View Full Version : mark kozelek records modest mouse cover album

neopryn
09-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Usually, if you're going to do an album of covers, they're going to be standards-- Elvis, the Beatles, Sinatra, etc. Besides, it's not too often that someone releases an album comprised entirely of songs written by another artist, let alone an artist that has been music for less time than you have. According to Billboard.com, Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon frontman Mark Kozelek is preparing an album of Modest Mouse covers. Although Kozelek won't be the first to cover Modest Mouse (Kidz Bop and Ben Lee beat you to it, Mark), he'll certainly be the first to release a full disc of 'em.

Kozelek seems to have a knack for fucking around with other people's work. In 2001, he released What's Next to the Moon, a collection of AC/DC covers. You'd think all this covering was a case of lazy songwriting, but Kozelek completely rearranges the songs, often leaving the lyrics as the only recognizable trace.

The Modest Mouse disc, titled Tiny Cities will be the first release on Kozelek’s own Caldo Verde label, and it will be attributed to Sun Kil Moon. The songs have been selected from all over the Modest Mouse catalogue, including 2004's Good News For People Who Love Bad News.< Billboard says that the slowcore god “injects a sense of optimism into ‘Neverending Math Equation’ and strips the modern rock hit ‘Ocean Breathes Salty’ down to its inherent bittersweet reflections on past and present.”

The album is due November 1 in North America, and will be released internationally by Rough Trade. Also, Cameron Crowe's Vinyl Films will handle-- you guessed it!-- the vinyl version, which will ******* an alternate version of "Exit Does Not Exist." You might wonder what the indie rocker and the Almost Famous writer/director have to do with each other. Well, Kozelek played the bassist in that movie's fictional band, Stillwater, and several of his songs have appeared on Crowe soundtracks.

We wanted to reach Isaac Brock for comment, but we're scared of him. Tracklist:

01 Exit Does Not Exist
02 Tiny Cities Made of Ashes
03 Neverending Math Equation
04 Space Travel Is Boring
05 Dramamine
06 Jesus Christ Was an Only Child
07 Four Fingered Fisherman
08 Grey Ice Water
09 Convenient Parking
10 Trucker's Atlas
11 Ocean Breathes Salty

i'm all over this shit

killed radio star
09-07-2005, 09:57 PM
where's talkin shit :(

bitey's ghost
09-07-2005, 09:57 PM
What a concept, someone who sucks covering someone else's songs that suck.

neopryn
09-07-2005, 10:04 PM
thanks for that!

Oblivious
09-07-2005, 10:53 PM
there's also a bluegrass album that came out last year that is a tribute to modest mouse. it doesn't have as good a track list as this mark kozelek one though.

neopryn
09-07-2005, 11:15 PM
i've never heard four fingered fisherman. what's that?

disslunker
09-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Oblivious
there's also a bluegrass album that came out last year that is a tribute to modest mouse. it doesn't have as good a track list as this mark kozelek one though.

i would love to hear this!

wHATcOLOR
09-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by disslunker

why don't you just go suck some guy's cock instead

Oblivious
09-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by disslunker

it's called pickin' on modest mouse.

track list:

1. Ocean Breathes Salty
2. 3rd Planet
3. Polar Opposites
4. Float On
5. Gravity Rides Everything
6. A Different City
7. Dark Center Of The Universe
8. Interstate 8
9. World At Large
10. Trailer Trash

neopryn - four fingered fisherman is on sad sappy sucker.

I OnlyLikeJerks
09-08-2005, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by bitey's ghost
What a concept, someone who sucks covering someone else's songs that suck.

i like you

I OnlyLikeJerks
09-08-2005, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Jerome

why don't you just go suck some guy's cock instead

LOL i like you too

neopryn
09-08-2005, 11:53 AM
hey oblivious pitchfork edited their article and said someone wrote in to tell them about the bluegrass album. was that you?

Shapan
09-08-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by neopryn
i've never heard four fingered fisherman. what's that?

four fingered fisherman is a track off an EP of theirs and their worst album, sad sappy sucker. its their worst only because half of it are filler songs that isaac fucked around with and recorded on his answering machine as a joke.

there are 10 great songs on there, and the other 14 are filler songs that dont hit 80 seconds. hell, 9 of them are 30 seconds and under.

if u wanna hear the album without the clutter, listen to mice eat cheese, dukes up, path of least resistance, secret angent x-9, four fingered fisherman, race car grin you ain't not landmark, think long, worms vs birds, from point a to point b(sounds funny in the beginning but ends up a cool song), and every penny fedcat.

thats a decent tracklisting of modest mouse songs to cover, id replace ocean breathes salty, exit, and space travel, but it would be impossible for me to only pick 11 essential songs to cover.

Rockin' Cherub
09-08-2005, 02:09 PM
that's pretty wicked. i think i'll buy that.

mirrar
09-08-2005, 03:44 PM
well fuck. nice nice.

Oblivious
09-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by neopryn
hey oblivious pitchfork edited their article and said someone wrote in to tell them about the bluegrass album. was that you?

no.

spring
09-08-2005, 09:41 PM
the bluegrass thing....

http://www.cmhrecords.com/web/page.asp?pgs=product&id=613

Oblivious
09-08-2005, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by spring
the bluegrass thing....

that cover of dark center of the universe is :rofl:

bardy
09-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by spring
the bluegrass thing....

the clip labeling is all messed up on that page... but the version of Float On is actually kinda cool.

spa ced
09-09-2005, 12:59 AM
i'm most excited to hear mark's cover of grey ice water. that song is so under-appreciated.

Oblivious
09-09-2005, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by spa ced
i'm most excited to hear mark's cover of grey ice water. that song is so under-appreciated.

it's my favorite song on building nothing...

celluloid_love
09-09-2005, 01:37 AM
Can someone PLEASE tell me why Mark Kozelek is constantly referred to as a 'slowcore god'?

I'm Hardcore
09-09-2005, 02:05 AM
Mark Kozelek has one of the voices i've heard.

the fuckin Red House Painters rule

I'm Hardcore
09-09-2005, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by celluloid_love
Can someone PLEASE tell me why Mark Kozelek is constantly referred to as a 'slowcore god'?

no, that would be Neil Halstead

tcm
09-09-2005, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by I'm Hardcore
Mark Kozelek has one of the voices i've heard.
ditto.

I'm Hardcore
09-09-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by tcm

ditto.

haha fuck you :) im not gonna bother editing that

celluloid_love
09-09-2005, 11:25 AM
bahaha

now someone answer my question :/

neopryn
09-09-2005, 02:34 PM
because his songs are slow

Rockin' Cherub
09-10-2005, 12:20 PM
not slowcore though. to me, slowcore are bands trying to sound like the third vu album. which is not necessarily a bad thing.

spa ced
09-10-2005, 01:09 PM
when i think of slowcore i think of codeine and bedhead.