View Full Version : is biting your nails really that bad for you?

SuckSuckStyle
07-18-2005, 10:18 AM
i mean come on

virago
07-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Germs. But hey, I eat with my hands, and many germs are airborne. And when you speak to people, their germs blow directly into your mouth. You probably kiss people, right? Nah, I don't think it increases risks of becoming sick that very much.

What other dangers could there possibly be in nail-biting?

Orchestra
07-18-2005, 10:23 AM
No its really not.
Unless you don't wear gloves when you handle shit, or never wash your hands.

GlasgowKiss
07-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Its good for signposting nervous wrecks.

Meladori_Star
07-18-2005, 11:33 AM
No, it's not. It's bad for your teeth but if your nails are as thin and brittle as mine are, that doesn't even really matter.

As for the normal everyday germs (i.e. not Hepitiis or Ecoli) you can't get sick by ingesting them. Most germs are destroyed in the contents of your stomach. You get sick by inhaling germs which are absorbed through your nasal membranes or by rubbing your eyes.

There you go, I've gone and justified it. Just wash your hands regularly.

Hera
07-18-2005, 11:41 AM
you know if you accidentally swallow a sliver of nail, it is possible that it will stab into your digestive tract and cause mild pain.

virago
07-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Hera
you know if you accidentally swallow a sliver of nail, it is possible that it will stab into your digestive tract and cause mild pain. :eek:

SuckSuckStyle
07-18-2005, 11:43 AM
you know if you accidentally swallow a sliver of nail, it is possible that it will stab into your digestive tract and cause mild pain.

i said bite them. not eat them. that's gross.

TIMb
07-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by SuckSuckStyle
i said bite them. not eat them. that's gross.

yeah. biting them and spitting them out all over the place is much less gross. :erm

Hera
uh yeah let me repeat this slowly for you........if.....you .......accidentally........swallow........them.... .

ChristHimself!
is biting your nails really that bad for you?

only if you're poking your arse with the same finger first

SuckSuckStyle
07-18-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by TIMb

yeah. biting them and spitting them out all over the place is much less gross. :erm

i never spit them out. i take them out of my mouth and either throw them away or put them in my pocket until i am able to put them in the proper waste recepticle.

SuckSuckStyle
07-18-2005, 11:46 AM
uh yeah let me repeat this slowly for you........if.....you .......accidentally........swallow........them.... .

i know lol im a jerk

TIMb
07-18-2005, 11:47 AM
i never spit them out. i take them out of my mouth and either throw them away or put them in my pocket until i am able to put them in the proper waste recepticle.

very responsible. carry on.

Hera
07-18-2005, 11:48 AM
you people do know that nail clippers can be found at pretty much ANY store anywhere for about 39 cents,, dont you?

SuckSuckStyle
07-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by TIMb

very responsible. carry on.

yeah. it sounds kinda weird. my friend was like "you carry fingernails around in your pocket?!"

but it's not really that gross. it's my nail. i'ts my pocket. not that big of deal. and i really do throw them out when i find a waste basket. would you rather i just scatter them around your bedroom floor? or your car? or kitchen?

ammy
07-18-2005, 11:50 AM
you people do know that nail clippers can be found at pretty much ANY store anywhere for about 39 cents,, dont you?

biting one's nails has nothing to do with a need for clipping.

SuckSuckStyle
07-18-2005, 11:50 AM

usually people dont bite them to keep them short...it's a nervous habit.

Hera
07-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by ammy

biting one's nails has nothing to do with a need for clipping. yes it does.....clipping is the solution to the problem, if you have no nails to bite. you have no nail biting problem

ammy
07-18-2005, 12:01 PM
yes it does.....clipping is the solution to the problem, if you have no nails to bite. you have no nail biting problem

not true. if you have no nails to bite, you bite so far it hurts, and or start on your cuticles.

talk about things you understand!

bardy
I have never bit my nails and it's really annoying to watch someone do. So maybe its bad for you in the sense that it annoys the shit out of people that don't bite their nails.

SuckSuckStyle
yes it does.....clipping is the solution to the problem, if you have no nails to bite. you have no nail biting problem

not at all.

if i showed you my nails you'd say that they were too short and couldnt even be clippable. then i'd bite/rip a sizeable piece off because i was nervous.

Hera
07-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by ammy

not true. if you have no nails to bite, you bite so far it hurts, and or start on your cuticles.

talk about things you understand! I guess I don't understand because I'm not a neurotic like you :rolleyes:

Hera
07-18-2005, 12:06 PM

not at all.

if i showed you my nails you'd say that they were too short and couldnt even be clippable. then i'd bite/rip a sizeable piece off because i was nervous. isnt there some kind of polish out there that tastes really bad? it's made for nail biters

ammy
07-18-2005, 12:24 PM
I guess I don't understand because I'm not a neurotic like you :rolleyes:

uh, burn?

twilightfadez
07-18-2005, 12:31 PM
that's weird, i never got into the habit of bitting my nails...and kinda think i should've considering i am a nervous wreck

Eulogy
07-18-2005, 12:34 PM
don't think less of me

But I have in the past chewed on nails until they came apart into tiny little bits...and then I suppose eventually I swallowed them.

good lord that's disgusting. My sister had bitten her nails in our car and put them in the cupholder, and I saw them yesterday and flipped out sort of. I don't make any sense sometimes.

Varien
07-18-2005, 12:44 PM
isnt there some kind of polish out there that tastes really bad? it's made for nail biters

yes...

Thoughtless
07-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I don't bite mine, but I pick at them with the opposite hand.

Also, Hera is really fucking stupid.

mirrar
07-18-2005, 02:06 PM
my dad is usually so stressed he gnaws on his cuticles until they're all bloody and sore. it's gross :(

wHATcOLOR
07-18-2005, 02:10 PM

not at best buy

pee pee colada
07-18-2005, 02:13 PM
i bite my nails like crazy. they don't look so bad from afar, but when you get up close and see all the disfigurement is like...uh...ew.

jczeroman
07-18-2005, 03:53 PM
I bite mine like crazy. I need to stop. I have no idea/drive for how to accomplish it though.

bornentertainer
07-18-2005, 08:29 PM
I bite mine like crazy too. But, I just painted my nails, so that should stop me from doing it. I hate it so much, but that's the only thing I can do to make me stop.

crystalline
07-18-2005, 09:32 PM
i'm surprised there haven't been pictoral references in this thread thus far.