View Full Version : I think the fact that Jeff Buckley's dead makes me more interested in his music.

Nate the Grate
01-03-2003, 10:57 PM
Does anybody else feel this way also? Or, well, about any dead musician for that matter. It's just kind of creepy listening to those 4-track recordings on "Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk" are kind of creepy, but they really intrigue me at the same time. Maybe that's kind of weird, but I just find myself thinking about his death everytime I listen to him. It's kind of like when you watch an old home video tape of a dead relative. It's creepy, sad, and kind of interesting all at the same time.

Or maybe I'm just weird. :erm

np: Jeff Buckley- Opened Once [how can you NOT like this song?]

bonsor
01-04-2003, 04:28 AM
His life was lamentably short. I can't help but think what a tragic loss his death was to the music community. Had he lived, he would be huge right now. There is no doubt in my mind that that would be the case.

And he was so damn hot, too.

Samsa
01-04-2003, 04:35 AM
i'm trying to find that "what will you say" video for my sister and CAN'T. she's like in love with him or something. i never really thought about it until now and it's relaly bothering me. ij ust keep thinking like, who the fuck dies like that? you know? it's really bothering me. like. how dare he die. dammit!

Mason R Butler
01-04-2003, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by ******
His life was lamentably short. I can't help but think what a tragic loss his death was to the music community. Had he lived, he would be huge right now. There is no doubt in my mind that that would be the case.

I don't think so. He was mediocre at best. People are only excited at the potential of dead musicians. Whoever said death is the greatest career move is absolutely right.

Mason R Butler
01-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Graveflower

http://www.dragondata.com/~mich/forum/images/smilies/shakehead.gif
Oh, come off it. Until somebody can point me to a better example of his work than "Grace", my opinion will not be able to change. Trust me, I love jumping bandwagons, but I just don't see the big deal here.

Jeff Buckley's Angel
01-04-2003, 02:32 PM

hey babeh.

Undone
01-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by I Hate Music

I don't think so. He was mediocre at best. People are only excited at the potential of dead musicians. Whoever said death is the greatest career move is absolutely right.

<font color="CC33CC">Yeah, tell that to all his fans that loved him before he died. I'm damned happy that I didn't find out about him until a year or so afterwards b/c I would have emotionally freaked out. It's funny that some people can't understand the concept that others honest to god love a musician even if they don't. Keep making assumptions that we're on a bandwagon though. :) </font>

bonsor
01-04-2003, 04:39 PM

I don't think so. He was mediocre at best. People are only excited at the potential of dead musicians. Whoever said death is the greatest career move is absolutely right. That's your opinion.

sawdust restaurants
01-04-2003, 05:05 PM
When I bought Grace (late '99, I think--same time I bought The Soft Bulletin and Gish. What a great day), I didn't realize he was dead, but I fell in love with it on first listen.

Undone
01-04-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants
When I bought Grace (late '99, I think--same time I bought The Soft Bulletin and Gish. What a great day), I didn't realize he was dead, but I fell in love with it on first listen.

<font color="CC33CC">I bought Sketches first, strangely enough. It was used for less than 7 bucks. When I was told he was dead, it was no big deal b/c I hadn't heard of him for one and for some reason assumed he was just some old geezer folksy guy. So when I bought that 'album' I was surprised. Most of it really didn't hit me except a few songs. But when I got Grace I was blown away. And then when I dl'ed other songs -- :eek: pure love!</font>

Mason R Butler
01-04-2003, 06:24 PM
That's your opinion.
That's true.

And Undone, I understand what you're talking about. I guess I'm just saying, in a rather rude way, that I don't really like Jeff Buckley. I'm sure I could stand to give him another chance.

Undone
01-04-2003, 07:54 PM
And Undone, I understand what you're talking about. I guess I'm just saying, in a rather rude way, that I don't really like Jeff Buckley. I'm sure I could stand to give him another chance.

<font color="CC33CC">But I don't care if you don't like Jeff. I can understand though, b/c I'd sabotage an Interpol thread in a heartbeat. Not that there can be any comparison whatsoever between the musicians.</font>

palidor
01-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Dead or alive, he's one of the most amazing musicians I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Grace is my favorite album of all time -- and it's not because he's dead, it's because the music is incredible.

I'd also like to add that I didn't fall in love with Grace until I saw the Live in Chicago DVD. Often times I don't really love a particular artist or their music until I get a chance to see them live, and that concert blew me away.

So anyways, if you just think Grace is "good" but nothing special, at least give the Live at Chicago DVD a shot...