vicinity I'll attempt to hunt you down and torture you with my siva cassingle while you buy me the king of British beers, Fosters.

edit - there's a teensy tiny chance I may make it to London next year - but it'd only be for a week at most, I'd fathom.

Luke de Spa
09-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Fonzie

I just spent the last 3 days in wellington getting the wife made into an official Brit. x Hundred dollars later, 5 minutes wth a big bloke in a suit, cup of tea and some bickies, and it was all over.
Oh, is there some stupid meet-the-High-Commission thing you have to go through? I was hoping I'd be able to do the whole thing via the post.

The bastard about the whole thing is that I was born a few months before the U.K. changed their citizenship legislation, so I have to register as a British citizen before I can apply for a passport (if I were a little younger I'd have it automatically). I can only imagine that this will ramp up the cost, which is a bastard. Those biscuits better be pretty fucking tasty.

I was uncomfortable about all the fucking politicians about the place. Pete Hodgeson and Phil Goff at the airport. Nameless ones on Lampton Quay (inc. Marion Hobbs, I think). Bundles of sad losers all handing out balloons in team colours.

Uh, politics annoy me. Especially at the moment.
Yeah, I'm so over this election, like, totally y'know? Let's go to the mall.

Fonzie
09-12-2005, 11:06 PM

Oh, is there some stupid meet-the-High-Commission thing you have to go through? I was hoping I'd be able to do the whole thing via the post.

The bastard about the whole thing is that I was born a few months before the U.K. changed their citizenship legislation, so I have to register as a British citizen before I can apply for a passport (if I were a little younger I'd have it automatically). I can only imagine that this will ramp up the cost, which is a bastard. Those biscuits better be pretty fucking tasty.

Yeah, I'm so over this election, like, totally y'know? Let's go to the mall.

If you have to do the registration thing, then you may have to go through te rigmarole we went through - what sucks is some friends of mine did it about 18 months ago and they used to just send the whole lot of guff out to you./ Now, thanks to Jack Straw, who wants every new brit to feel they 'belong', it now means you have to take an oath at the High commission.

I haven't seen security at a place in NZ as tough as there, too. It really is like a little Britian.

Wouldn't help much if the mujahadeen decided to fire a roclet ober the fence though.

dean moriaty
09-12-2005, 11:06 PM

She's a brit now!

Thanks to her scottish mother.

I'm never going to be a real brit - my relatives moved out here too early.

Yeah, next time I'm in the vicinity I'll attempt to hunt you down and torture you with my siva cassingle while you buy me the king of British beers, Fosters.

edit - there's a teensy tiny chance I may make it to London next year - but it'd only be for a week at most, I'd fathom.

yeah let me know if you're ever coming over, we shall drink many beers :)

Fonzie
09-12-2005, 11:07 PM
roclet ober

good one, Fonz.

ROCKET OVER.

Fonzie
09-12-2005, 11:08 PM

yeah let me know if you're ever coming over, we shall drink many beers :)

Ay, I will.

Luke de Spa
09-12-2005, 11:24 PM

If you have to do the registration thing, then you may have to go through te rigmarole we went through - what sucks is some friends of mine did it about 18 months ago and they used to just send the whole lot of guff out to you./ Now, thanks to Jack Straw, who wants every new brit to feel they 'belong', it now means you have to take an oath at the High commission.

I haven't seen security at a place in NZ as tough as there, too. It really is like a little Britian.

Wouldn't help much if the mujahadeen decided to fire a roclet ober the fence though.
Ah, well that's going to suck then. Thankfully I can just walk to the High Commission from work. :)

I thought that oath-swearing shit was just for people born in non-Commonwealth nations? I don't really want to swear fealty to anyone.

Fonzie
09-13-2005, 12:05 AM

Ah, well that's going to suck then. Thankfully I can just walk to the High Commission from work. :)

I thought that oath-swearing shit was just for people born in non-Commonwealth nations? I don't really want to swear fealty to anyone.

You get a choice.

OATH
or
AFFIRMATION.

The biscuits weren't bad.

dean moriaty
09-13-2005, 12:25 AM

The biscuits weren't bad.

i hope if you call them cookies they won't give you a passport