View Full Version : Mini-DV cam help?

RumoredToTheS&N
01-04-2003, 07:04 AM
well, based on the spec sheets you have linked, i would probably say the panasonic has a leg up on the jvc. they both have the same ccd specs, so the color definition and depth should be pretty similar (although picture quality with a single-ccd camera will always be a little weak). the panasonic has a slightly better optical zoom, which is the only zoom you'll want to use. digital "zoom" is utterly worthless. the panasonic also has audio inputs, so you can hook up a real microphone to it if you want, rather than suffering with the built-in piece of shit that usually gets tacked on to the front of those things. jvc pretty much speciallizes in mini-dv, whereas panasonic dedicates more effort into full size dv, but i've heard some bad (granted, second-hand) stories about jvc decks and cameras. my old cbs affiliate is still using their panasonic dvc decks and cams from several years ago without too much complaint, so there's that for what it's worth. good luck. :)

fallingtogether
01-08-2003, 02:31 AM
if you're on a budget, get a nice sony or canon hi8 for around 250. the upgarde to digital 8 isn't worth it, in my opinion. in a way, they're more convenient for taping -- you get 120 minutes a tape as opposed to 60 or 80 for miniDV. of course, some quality loss, too, but you'll get very good images and not break the bank. i would not buy a camcorder that is not sony or canon -- the optics of most other companies are just not as good. if you're going to spend a few hundred dollars and commit shows to tape, spend a little more to assure quality. you won't have a canon or sony break on you unless you abuse it.
those camcorders look virtually identical on the important specs but the JVC has no audio input -- major disadvantage. you NEED an audio input unless you're going to sync a DAT afterwards.

sarmatianus
01-08-2003, 06:22 PM
I'd say the same as Rumored...just get the BEST you can for the money you've got. Like audio. So miniDV, definitely.

Things I like about my camera (which is a Canon GL-1, mind you, so some of this might not be in your ones):

Progressive frame mode (and you can still do widescreen and digital zoom with it, unlike in Sonys)
Cable compatibility (RCAs, S-Video, FireWire, etc)
Mic in (although an XLR in would be much easier)
Built in MIC ATT
Tally lamp can be turned off
3CCD

Yeah, I'm a happy camper.