View Full Version : i wish godspeed you black emperor were still around

disslunker
09-09-2005, 05:02 AM
lift yr skinny fists like antennas to heaven is one of the best albums in history!!

hendy
09-09-2005, 05:38 AM
They'll be back, just you wait.

And Motherfucker=Redeemer owns everything.

dean moriaty
09-09-2005, 10:32 AM
i wish they were too

smashingjj
09-09-2005, 10:44 AM
best postrock band ever

sweetmusk
09-09-2005, 12:29 PM
i think they pretty much ran their course. i didnt like the last album very much either.

Fathoms (unadored)
09-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by sweetmusk
i think they pretty much ran their course. i didnt like the last album very much either.

It was a subpar effort, but I'd still really like to see them put out a few more albums. Yanqui U.X.O is one of those albums that I'd probably like more if it were the first Godspeed I'd heard. I guess I just like the idea of bands like them being around. I think they do the post-rock thing as good or better than anyone else.

wHATcOLOR
09-09-2005, 01:12 PM
go suck on a dick!!

MercuryChild
09-09-2005, 06:42 PM
They should drop A silver Mt. Zion and bring back Godspeed :(

ravenguy2000
09-09-2005, 06:43 PM
they hurt my ears.

Aeris Hilton
09-09-2005, 08:31 PM
yanqui u.x.o. is better than skinny fists

Mayfuck
09-09-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Sean Casey
yanqui u.x.o. is better than skinny fists

Haha.

Ha.

Haha.

Aeris Hilton
09-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck

Haha.

Ha.

Haha.

ryan patrick would agree with me but he doesnt like godspeed so its meaningless

hendy
09-09-2005, 09:09 PM
From the Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godspeed_You_Black_Emperor):

The band have often played an unrecorded song entitled "Albanian" when touring. Efrim has said that when the band reform they will record it for their next release. Another unreleased song, "Gamelan," may also be recorded.

So, they'll be back. Albanian is a good song too.

Pinnacle
09-09-2005, 09:13 PM
I just wish they would release "All Lights Fucked On The Hairy Amp Drooling" in some form.

all lights fucked on the hairy amp drooling
released on cassette in 1994 in a limited quantity of 33

side a

drifting intro open
shot thru tubes
three three three
when all the furnaces exploded
beep
hush
son of a diplomat, daughter of a politician
glencairn 14
$13.13
loose the idiot dogs
diminishing shine
random luvly moncton blue(s)
13. dadmomdaddy
side b

333 frames per second
revisionist alternatif wounds to the hair-cut hit head
ditty for moya
buried ton
and the hairy guts shine
hoarding
deterior 23
all angels gone
deterior 17
deterior three
devil's in the church
no job
dress like shit
perfumed pink corpses from the lips of ms. celine dion

the only document of early godspeed - a self-released cassette limited to 33 copies.

I liked Yanqui U.X.O. but I really miss the spoken word tracks on their earlier albums.

distance
09-09-2005, 11:44 PM
i'm looking forward to another tour so i can go to a bunch more shows.

disslunker
09-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Yanqui U.X.O. is definitely their least interesting album. I too missed all of the sonic madness / found sound not on that album.

I love Albanian and Gamelan.

I guess if they never make another album it just adds to that kind of mystery that surrounds them and their music - which is what i love.

i just would die to see them live.

D.
09-10-2005, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Pinnacle
"All Lights Fucked On The Hairy Amp Drooling"
Worst. Album. Title. Ever.

Starchildren
09-10-2005, 01:54 AM
when the vinyl copy of F# A# Infinity ends on side two, the looping groove scares the fuck out of me.

i fell asleep listening to the record after smoking a bowl, and woke up 3 hours later, out of a nightmare, with the loop still going. sucked.

