View Full Version : i actually read through the machina booklet this morning

Izzle
08-21-2005, 08:28 AM
it took a while. you really have to squint cause the writing is so small. but for what its worth, i think the machina story is, for all its pretence and trite symbolism, quite beautiful. and somehow i can sort of see where billy was going with it. i think its easier to try and understand the different "philosophical" comments it makes individually rather than in the light of the whole narrative, which is just too confusing (for me at least). and as cheesy as they were, i liked the GATMOG cartoons too, haha. i wonder if billy still endorses the whole machina concept.

Starla
08-21-2005, 08:55 AM
I think Billy lives the Machina story in his head.

Iamone6942
08-21-2005, 12:41 PM
i think the machina booklet was ruined to me in a way when i heard about the"mystery "stuff. i love the artwork in it. you could spend an entire day just trying to figure out what one of the paintings is trying to say.i like that.bu the whole"7 chapters" thing is so rediculously cryptic and impossible to follow. i started to read the first one and lost interest almost immediately. but the concept of the mystery is quite fascinating.

WalkingStrayz
08-21-2005, 12:59 PM
i tried reading it once, but the small strange font made it unbearable. not the easiest piece of literature to understand as well.

LSB
08-21-2005, 01:34 PM
i think it went something like "it will end when seven are one."

well lets see:

gish, siamese dream, pisces iscariot, mellon collie AND infinite sadness, adore, machina

those are seven discs and when songs from each are compiled onto one disc then it (the band) will be finished

Izzle
08-21-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by LSB

well lets see:

gish, siamese dream, pisces iscariot, mellon collie AND infinite sadness, adore, machina

those are seven discs and when songs from each are compiled onto one disc then it (the band) will be finished

hahaha. where did you get that?

Marquee Moon
08-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Kafanov's website still has a Smashing Pumpkins gallery section, which *******s some shots of his work being used as part of the stage design. There are also some paintings he did that resemble the Machina plates but weren't used for the CD artwork. I especially like this one:

http://kafanov.com/images/paintings/alchemy/images/Alchemist.jpg

spank_thru101
08-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Marquee Moon
Kafanov's website still has a Smashing Pumpkins gallery section, which *******s some shots of his work being used as part of the stage design. There are also some paintings he did that resemble the Machina plates but weren't used for the CD artwork. I especially like this one:

very cool

dean moriaty
08-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Marquee Moon

i like that

smashingjj
08-21-2005, 04:46 PM
the artwork is better than the album

oddhandle
08-21-2005, 05:02 PM
That booklet smells funny, doesn't it?

I swear to God I could pick out the Machina booklet while blindfolded on smell alone.

This hasn't been discussed nearly enough. My entire "Machina Mystery" paper was on how the booklet stinks, and is therefore a metaphor for the entire album. Funny, I never heard back.

'|' jIMMY '|'
08-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by LSB

well lets see:

Simple answer..

"THE SMASHING PUMPKINS PROPHECY"

Thanks to LSB.

Sapphire
08-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by oddhandle

I swear to God I could pick out the Machina booklet while blindfolded on smell alone.

This hasn't been discussed nearly enough. My entire "Machina Mystery" paper was on how the booklet stinks, and is therefore a metaphor for the entire album. Funny, I never heard back.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Deleted_User
08-21-2005, 05:29 PM
the artwork alone makes it entirely worth it to spend 30+ on the vinyl.

plus the album sounds amazing on vinyl anyways.

Ronnie Eagle
08-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Machina is the sound God wants you to hear whether your ready or not.

dean moriaty
08-22-2005, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by refills 79 cents

thoroughly agreed. and it's printed bigger so you can read the writing

Fritter
08-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by oddhandle

haha.

WalkingStrayz
08-22-2005, 10:35 AM

yea it does, i got mine for approx. 20. the see through paper where the glass and the machines of god excerpts are written is pretty cool.

by the way, i like the smell of the machina booklet.

Gollum
08-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Ronnie Eagle
Machina is the sound God wants you to hear whether your ready or not.

StillBecomingApart
08-22-2005, 12:35 PM

Nah, it sounds like the CD. The "I of the Mourning" clips at the end of the song, like the CD. It's just the same digital master put in vinyl form.

But, yeah, the artwork is beautiful

dean moriaty
08-22-2005, 02:11 PM
same master but it sounds richer on vinyl. kind of creamy, mmmmmm