View Full Version : Why pay for internet...

bardy
08-20-2005, 12:56 PM
When I can get wireless for free? Seriously, does anyone encrypt their shit anymore? I just moved into my new place and there are a total of... 5 wireless connections available to me. My favorite it called "T&A"

Mooney
08-20-2005, 01:00 PM
yeah, i might have to wait and see if i can hijack some wireless when i move into my bachelor pad in a couple of weeks.

Dead
08-20-2005, 01:01 PM
That's a crime.

DeviousJ
08-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Watch out - some guy got convicted for 'hacking' by using someone's unencrypted network

bardy
08-20-2005, 01:02 PM
eh, last year my roommate and I mooched off of someone elses wireless connection for an entire year. We had our own (secure)wireless connection that we were paying for, but ours sucked so we used theirs.

I think it should be free game if the people don't protect their connection somehow. It's not like its complicated.

bardy
08-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ
Watch out - some guy got convicted for 'hacking' by using someone's unencrypted network

how'd they figure out where the guy was? It's not like the thing's got a GPS on each user. Theoretically I could use someone elses connection to download illegal mp3s and whatever, and then hop back over to mine to legally surf the internet.

Not that I have or would do something like that, but it's an idea.

StillBecomingApart
08-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Dead
That's a crime.

It's a crime to have things that you can't understand completely? :D

I mean... if you cannot protect your wireless gateway... why you use it? :D

DeviousJ
08-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by vipbrj

how'd they figure out where the guy was? It's not like the thing's got a GPS on each user. Theoretically I could use someone elses connection to download illegal mp3s and whatever, and then hop back over to mine to legally surf the internet.

Not that I have or would do something like that, but it's an idea.

Wellll, I guess they'd have a record of an unauthorized access with the guy's mac address (that's a unique number every network card has), then they'd go looking for him by listening out for that card broadcasting stuff and probably triangulating the signal or some crap. Then SWAT goes in.

I reckon you'd be safer if you kept on the move though. I think that guy who was convicted was hanging around outside someone's building all the time. They might start taking it seriously though because it's possible for people to get up to all kinds of illegal things on other people's networks and the owners get the blame

bardy
08-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ

Wellll, I guess they'd have a record of an unauthorized access with the guy's mac address (that's a unique number every network card has), then they'd go looking for him by listening out for that card broadcasting stuff and probably triangulating the signal or some crap. Then SWAT goes in.

I reckon you'd be safer if you kept on the move though. I think that guy who was convicted was hanging around outside someone's building all the time. They might start taking it seriously though because it's possible for people to get up to all kinds of illegal things on other people's networks and the owners get the blame

yeah, thats true, I forgot about the mac address. Oh well, I live in a complex full of college kids who are probably too busy drinking beer/smoking pot to check who is using their internet connection. And you'd think if they knew how to check to see who was on their connection they'd also know how to secure it.

sppunk
08-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Hm, how do I know my wireless network is safe from scumbags like you from stealing my connection?

DeviousJ
08-20-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by vipbrj

yeah, thats true, I forgot about the mac address. Oh well, I live in a complex full of college kids who are probably too busy drinking beer/smoking pot to check who is using their internet connection. And you'd think if they knew how to check to see who was on their connection they'd also know how to secure it.

If you can access their printers try sending a page saying 'YOUR COMPUTER IS HAUNTED'

Chris, read the damn manual for your damn router

Rider
08-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by sppunk
Hm, how do I know my wireless network is safe from scumbags like you from stealing my connection?

Easy just set up the router so that it only allows traffic from certain mac addresses. That's not the only thing you can you but it is one of the simplest. I also have mine network setup with static IP's and only allow certain IP's to connect to it. Theres probably about 5-6 simple things to do to make it ahrd for people to use your network.

GlasgowKiss
08-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by sppunk

Dont worry unless they make it past the barbed wire and snipers onto your estate close enough to the mansion to use your network you'll be ok.

sppunk
08-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Rider

Easy just set up the router so that it only allows traffic from certain mac addresses. That's not the only thing you can you but it is one of the simplest. I also have mine network setup with static IP's and only allow certain IP's to connect to it. Theres probably about 5-6 simple things to do to make it ahrd for people to use your network. None of this makes any sense to me. :) Yay!