Pinnacle
09-10-2005, 02:06 AM
Here is a recent interview with Efrim and Ian.

http://www.sickamongthepure.com/files/2005/05/08_silver/silver.html

I'm Hardcore
09-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by smashingjj
best postrock band ever

talk show host
09-11-2005, 05:43 AM
I got into Godspeed when a friend and I listened to Yanqui U.X.O while hungover on holiday. I thought it was absolutely incredible, though after I finally got into their other albums, I kinda decided Yanqui was pretty subpar (as someone mentioned earlier I think) compared to the rest of their stuff.

Lift Yr Skinny Fists... is one of the best albums I've ever heard, so another effort from them would be fuckin great. I'll keep my fingers corssed I guess.

Rockin' Cherub
09-11-2005, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Starchildren
when the vinyl copy of F# A# Infinity ends on side two, the looping groove scares the fuck out of me.

i fell asleep listening to the record after smoking a bowl, and woke up 3 hours later, out of a nightmare, with the loop still going. sucked.
hence the album title

hupette gros
09-11-2005, 02:09 PM
from all the artists i know, godspeed must be my favorite

hupette gros

hupette gros

hupette gros

smashingjj
09-11-2005, 02:21 PM
holy shit we got the message!

hendy
09-11-2005, 07:17 PM
holy shit we got the message!

Go easy on him, he's Canadian.

2Marlon2Brando
09-12-2005, 01:05 AM
best postrock band ever

what is explosions in the sky

Mayfuck
09-12-2005, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by 2Marlon2Brando

what is explosions in the sky

It's kind of funny how you worship this band. I mean they are briefly enjoyable if not derivative and utterly forgettable. But it is funny that you think they are god's gift to music. Cute, even. EITS to GYBE is like the difference between looking at a two dimensional picture of the grand canyon and then actually being there

talk show host
09-12-2005, 02:01 AM

It's kind of funny how you worship this band. I mean they are briefly enjoyable if not derivative and utterly forgettable. But it is funny that you think they are god's gift to music. Cute, even. EITS to GYBE is like the difference between looking at a two dimensional picture of the grand canyon and then actually being there

It's pretty impossible to compare the two bands. Aside from a lack of vocals, I've never thought there were that many similarities between them. I do like both of them, but Godspeed far more so then Explosions.

MMBKG
09-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Yanqui is a really good album, in its own way. I wish all the melodies weren't so buried in the shitty mixing. :/

Like honestly I put it on last night and it's so beautiful. These kids just know how to write good music.

Lift is of course incredible, and Slow Riot is fantastic, moreso for BBB3 than Moya imo.

I haven't heard F#A#infinity yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Rockin' Cherub
09-12-2005, 01:50 PM
lift yr skinny fists is better than anything eits have ever done (well i haven't heard that soundtrack thing they did) but twtttsdtwtttslf is still incredible.

talk show host
09-13-2005, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by MMBKG

I haven't heard F#A#infinity yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

You're in for a serious treat, that album owns

Nimrod's Son
09-13-2005, 02:17 AM
i nominate GY!BE or GYBE! or whatever they choose to be called as the most overrated pretentious band ever that people like because it makes them feel indie and smart

I'm Hardcore
09-13-2005, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
i nominate GY!BE or GYBE! or whatever they choose to be called as the most overrated pretentious band ever that people like because it makes them feel indie and smart

it sure does, i mean, i dont listen to them because they're fucking awesome or anything like that

I'm Hardcore
09-13-2005, 02:31 AM
and btw, you cant feel indie, you dont feel independent. its not like this "emo" shit, you cant be indie.

talk show host
09-13-2005, 02:39 AM

Which of their albums have you heard to make you say a thing like that?

Fathoms (unadored)
09-13-2005, 02:57 AM

I love how cynicism always draws rather heavily into the critique of a band. Like, such and such sucks because the people that like them fit into some sort of stereotypical catagory of music fan.

I like GYBE because it makes me feel like I'm listening to a really good band.

Nimrod's Son
09-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by talk show host

Which of their albums have you heard to make you say a thing like that? all of them

i was subjected against my will

"ooooh, 10 minute songs of random noises, we're sooo different"

Rockin' Cherub
09-13-2005, 11:25 AM

what

sweetmusk
09-13-2005, 11:56 AM
all of them

i was subjected against my will

stop that, you sound like an idiot.

