View Full Version : THE REAL THEAD: concerts where you wear headphones

pink_ribbon_scars
09-02-2005, 03:43 PM
Read the article if you care because I only pulled out a few snippets. It's a cool idea but I don't think I'd be that interested in it, because I just enjoy the way concerts are now, even if clanking beer bottles and chatting can get annoying. Once I went to a silent dance party outside at the Museum of Contemporary Art, where there was a DJ and everyone had wireless headphones, but it seemed to kinda kill the cool vibe, in my opinion.

http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,68682,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2

"SAN FRANCISCO -- In an old warehouse-turned-art-music-commune in the city's gritty Mission district, a small post-hippie tech-punk crowd is taking in the Plug music festival. They're sprawled out on couches and chairs, surrounded by a phalanx of consoles, cables and gutted computers, and listening, intently and quietly, through headphones glued to their ears.

More than just a gimmick, the format of in-person performances experienced through headphones appeals to a certain type of performer, one inspired by intimacy and a you're-either-listening-or-you're-not audience. At a headphone concert, there's no shouting over uninterested listeners' conversations.

Listeners were able to congregate from all over the globe in le placard's IRC channel to talk with fellow headphoners witnessing the performances in person at the warehouse. The feed even had a local pirate radio broadcast on 104.1 FM."

sleeper
09-02-2005, 04:09 PM
honestly, i had this idea years ago. one similar to it at least. i thought of giving the audience headphones and then, either to the audiences knowledge or not, having the sound come to the headphones delayed at different intervals for sets of people. in other words, ten headphones in sync, ten off a set amount, and etc. this would just exclusively be a means of screwing with, or exploring, this idea of "energy" that people always talk about in concerts. is that energy a kind of collective tuning in to the same wavelength at the same time, with the whole room together steering the ship? hitler, who was a phenomenal public speaker who could incite his crowds to absolute pandemonium, often talked about how, at his best, he, the individual, wasnt doing anything at all, that he was just a mouthpiece for the mass of people, that they suggested to him the words. the idea of creating that energy is incredible fascinating and even more fascinating is the idea of slightly tweaking one or two little facets of it, like time. what kind of shared consciousness would arise if people were detached from sharing the same moment? you could argue that this is already the case with concerts in huge stadiums, where it actually takes sound a noticeable amount of time to travel to your seat if your at the far rear, but i think thats an entirely different dynamic

Nimrod's Son
09-02-2005, 04:57 PM
I heard about this. It's pretty stupid.

soniclovenoize
09-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Hmmmm... sounds kinda like The Flaming Lips' headphones tours...

disslunker
09-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by soniclovenoize

yeah this has been done before by the flaming lips

Aeris Hilton
09-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by disslunker

yeah this has been done before by the flaming lips

thanks for repeating exactly what jesse miller just said, queer

severin
09-05-2005, 08:10 AM
happened in vienna about a year ago for the first time. only it wasn't really a concert. there was a glass-room pretty mcuh in the middle of the street where some guy was making electronic musik and the people outside the glass room were given wireless headphones and listened to the stuff

Deleted_User
09-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by sleeper
honestly, i had this idea years ago. one similar to it at least. i thought of giving the audience headphones and then, either to the audiences knowledge or not, having the sound come to the headphones delayed at different intervals for sets of people. in other words, ten headphones in sync, ten off a set amount, and etc. this would just exclusively be a means of screwing with, or exploring, this idea of "energy" that people always talk about in concerts. is that energy a kind of collective tuning in to the same wavelength at the same time, with the whole room together steering the ship? hitler, who was a phenomenal public speaker who could incite his crowds to absolute pandemonium, often talked about how, at his best, he, the individual, wasnt doing anything at all, that he was just a mouthpiece for the mass of people, that they suggested to him the words. the idea of creating that energy is incredible fascinating and even more fascinating is the idea of slightly tweaking one or two little facets of it, like time. what kind of shared consciousness would arise if people were detached from sharing the same moment? you could argue that this is already the case with concerts in huge stadiums, where it actually takes sound a noticeable amount of time to travel to your seat if your at the far rear, but i think thats an entirely different dynamic that's pretty interesting.

Rockin' Cherub
09-05-2005, 01:14 PM
it really is. i love the idea.

sleeper
09-05-2005, 01:32 PM
everyones going to jack my idea now

dean moriaty
09-05-2005, 02:10 PM
it'd be a little freaky with the sound being out of sync with the movements like when the tracking goes bad on a video etc. very interesting idea tho. i won't jack it :)

sleeper
09-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by dean moriaty
it'd be a little freaky with the sound being out of sync with the movements like when the tracking goes bad on a video etc. very interesting idea tho. i won't jack it :)

yeah i know i was thinking about how to reconcile that. i was thinking either a very small delay, assuming any delay would fuck with this hypothetical mental linkup people achieve, or obscuring that information, the actions of the players, somehow

dean moriaty
09-05-2005, 02:21 PM
you probably get the same effect at a rave / dance club. then there are no movements to worry about

RopeyLopey
09-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by severin
and the people outside the glass room were given wireless headphones and listened to the stuff how many got lost?

/depends on the number of Czechs currently passing by that location/

that was a good one, haha

Mason R Butler
09-05-2005, 09:00 PM
...who took the idea from Pink Floyd.

soniclovenoize
09-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Mason R Butler

...who took the idea from Pink Floyd.
Yeah, I know, you told me 6 years ago. :rolleyes:

Deleted_User
09-06-2005, 07:51 PM

Yeah, I know, you told me 6 years ago. :rolleyes: yeah get with it mason.

pink_ribbon_scars
09-07-2005, 02:55 PM
that's cool that Pink Floyd did it a long time ago, and the Flaming Lips, too.

sleeper, your idea is really cool, but i have hoped for a week to think of something insightful or cool to say in reply, and i am finally giving up. it's the type of conversation i could have in person, you know, bouncing ideas off each other and saying some things that might not make good sense in order to get to the things that do make sense, but right now i'm without anything to say. i'm sorry.