View Full Version : Well, the Chicago Bears have no QB again

Tchocky
08-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Grossman out 3-4 months with broken left ankle

By Larry Mayer
August 12, 2005

ST. LOUIS, Mo. - So much for lightning not striking twice in the same place.

Bears quarterback Rex Grossman, who missed the final 13 games of last season with a knee injury, broke his left ankle in Friday night's preseason game at St. Louis, an injury that will require surgery and sideline the 2003 first-round pick 3-4 months.

In a scene that was hauntingly similar to last season, Grossman was carted off the field with 11:08 left in the second quarter of Friday night's preseason game against the Rams in St. Louis with an injured left ankle.

After being spun down by linebacker Trev Albert while completing a 4-yard pass to tight end Darnell Sanders, Grossman was helped to his feet, limped a few steps towards the Bears bench, motioned for a trainer, then sat back down on the turf, grasping his leg while grimacing in pain.

Bears trainers and doctors attended to Grossman for about five minutes before a cart took him into the locker room for X-rays.

The promising young quarterback missed the final 13 games of last season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in a loss at Minnesota.

Pick your poison, Bears fans: Orton or Hutchinson?

:rofl:

Esty
08-12-2005, 10:21 PM
I wasn't going to waste my time with them this year even with Grossman.

Trotskilicious
08-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Grossman sucks anyway.

Tchocky
08-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Esty
I wasn't going to waste my time with them this year even with Grossman.

If I were the Bears, I'd have gone after Plaxico Burress instead of Mushin Muhammed and drafted Mike Williams instead of Cedric Benson. The only reason Mushin had a monster season last year is because all the other Panthers' options on offense were either hurt or ineffective. Call it "David Boston Syndrome". As for Benson...I've never been a fan of slow-as-dirt power backs.

The Bears are gonna BLOW worse than ever this year, unless their defense carries them ala 2001.

Hello, #1 pick next year (and hello, Matt Leinart)

Trotskilicious
08-12-2005, 10:38 PM
1. Mushin Muhammed is a consumate professional and has been for some time.

2. Having Plaxico AND Mike Williams makes about as little sense as having Mike Williams, Carlos Rogers and Roy Williams on the same team.

3. Running backs are more valuable than WR.

4. I have Plaxico on my Bears team in Madden 05. Aaron Brooks is the QB.

5. Lineart won't be #1.

Tchocky
08-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Trotskilicious
1. Mushin Muhammed is a consumate professional and has been for some time.

2. Having Plaxico AND Mike Williams makes about as little sense as having Mike Williams, Carlos Rogers and Roy Williams on the same team.

3. Running backs are more valuable than WR.

4. I have Plaxico on my Bears team in Madden 05. Aaron Brooks is the QB.

5. Lineart won't be #1.

1. Muhammed is also slow-as-dirt, inconsistent (look at his year-to-year-stats if you don't believe me) and 33 years old. Burress (while a head case) is potentially the most dangerous deep threat in the NFL not named Randy Moss.

2. Plaxico and Mike Williams would be perfect compliments for each other. Burress would be the deep threat while Mike grabbed the underneath stuff. And as for the three Lions receivers, let's just say Joey Harrington was 9-for-9 for 100 yards in his first preseason game.

4. RBs are not on the field as much as WRs, especially RBs who can't catch passes (coughBENSONcough), and they don't break as many big plays as top WRs, so they're not as valuable.

5. That's funny. How good (or bad) are they?

6. Yes he will be (unless the Niners draft #1 again)

neopryn
08-12-2005, 10:57 PM
burress isn't worth the trouble. he's just as bad as moss and owens with half the stats.

Nimrod's Son
08-12-2005, 10:57 PM
I am glad the Giants signed Burress. He and Toomer give them a good deep core.

Tchocky
08-12-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by neopryn
burress isn't worth the trouble. he's just as bad as moss and owens with half the stats.

He's going to make Eli Manning look better this year.

And no receiver had fallen off more than Toomer has the past couple of seasons. He needs to step up a little more.

Tchocky
08-12-2005, 11:08 PM
If Tom Coughlin can't instill discipline into Burress, no one can.

vbshlofbvgos
08-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Tchocky
The only reason Mushin had a monster season last year is because all the other Panthers' options on offense were either hurt or ineffective.
What other options do the Bears have on offense?

Tchocky
08-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by vbshlofbvgos

What other options do the Bears have on offense?

At least the Panthers had a decent QB that could get Mushin the ball.

Delhomme>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hutchinson and Orton combined.

Trotskilicious
08-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
I am glad the Giants signed Burress. He and Toomer give them a good deep core.

I wouldn't say Toomer is much of a deep threat. He's more of an Art Monk type.

Trotskilicious
08-12-2005, 11:30 PM

5. That's funny. How good (or bad) are they?

They're good and fun to play. Their linebacking corps is so fast, I have Fujita, Urlacher, and Boulware.

As far as the Benson catching thing, the bears still have Thomas Jones who will be an excellent 3rd down back. Benson is a straight ahead runner, but those guys are extremely valuable for the first five years. I have a feeling Benson's taking the torch from Eddie George as far as straight ahead runners go.

Trotskilicious
08-12-2005, 11:31 PM

6. Yes he will be (unless the Niners draft #1 again)

At the beginning of last year did anyone really expect Alex Smith to be the top draft pick? No.

Lineart is overrated.

Tchocky
08-12-2005, 11:34 PM

Lineart is overrated.

Alex Smith is overrated. He was a product of Urban Meyer, who is going to do to Chris Leak in Florida what he did to Smith in Utah. Leinart is overrated, but he'll still be the first player chosen, if for no other reason, because top QBs usually go #1.

Tchocky
08-12-2005, 11:41 PM

They're good and fun to play. Their linebacking corps is so fast, I have Fujita, Urlacher, and Boulware.

As far as the Benson catching thing, the bears still have Thomas Jones who will be an excellent 3rd down back. Benson is a straight ahead runner, but those guys are extremely valuable for the first five years. I have a feeling Benson's taking the torch from Eddie George as far as straight ahead runners go.

That's a helluva LB corps! :D

Point taken about Benson, but I expect that Jones won't be a Bear after this season, because they gave him a crapload of cash. They'll need to find another third-down back.

It's a pity, because Jones was coming into his own last year. If the Bears had any iota of a passing game last year, he'd have broken 1,300 yards rushing.

Elvis The Fat Years
08-13-2005, 05:48 PM
Welcome to Chicago sports. haha I'm a K.C. fan, fuck the bears. Here's some good news...

The Bulls will tip off the team’s 40th season at the United Center on Wednesday, November 2, when the Bobcats come to town.

YaY!!

Orenthal James
08-13-2005, 07:10 PM
i love Muhsin Muhammad.

his dad was on a marketing package and checked in where i work and i spoke with him on the phone. he was really cool.

Mayfuck
08-14-2005, 01:52 AM
why doesnt anyone tell me why tchocky knows so much abotu football.

he lives in god damn oxford

Oblivious
08-14-2005, 01:57 AM
the bears camp is right across the street from my place of employment.

Mayfuck
08-14-2005, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Oblivious
the bears camp is right across the street from my place of employment.

no one gives a shit you backwoods bitch

Trotskilicious
08-14-2005, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
why doesnt anyone tell me why tchocky knows so much abotu football.

he lives in god damn oxford

I don't know, it's bugging the hell out of me too. I think he has the NFL network on satellite feed or something.