Porcel
09-13-2005, 10:33 PM
GYBE is more technical and original but it loses its fun after the 2nd listen. Skinny Fists is a masterpiece but I never listen to it anymore...that being said, I listen to EITS very often. Their first effort, EINACDP, is rather redundant but TWTTTSD was much better and their latest How Strange, Innocense is by far their best yet...the way things are continuing with EITS their upcoming album should be tremendous, we shall see.

Mayfuck
09-13-2005, 11:17 PM
Yeah Nimrod, I would just advise you to stay off the music board. This isn't the political board or the general chat. You aren't provoking anyone here. Just making yourself look dumb.

2Marlon2Brando
09-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Porcel
Their first effort, EINACDP, is rather redundant but TWTTTSD was much better and their latest How Strange, Innocense is by far their best yet...

what

kiwi
09-13-2005, 11:23 PM
this thread just got better as it went on

Porcel
09-13-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by 2Marlon2Brando

what

what i'm wrong or you just need clarification?

EINACDP=Earth is not a cold dead place, their first album
TWTTTSD=Those who tell the truth shall die, their second album
How Strange, Innocense=their third release, an LP

#3>#2>#1

talk show host
09-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Porcel

what i'm wrong or you just need clarification?

EINACDP=Earth is not a cold dead place, their first album
TWTTTSD=Those who tell the truth shall die, their second album
How Strange, Innocense=their third release, an LP

#3>#2>#1

You're wrong.

How Strange... was their first EP, then came Those Who Tell...., and then The Earth is not a cold dead place. How strange has since been reissued.

What's funny is that by your standard, Explosions in the sky are steadily getting worse.

Porcel
09-13-2005, 11:40 PM
Wow your right, now I feel silly...stay away from EITS sry bout that. The How Strange reissuement threw me, but the cd mix up is unexcusable

disslunker
09-14-2005, 02:26 AM

lol

thats not what gybe is at all. yes, they incorporate noise and found sound into their songs/albums, but at the core are outstanding solid arrangements.

i believe that live they dont even use found sound/pre-recorded material?? at least all of the live stuff i've heard.

they're an amazing collective of very talented musicians any way you look at them. If they weren't 'art rock' or whatever, you'd probably just think they were some symphony of classically trained professionals.

It's pretty ridiculous to dismiss them based on what you think their fans are like. But then again, if you've heard them and still dismiss them as pretentious arty crap..(shrug) maybe you are just retarded.

kiwi
09-14-2005, 03:11 AM
nimrod likes cute little 4 minute songs that go verse chorus verse chorus verse

ignore him

talk show host
09-14-2005, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by kiwi
nimrod likes cute little boys

fixed

Ihaman
09-15-2005, 02:59 AM
lol @ one of the dumbest things nimrod has ever said.

Ihaman
09-15-2005, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by talk show host

It's pretty impossible to compare the two bands. Aside from a lack of vocals, I've never thought there were that many similarities between them. I do like both of them, but Godspeed far more so then Explosions.

No way, EITS has shorter less progressive songs, they portray the same exact mood as GY!BE...hell they even take samples of people saying intrinsic stuff, the only difference is GY!BE is better at what they do, they have a logical progression in their music as opposed to pop-melodic progression.
I think they officially became comparable after the Friday Night Lights soundtrack when they got a string section and basically made less captivating GY!BE songs.

kiwi
09-15-2005, 04:00 AM
But GYBE never get as heavy as EITS, and are far less guitar based, in my opinion.

I think they're comparable but only on the same level that eits, gybe and mogwai are comparable - as largely instrumental acts

Nimrod's Son
09-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah Nimrod, I would just advise you to stay off the music board. This isn't the political board or the general chat. You aren't provoking anyone here. Just making yourself look dumb. yeah, we should all lockstep and suck the dick of the indie darlings. you're not allowed to dislike anything pitchfork loves!

Crono
09-15-2005, 10:28 AM
yeah, we should all lockstep and suck the dick of the indie darlings. you're not allowed to dislike anything pitchfork loves!

Not only is this a typical and bland comment, but it's not really applicable to Mayfuck or the majority of the "indie" kids on this board.

You seem to be forgetting that you don't know what GYBE's music sounds like.

Nimrod's Son
09-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Crono

Not only is this a typical and bland comment, but it's not really applicable to Mayfuck or the majority of the "indie" kids on this board.

You seem to be forgetting that you don't know what GYBE's music sounds like.
Aw, sorry it's too "typical and bland" for you, baby.

I was subjected to their music through an ex. Two actually. One constantly.

So yes I am familiar with their crappy music. I love the vitrol here, I make a comment about how I don't like them and people react like "OMG you r trollings!!!" and "You nevar listen to them!!!!"

sweetmusk
09-15-2005, 01:53 PM

"OMG you r trollings!!!" and "You nevar listen to them!!!!"

hey i said you sounded like an idiot. which you totally did. your criticism was not very intelligent.

Mayfuck
09-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by kiwi
nimrod likes cute little 4 minute songs that go verse chorus verse chorus verse

ignore him

^That's like a bizarro nimrod post itself. I and plenty of people here into good music like those kinds of songs too you idiot. Stop posting.

ProgressChrome
09-15-2005, 05:23 PM
a silver mt zion are great!

comparable to GYBE in my mind.

i also saw them live recently and it was mindblowing!

ProgressChrome
09-15-2005, 05:23 PM
i've seen godspeed live too and a silver mt zion put on a better show in my opinion

Crono
09-16-2005, 01:37 AM

So yes I am familiar with their crappy music. I love the vitrol here, I make a comment about how I don't like them and people react like "OMG you r trollings!!!" and "You nevar listen to them!!!!"

If you've heard their music, then you shouldn't have made such a broad comment in the first place. You're digging for the vitrol, not stating an opinion. Normally you're more witty about these things, Nimrod.

ryan patrick
09-16-2005, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Sean Casey

ryan patrick would agree with me but he doesnt like godspeed so its meaningless

hey

yeah i don't like lift yr skinny fists

i like f#a# infinity though

ryan patrick
09-16-2005, 03:31 AM

It's kind of funny how you worship this band. I mean they are briefly enjoyable if not derivative and utterly forgettable. But it is funny that you think they are god's gift to music. Cute, even.

word

disslunker
09-16-2005, 03:51 AM

If you had actually paid attention, you would know their songs are not comprised of random noises. I think this is where most people decided that you don't really know what you are talking about.

I also like that you can't just say you don't like them, you also have to insult everyone who does. weird

kiwi
09-16-2005, 03:55 AM

^That's like a bizarro nimrod post itself. I and plenty of people here into good music like those kinds of songs too you idiot. Stop posting.
uh

insert 'only' between the words 'nimrod' and 'likes'

perhaps the answer clearer to you will become

hendy
09-17-2005, 07:41 AM
While we're on the subject of postrock, here's a choice cut from kiwi postrockers Jakob (http://www.jakob.co.nz/):

Nice Day for an Earthquake (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0158R5AD)

They're going on tour (http://nzmusic.com/news_more.cfm?i=3134) later this month to Aussie and the UK. I definitely recommend going to see them if you can.

hendy
11-27-2005, 02:16 AM
According to the gybe Yahoo! group, Godspeed is back in the studio. Apparently, it's down to five members, not including Efrim or Moya.

Mayfuck
11-27-2005, 05:34 AM
God NImrod is sucha fucking caveman.

disslunker
11-27-2005, 02:59 PM

Ihaman
11-28-2005, 03:21 AM

disslunker
11-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by hendy
According to the gybe Yahoo! group, Godspeed is back in the studio. Apparently, it's down to five members, not including Efrim or Moya.

I was totally excited about this.....but....no efrim or moya?? wtf
arent they like, the core of the band